make an ice fishing jigging rod

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

make an ice fishing jigging rod

Post by baz fish »

Hi everybody I got my self a shakespear ugly stick ultralight fishing rod that I dont use to much anymore on open water while today when I was putting some fishing stuff away for the winter season I come accross that rod and I had an idea thats came out of my mind that If I took the first part of the rod out that could make a good ice fishing rod.

Is there anybody of you guys that ever make an ice fishing rod out of an un used fishing rod before and if its yes how thats work. Like I was saying mind its a shakespear uglystyck ultralight rod . And is it possible to put a spinning reel as well on that rod as well.
jbarker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jbarker »

I have made a few out of old rods. cut the rod off right at the handle. Assuming the rod is hollow cut the tip of the rod to the desired length. this should fit inside the handle now. Depending on how much of a gap there is you can glue it into the handle or wrap tape around the butt of the tip untill it fits snug and then glue. works fairly well and is cheap.
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

yes,

Post by muskymuskymusky »

Yeah i have, built this one last year

I just cutt the tip off about 4" longer than i wanted it, then cut the handle off. When cutting the handle part of the rod look for where you can get the snuggest fit for the tip end to slide in. Insert tip end in pvc cement tell it was close to snug fit in handle end. Then i put crazy glue and some duct tape and i was done.
Both a spinning real and bait caster can be used on mine and im sure you could attach any real you like to it after.
I caught a few fish on it last year and it works great you will be happy you built it. 8)

MMM
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

I've made a number of ice rods from older rods and the easiest way to glue or secure the tip into the handle that I found was to use a glue gun. Just shoot a bunch of the hot glue into the handle and shove the rod in. I've got one rod thats over 12 years old done like this and never had a problem.
This is permanent so make sure you do a dry run to make sure the rod tip is the length you want when inserted in the handle and that the eyes are in line with the reel seat.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

MMM, the dreaded Leafs background with the Trolls.
I seem to recall this from last year.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

MT