Well, Shimano is winning me over again.

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Well, Shimano is winning me over again.

Post by Jimmy_1 »

LOL!

I think the point has been missed here....big time.

My point is and still is...WOW! A lot of $$ for gear.

If its your thing...cool! Not berating you for it....at all! Have at er, fill your boots....awesome....

My point was and still is....

1) Do you catch bigger and better fish as a result? Can you prove it?
2) Most folk don't have that kinda disposable $$ for it.
3) What makes a $500 imported Shimano reel better than a $300 domestic one? How will it improve my fishing? Does it correct my poor casting techniques?

This is what I'd ask myself before buying anything....does it fit my needs.

Call me a tool all ya want, no biggie....
If you need to hurl insults at folk because they ask a simple question about why spend so much (if perhaps its just to have the latest and greatest) then perhaps you should really look at how petty you are. I think the gear is to compensate for a lack of a lot of other things.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

I like my reels to have Brass Gears ..... they match my "Christmas Ornaments".
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Man guys,

Try to keep this from getting too ugly.

Jimmy,

My most expensive reel is a core 100mgfv. I was lucky enough to receive It as a gift and would not trade it for the world. I do not havethe type of disposable income I would like but I save for what I want and get it when I can.

When asking if it will catch you bigger fish, I say the rod has more to do with that than the reel but when you go from a $50.0 baitcaster to a $200.00 one, there is definitely a difference. You will more than likely cast farther, have better control, and the reel is generally smoother. There are also differences when you go from a $200.00 reel to a $400.00 reel. They can be smoother, but are usually made out of lighter materials and are usually more refined.

At this point, I have reels from $150 to $400.00 and they all catch fish. It is just more enjoyable on higher end gear for me. Until you use something In the higher end realm, you just won't understand. What I do undersand it that's enough people use them that they keep producing them so there has got to be a reason for it.

If you are ever out on the Rideau near Kemptville and want to try some of what I have, feel free to pm me and at can see if some in an be arranged.

Adam
Last edited by lape0019 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Adam,

Shimano would probably get more interest from me if they would produce reels with swept handles.
I like the looks of swept handles on a reel. Not that it changes anything in the performance but it's just something I prefer.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Jimmy_1 wrote: If you need to hurl insults at folk because they ask a simple question about why spend so much (if perhaps its just to have the latest and greatest) then perhaps you should really look at how petty you are. I think the gear is to compensate for a lack of a lot of other things.
As I indulged in reminiscence, dwelling in remorse thus "hurling insults", I promptly recollected my thoughts and methodically dissected this thread, pertaining notably to your "simple questions".
Jimmy_1 wrote:Wait......$500 for a reel??

Does it come with a guaranteed 5+lb bass being caught every ten casts?????

YIKES!
Supervened by
Jimmy_1 wrote: So, I am wrong when I state most people have cash to spend on rods and reels in the $500+ range?
Hmmm.....
No kids maybe? Double dippers? Retiree's? Sponsored?
I highly doubt someone in their 30's and 40's, who raises a family, mortgage, car payments etc has that kind of disposable income...especially when the average house price is $300k and the average household salary is $90k....
Unless of course the kids have no extra-curriculars, you take the bus everywhere...which I doubt. Fact is most people live off of credit sadly. (Something I am glad I no longer do) and when thats the case fishing income isnt most people's priority.

My point is the average person does not have the money to consistently walk into a store and buy the latest and greatest with cash! Now if they do, and they get their $$ illegally well thats for the cops and CRA to sort
An endeavour to divert your "Simple questions" to responses like;

Titanium or ceramic line guides...aluminum or forged aluminum, magnesium alloy spools...abec-5, 7, HPCR, ARB, CRBB, ceramic bearings\roller bearings, shielded, double shielded or sealed....graphite, aluminum, magnesium, one-piece frames\side plates...breaking systems...carbon fiber, Zaion components...Carbontex Drag washers, carbon drag...gearing....

In all cases failed.
Jimmy_1 wrote:does it fit my needs
Perspicuously, they do not!

It is to be hoped that I've enlightened your path to exorbitant reels.....as I need to get back to my illegal ways.

Agree to disagree,
The "Simple" Maverick
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

StarTzar wrote:Adam,

Shimano would probably get more interest from me if they would produce reels with swept handles.
I like the looks of swept handles on a reel. Not that it changes anything in the performance but it's just something I prefer.
The Metanium had the closest thing to a swept handle Shimano has ever tried. I love the looks of swept handles as well, but I do not find them to be necessary in order to have a good reel. I would like to see them come out with Factory Carbon Handles at least though. Every other company makes them but the only way you can get one for a shimano is to buy an aftermarket one. You would think they would have put one on the core to lighten it up more, but I guess they were trying to hit a specific price point.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Jimmy,

This cracks me up. Didn't I buy a Shimano Core from you 4 years ago? :lol: :lol: :lol:

RJ
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

RJ wrote:Jimmy,

This cracks me up. Didn't I buy a Shimano Core from you 4 years ago? :lol: :lol: :lol:

RJ
No F-kin way ??? I'd literally be Laughing Out Loud if this is true!
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Jimmy_1 wrote:...WOW! A lot of $$ for gear.
So is a Harley Davidson !!!

1. Do they handle better than a Honda, if so can you prove it ?
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Yes RJ you did!

And I paid basically nothing for it when I bought it used.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

WHAT!?!?!?!?

I don't care how much you spent on it or if you bought it used. That is a quality baitcaster and you should be able to answer these questions yourself.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Jimmy_1 wrote:Yes RJ you did!

And I paid basically nothing for it when I bought it used.
Jimmy,

Then why are you so bluntly questioning the performance and components of a high end reel if you’ve already owned one?
Is it because the Core wouldn’t fix your poor casting technic?
Or simply because you’re trying to be top poster of the month? Lo0ol

This can still be a good and informative thread.
I’m sure if you rephrase your questions, and base them solely on reels, and not life morals, that the knowledgeable members on here would more than gladly try and elaborate as to why high end reels are a pleasure to fish with ex. Shimano’s flagship Metanium.

Also, I’ve asked a local fishing Icon if he could “chime in” on the subject….stay tuned!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Maverick,

I didn't pay full retail for that reel.
Nor did I feel it made any difference over other reels I had.
Nor did I really care that at the time it was top notch.

So I sold it...

Like I have repeatedly said. If having top gear is your thing then awesome.
Just wondering if the $500 shimano reel will do something say a $200 Pflueger won't (example).

Still waiting for you to point that out. But you keep skirting the issue.
I find it beyond humorous that people are taking offence to me asking a valid question....which they haven't answered!

So again. Apart from buying it because its the latest and greatest what benefit do you get? Because until someone can tell me why spending that much instead of less for a cheaper reel I will stand by my opinion it ain't worth it.

Simply Maverick, tell me why its better and worth it....you haven't.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

TheMaverick wrote: Or simply because you’re trying to be top poster of the month?

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding...and we have a winner !!!!!!
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Jimmy,

They both catch fish and I am not denying that. But there are many dfferenes between a $200.00 reel and a $500.00 reel. As said before, they are things like materials used(this includes bearings, plastic vs metal pieces, graphite vs magnesium, I think you get the idea)

If you can't tell the difference or just don't care, buy the $200.00 reel. On a separate note, if you didn't notice a difference with a core vs the other reels you have, there is something wrong there. The core 100mgfv does not have bearing supported knobs but I still find it way smoother than my curado e. Both are spooled with 65 pound braid.

You will also notice tighter tolerances and better durability with the more expensive reels.

Adam