Ice hut rental around ottawa??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
dh99
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ice hut rental around ottawa??

Post by dh99 »

HI guys

I am planning to meet up with some friends from southern ontario in ottawa (halfway) sometime this winter and they have always wanted to go ice fishing. We use to fish Simcoe all the time and they wanted to coem with us but we moved before we could do it.

I got all the gear,a portable, rods and a VEX but since these people are not hard core fisherman I think a heat hut would be the best. Do you guys know of any outfitters around ottawa that rents huts, looking to fish for perch, walleye anything really as long as there is some action once in a while. What time of the year would be the best to go?

Thanks DH
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

''Petrie Island Bait and Tackle
1009 Trim Road North,
Cumberland, Ontario K4A 3P4
Phone: (613) 841-0778 Fax: (613) 841-9888
Contact person: Yves Grandmaitre

Directions from Ottawa: Take Highway #417 east to the 417/174 split, continue east towards Orleans on Highway #174. After the Place D'Orleans Mall exit on Trim Road. Follow Trim Road north to Petrie Island. Entrance to the ice is located just after the Petrie Island Bait and Tackle shop.
Services available for ice fishing: Full service bait and tackle shop, ice hut rentals, summer storage for private ice huts.''
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Baitcasters on Mississippi Lake rents shacks, as does Constance Lake Lodge, on Constance Lake near Kanata. I think Sandy Hook Bait in Arnprior rents them, plus there's a couple in Constance/Buckhams Bay, (Bayview Bait, and "Tommy")
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Be advised...

At Petrie you cannot fish in the hut.....no holes can be drilled inside the hut... :shock: :roll:

RJ
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Really?? No holes inside the hut?? What is that :shock:

My second choice would be Baitcasters on Mississippi. Last years walleye fishing was amazing, numbers were great and a few nice fish over 20inches.They really put you on top of the fish :D
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

What is the good of a "ice-fishing hut" if there are no holes to fish thru . I thought the :idea: was to sit inside the hut and fish out of the elements.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

So did I :?

I don't have never seen of an ''ice fishing shack'' with no holes in it. :shock:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Unless things changed when Yves took over....they will not drill holes inside the hut....

Apparently too many people thru stuff down the holes and he kept damaging his auger... :roll:

It sure was a surprise to a few who paid at the tackle shop and drove out to find no holes in the hut....

RJ
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

The huts they have there at least up until now have had no holes because of people getting drunk and putting empty bottles in the holes..broken glass, garbage...even as bad as human waste. They really had no choice in the matter. It was causing pollution and making a huge mess down there.
If the people rnting would have been more responsible then the holes would likely still be there.

They have huts to pop in and out of for warmth and holes outside.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Wouldn't it be cheaper to sit in your car for warmth?... :lol:
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Just sayin...people wanted to know why..now they know.

Who knows, maybe that changes this year...
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

Maybe when renting a hut you pay a damage deposit up front and is refunded if you behave.
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

CB I agrre with you on the part of some people being irrsponsible icefishing.
Down here we lost alot of parking do to people leaving there garbage lying around.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Bring up the holeless huts to salmon. :lol: To this day, he still blows a cork. :lol:

Can't say I blame him.
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

It is the same now at Rob Hyatts condos in Callander. He used to provide dishes pots cutlery, but got tired of using a magnet to fish them out.
It is the same all over, a few ruin something for the rest
Norm