Home made lures

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Sweeeeeet lookin Coop!!!!!

The smallies will nail them beauties!!!!

F.F
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

Those look awesome!!!!
Talk to Mr.J--He makes a real nice looking bucktail spinner
Norm
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Good Job!!

Post by dana »

...from scratch?

df
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Very Nice

Post by Mr.J. »

Smitty wrote:Good job Coop - I make my own lures also - we should get the bait makers together and have a swap in January....I will post some pics of the lures I made - they are on my home computer.

Smitty
Wow waht a great idea, go for it and I'll be in for sure.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

bottom feeder wrote:Those look awesome!!!!
Talk to Mr.J--He makes a real nice looking bucktail spinner
Norm
And I look forward to taking your picture with a nice fish when you get to use one of my bucktail spinnerbaits on the rear deck of my boat. :D
Coop
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Good Job!!

Post by Coop »

dana wrote:...from scratch?

df
Well Gamakatsu mad the hooks, I believe mustad made the splitrings and I don't know who made the eyes. But I blocked the tree limb, carved the body, painted and put together everything else.

As for a swap meet, that would be cool, but I think February would be better so everyone could have a chance to make a few lures. Just a thought.
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

right on Mr J. But lets wait til ice out--ok? I have a date with some hard water this winter.
Norm
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Great job Coop, right down to the paint finish! They look amazing.
bassman
Participant
Participant

Home made

Post by bassman »

I'm also making my own plastics this winter, I have found a distributor in Canada for the Liquid plastic and I'm now making my own molds. Senkos, grubs and top water frogs, a variety of colors with garlic and salt to taste.
Coop
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Coop »

Would love to see some of them plastics when you're done bassman.
bassman
Participant
Participant

Home made

Post by bassman »

When I have some ready I'll let you know, I'll send you some, so that I can get some feed back.
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

I just started pouring my own plastics also. I am only pouring senko's so far and here is a pic of a few I did tonight.Image. Hey bassman where is the distributor for plastic in Canada? I have bought all my supplies so far from Del-Mart in the states and the shipping and duty is killing me. If you could PM me the distributor I would really appreciate it.
bassman
Participant
Participant

Liquid plastic

Post by bassman »

Here you go the cost for 1 gallon including shipping was $97.00. I couldn't bring myself to pay the customs charges. Do you add salt to yours and if you do how well do they mix together.

http://www.fhsons.com/
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

Here you go the cost for 1 gallon including shipping was $97.00.
:shock:

Wow that's expensive. I use Calhouns soft plastic and even with shipping,duty and exchange it's nowhere near that price. Check out Del-Mart molds online and you will see the prices are much better than that. They have a complete stik kit that is only $89 us and it comes with everything you need to make 350 senkos.
Do you add salt to yours and if you do how well do they mix together
Yes I am using salt and it is a little tough at first to get the mixture right but once you do it a couple of time it's easy. I read that some guys "flour" their salt(grind it real fine in a coffee grinder) and I tried that and all it did was clump. Use Sea Salt it works the best. If you want to read some real helpful tips go to Tackleunderground and check there soft plastic forum. It is very helpful. Good luck :)
spanky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by spanky »

fishmaster- cheaper then the calhoun (and better imo) is the M-F plastic, $120. U.S. for 5 gallons, including shipping... i just picked up another stix kit from Del today, of course i pick them up in the U.S. and save the extra on shipping/customs/duty/etc. my total was $120ish total CDN

for the salt, you gotta be careful when flouring, just put it 2" past the top of the blades and mix/chop it for a minute or so, i prefer it floured, it stays suspended better, but creates a whitish/milky looking baits... which is where senkosams sugar flakes come in (the best place for glitter if you use low heat http://senkosam.tripod.com/ ), i use the sugar flakes in my firetiger stix, can almost see through them!!!

oh and i got 400ish stix outta my last gallon :P :lol:

and i apologise for hijacking the thread :)