Saskie & Saskette's Opimika Weekend

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Saskie & Saskette's Opimika Weekend

Post by saskie »

What an AWESOME weekend. This weekend was our annual (I guess we can call it that now) weekend with Opimika outfitters on Troutbait Lake NE of North Bay. We went there last year, looking for walleye, only to discover tha trout was the main quarry there. This year, we came prepared.

We arrived late afternoon Friday and settled into the 3 bedroom palace that was ours for the weekend - WOW!

inside:

We headed out for the evening, but other than a couple encouraging taps we went fishless. No problem, it was entertaining enough watching Chester (our dog) and Bud (the camp dog) get acquainted...more on that later

Next morning we're back it bright and early. Following Mike (the owner's) advice, we punched several holes right in front of our cabin. It was good advice... we were onto fish right away. It was without a doubt the best trout fishing I've EVER had...we iced 8 specks in 2 just over 2 hours and both set new personal bests...

Not a bad morning :D

Toward noon, the wind picked up and things started to get a bit chilly. After taking a break for lunch, we sat down to plan the rest of the day's fishing...as we listened to the wind whistling through the trees it came down to a choice between heading back out on the wind-swept lake or staying in the sun drenched lazy-boy chair...hmmmm, wind-swept lake...sun drenched chair....wind swept lake..ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. When I woke a couple hours later, I discovered I wasn't the only sleepy head...

We spent what was left of the afternoon on the deeper waters of the main body trying without success for the other species in Troutbait...lakers.. On the way back to the cottage we dropped our lines down the holes from that morning and promptly had 2 more specks ready for the pan.

(Try not to drool too much on the keyboard :lol: )

The next day was more of the same...we spent the morning chasing specks and then went looking for lakers. Although the action was a little slower we always managed to find some specks like this one:

Unfortunately the lakers eluded us...oh well.

One more funny story...remember I mentioned Bud - the camp dog. Chester and Bud became instant best friends, however Bud never could understand Chester's fascination with chasing a ball or stick. Every time Chester would run after his ball, Bud would look at him like he was an idiot. Finally, Bud had enough. As Chester was chasing the ball, Bud went off into the bush and a few minutes later returned with a present...if you're going to "fetch" something, at least make it something worthwhile - like a moose leg:

All I can say is it was the perfect ending to our ice fishing year. In all we iced 13 specks from 8 - 14", with 10" being the norm. Small white jigs with a (dead - live bait ban in effect) minnow in 2-6ft was the go-to set-up. Troutbait's lakers eluded us, but in fairness we didn't put in the effort required..it was too hard to sit out in the middle jigging for hours when we could move in shallow and go to town with the brookies. We also never tried any of the other lakes in the area such as Round, Spring or Shanty. There was no real reason to since some of the hottest speckle action around was 20yds from our cabin...maybe next year 8)

Thanks to WIG, BASSSTALKER, BACON, UL and everyone else for their tips. It was a blast!!! CHeers
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Great report..that looks like agreat place...

Wow that dog sure looks proud! :lol:
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

Looks like a good time saskie 8)

Do these guys have web address :?:

looking to head that direction for summer vacation 8)

I really need to bring the big suck hound where ever we go :wink:

Looking for a place that will allow pets :shock:

Thanx
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Guys!!!! I love it!!!!!!!Just an awsome report and pics!!!!!

Glad to see the season was capped off in fine fashion!!!

Now tell the truth Dave Wifey caught em all right :lol:

Cant wait to hook up soon bro!!!

F.F
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Awsome way to cap off the year!

That place looked amazing!! Love the speckles and a moose leg!!! Funny and weird all at the same time!
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Wow. Looks like you guys cast off the trout curse in fine style. Nice work on the brook trout. Did you try to catch any walleye this time?

That moose leg is too funny. Classic dog.

Fox
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Great pics Saskie and Saskette!

You know you are up North when Moose legs are just lying around... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

great Specks!

RJ
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Great trip Guys!

Glad to see it went so well!

Nice Specks :!:
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

FireFox wrote:Wow. Looks like you guys cast off the trout curse in fine style. Nice work on the brook trout. Did you try to catch any walleye this time?
Fox
'Never even tried for eyes. We found out last year that most walleye lakes in that area were inaccessible in winter unless you have a sled. Most winter clients are there for the lakers or the skidooing and they're set up accordingly.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

FLOATFISHIN wrote: Now tell the truth Dave Wifey caught em all right :lol:

Cant wait to hook up soon bro!!!

F.F
:twisted: Funny guy....You make me laugh so I kill you last OK?
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

OK atleast let me get ya's floatin 1st K??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I may just float away with my luck :wink:

F.F
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

I'm jealous, Saskie & Saskette (& Chester)!

What a nice place, nice setting, nice weather...! Even some nice fish.

It's great to hear you had a wknd full of R&R.

Fun pics -- gotta love Chester's big prize of the wknd, too! :lol:

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I love the picture of the dog with the leg! :lol:

Looks like an awesome place. I've seen too many spec reports and pics as of late. I'm realing needing a brookie fish. And yes, the pan fry had me a little droolie too! :lol:
Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Paya »

Awesome guys ..great report !!!

/p
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Great trip guys! nice lookin specs too! I hope my tips worked for ya! Looks like I may fancy a trip up there next winter! Nice leg too!
:D