Big Jon Planner Masts - Looking for a deal

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Markus wrote: You're more likely to get a inlines run over than a planner mast board too.
You are correct Markus...
I usually get my in-lines run over a couple of time a season :wink: I run power pro line so the boat that runs them over gets the worst of the deal because they will need to replace their prop shaft seals.

Cheers'

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

I've had fishermen on Colpoys just about run over my boards, not their fault they just aren't used to seeing them, and they'll be seeing them alot more this coming year :wink: Boards whether in line or other wise are a great tool, that can be used on a lot of waters! Markus I'd buy a mast but apparently my boat came with one :lol: If I could get a pair of the reels to mount on it that would be great, I love watching the sailors roll their eyes as they pass me!
dh99
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dh99 »

Eye tracker

Do the church boards hold on to the power pro or do you need to modify them. Do the lbs test of the line make a difference too. The reason why I am asking is I plan on spooling my reel counter line with PP this year to start trolling crankbaits in the lake here and I might try the inlines if the lake aint to busy. Also looking for a decent rod to equip the line counter with.

Thanks

DH
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

How does Bert compare to Big Jon? (Remembering this is still all new to me).
MT
Bert's Custom Tackle Planer Board 6-ft. Mast System Kit
The Planer Board Mast System gives you the ability to run your lines out up to 150 feet away from the boat for superior coverage of the water with each trolling pass. The masts are crafted of anodized aluminum and each mast is supported by a 1/2" thick heavy-duty aluminum base that slides into a Bert's Track for fast mounting and easy removal when it's time to pack up for the day. The large-diameter reels wind in 1-1/2 feet of line with every revolution and easily adjust up and down on the mast. The built-in adjustable clutch and brake system keep tension on the line as you pay it out to prevent tangles.
Available:

6-ft. Double-Reel Mast Includes a two-piece mast, two planer reels and 150 ft. of planer line for each reel.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Big Jon Dual Planer Rigger
Engineered to last through years of use, this rigger features
1/8" thick wall anodized aluminum, Lexan and stainless steel mast, adjustable disk clutches and stainless steel line guides. This twin-reel manual model has dual reels and swivel pulleys to easily handle planer boards on both the port and starboard sides of your boat simultaneously. You'll cover twice the area you would with a single reel model. Comes complete with 150 ft. of 135-lb. test tow line and a removable base. Two-piece mast.
Height: 72".

BTW, Big John is the less expensive of the 2.

MT
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

One other flavor.

Plane-R-Boom Planer Board Boom
The twin-reel operation has an exclusive built-in brake system for the smoothest board management. Each reel is designed for fast board retrieval and is spooled with 150 ft. of high-viz fluorescent 150-lb.-test towline. Removable 4-ft. stainless steel boom secures to surface with rugged machined aluminum mounting base. Four mounting knobs included.

$10US less than Big Jon.

MT
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Bill, as long as not planning on working today....look up some Can prices on the Big Jon so the group can gauge what a good deal is.
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

Mt I have an older Big Jon mast (age ?) bought it used.
Its about a 5 footerI beleive. Still works great. If I need to higher up on the mast there is a piece that can be purchased that will do it.
In my thoughts sometimes it is better to go with a good brand name in some things.
We all have preferences to equippment as in our thoughts of downriggers.
If they make one that floats :lol: I know who will be first in line to get it :lol:
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Markus wrote:Bill, as long as not planning on working today....look up some Can prices on the Big Jon so the group can gauge what a good deal is.
Sorry Markus, couldn't shop, was too busy surfing and didn't see this till too late. :lol:
Now I have to go home and do real work. :(

M.T. Livewell
g unis
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

mast

Post by g unis »

guys when you mount if you can put a plate underneath the deck also, it supports the deck unless it mounts in the front seat hole.. some guys use weed wacker line for the reels but be carefull. it swells in heat and will split your reel.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Good tips G unis. I just replaced my wacker line with nylon. I prefer the nylon....not only visable, but the clips seem to slide along it easier.

I have a steel plate supporting my current pole seat. I'm hoping the Big Jon will fit niely in it so I don't have to make changes.
RV
Participant
Participant

Post by RV »

Markus theirs a place in town here you can get those big jhon double masts for $289 pm me if you want the phone #.
JFish
Participant
Participant

Post by JFish »

With what I have right now I find that the nylon is awesome. I don't see why anyone would use something else? Maybe it's price. I know that I have seen the nylon line sold in many smaller shops for upwards of $40 :shock: Anyways, I looked around and found that BP in Vaughn Mills sold it for under 10 bucks for 150 yards. Just incase in anyone was looking.

JFish
Joe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe »

I went to Fishing World this morning.

They normally retail there at $329, if we buy 4 he'll give us $40 off each. That brings them to $289 which is the normal price at the place RV suggested.

The bad news (for me anyway) is he said that Big Jon no longer make the seat hole adapter.

Anybody else come up with anything?
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i was about to join in the fun, but without a seat pole adapter, its a no go for me.