Flippin' advice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Power Pro and Trilene Big Game

Post by grumpy7790 »

Braid-Great for slop and heavy weeds, the braid cuts through the weeds and allows you snap the jig out of the grass. You need at least 50lb because the smaller diameter of light tests gets caught in between the wraps on the spool when you snap the jig out of the weeds. Then when you make the next pitch the line gets hung in between the wraps and you fall short of your target. Go with 50 or 65lb Power Pro.

Trilene Big Game-Great line when fishing around rocks. Braid is easily cut when used around rocks.

Good Luck,
G
Last edited by grumpy7790 on Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

I would not use anything but Power pro for flippin..well until there is something stronger. I t is by far the best line I have ever used for this application and most others (not all) for that matter. I use 50lb for flippin and froggin..
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

steve-hamilton wrote:rather than moving up, try a different brand....

PowerPro is not the be all end all to braid....

as a matter of fact, most are only using it cause someone told them to use it.

try Fins PRT.
I don't believe that to be true..I do think he is using to light..he should be using 50lb at least in the slop.

I find PP to be the best out there (I have used)..not because someone told me but because I have been through most adn like the sensitivity and strength. Steve I have not tried FinsPRT though.
fish_man_dude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fish_man_dude »

17lb Iron Silk....smoooth casting, and very abrasian resistant. I was flipping for bass in a submerged log field this year and only had to re-tie twice.. :D
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i guess i'm not slopping thick enough, cause i've never broke the 30lbs braid....

anytime anyone would like a person to join you in a slop expedition, i'd love to try some serious sloppin'. :shock:

seriously...i love slop fishing, but dont have a lot of lakes around me that give me the opportunity to "bill dance it up".
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Steve..come to Ottawa....threr are plenty of places to stay including my place!
We'll get into the real thick stuff!!
See ya in the summer!! :D
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i'm gonna take you up on it....

i'll come prepared with some 50+ braid...no screwing around....

:D
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mikey »

steve-hamilton wrote:i'm gonna take you up on it....

i'll come prepared with some 50+ braid...no screwing around....

:D
and 1 oz. flippin jigs to get through it Steve hehehe!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Coop
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Coop »

Anyone flip with fireline?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I don't flip per say.....I like to work around docks alot.....

For that I use 30 pound PP......

I don't change for the sake of change......I like Power Pro....until it fails me....I'll stick to it...

RJ
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fire Line

Post by grumpy7790 »

Too stiff, ok for spinnerbaiting.

G
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Steve...I am happy to hear it..

RJ I have to agrre..that is kinda what I meant.

I don't change for the sake of change...especially when something is so successful
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

Coop wrote:Anyone flip with fireline?
I rarely flip - pitching is more my bag - but regardless of how I get the bait in there, I have to be able to get the fish back out.

I find Fireline is great - the black stuff. Minimum 30 lbs. I should be going heavier and likely will when I re-spool. I admit I am taking a chance with 30 lbs.

It would be hard to argue with Gambler Steve's recommendation - after all - he and Trevor were Renegade Team of the Year.

I like Power Pro too. I just don't like the way it fades to white. I probably just need to re-spool several times a season.

I was interested to hear at Paddletales on Saturday the guys talking about tying on a leader of flouro. Gambler Steve would know - was that in reference to fishing in the slop? Me gots to learn better knots for line-to-line tying with fluoro. My back-to-back uni's of braid to fluoro would never handle it.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Flippin

Post by Seaweed »

I tried the P-Line braid this year as a flipping line in 30 lb test. I didn't like it at all snapped a lot and got wrapped in the eyes of the rod too.

I switched back to a heavy P-line mono 40 lb... and found this much better.

I think I might be switching back to Iron Silk though.... I just found that it came off the reel easier and didn't nest up as bad as some stuff I have used.

I am far from the best flipper though... but every year I get better and my partner this year in Renegade could flip like few I have ever seen..... so I learned a lot.

I have much more confidence in my flipping and pitching now and they produce hawgs like few other baits.
GamblerSteve
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Braid

Post by GamblerSteve »

I tried all kinds of Braided lines, and I think Power Pro is one of the better ones out there. The only down fall I hear about it all the time is it turns white after being used for awhile. Well you can use this as a time gauge to re-tie or what I do is take a black marker and run it up the line about the length of the rod.
Mr. Fishhawk can I call you that?
When we were talking about flouro leaders yes I was using them in the slop but in our second tournament this year in Rockland I lost a good fish due to knot breaking. So I didn't put another on for the rest of the year on my flippin' stick. Not sure if the knots can take the impact from the heavy rods and the no stretch from the braid. I''ll try it again next year but in pre-fish first so it doesn't cost me another fish. But I do use them on my spinning gear and I had no problems with them. We use uni to uni knots.

Steve