Crappie Bay Report / Personal Best Fish (Pics)

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Crappie Bay Report / Personal Best Fish (Pics)

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hello All,

Headed out with my girlfriend Alyson to Crappie Bay this morning. Got on the ice around 10:30am, and began the arduous task of drilling holes. The ice is certainly thick, and the muscles in my arms that I hardly knew existed certainly felt the strain.
Set up two tip ups, both with medium sized minnows on, in hopes of getting a few pike. Due to the gorgeous weather we had, the hut was only used as a wind break during our stay. The sun was nice and hot!
Alyson has been out ice fishing twice in her lifetime - both with me. Both times she has struck out, so the pressure was on to get some fish on the ice. She started off jigging a pink/white flutter jig, tipped with a green Berkley Meal Worm. Within five minutes, her rod was bent, and a really nice crappie was flapping on the ice. The curse was finally broken...
Ten minutes later she gets another, and then another not too long after that. Yours truly has nothing to show for himself, although the arm fatigue was making it a tad bit difficult to hold the rod at times! lol
I was using my old standby - a small siver Forage Minnow, tipped with a small piece of minnow. Within 15 minutes, I had my first chunky crappie to the hole.
Most of the fish were suspended two feet off of bottom, and we were fishing in water between 11 and 14-feet deep.
Fishing was sporadic to say the least, with it being a 'one fish per hole' kind of day. That luck was about to change..
Not long after drilling a new hole, I proceed to catch a decent crappie. Dropping the spoon back down the hole, I feel a decent tap and swiftly set the hook. The fight was on! The HT ultralight was bent something else, with this fish taking drag. My first inclination was of it being a northern, although a bass also crossed my mind. Finally it reaches the hole, and out comes a horse of a crappie. A brand new personal best for me! 14 inches exactly in length, and 11 3/4 inches in girth. A dandy of a fish for sure..
This fish hit around 12:45 pm.
The tip ups went down a few times during the day, but it seemed like the pike were just knocking them off, and not really committing themselves. It was either missing minnows, or nothing there. As for the jigging, by 2pm, you couldn't even buy a fish out there. Not a ton of fish caught, but that's fishing sometimes. I did get a chance with the blue sky and beaming sun to shoot a ton of fishing shots for magazine work, so that's always a bonus.
All in all a great day to be on the frozen stuff! Total fish for the day was 8 crappie, 4 perch and a sunfish. Alyson caught her first fish through the ice, I got a PB and we both got some sunburnt faces to show for it. I can't think of a better way to say goodbye to the end of the season..at least until next week! lol
Good Fishing,
Justin

Alyson's first two fish of the day..

Alyson holding the big one..

My personal best - 14" x 11 3/4"

Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

She's a beauty! No doubt about that. Congrates on the Crappie too.
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Congrats on the personal best Justin. I guess I was too busy starin into my Vex to see you guys pass right by me today. It wasn't til mid afternoon that Bradford told me it was you out there.

I had an ok day out myself, somewhere in the vicinity of 25 pannies. My first drop of the day saw a really nice largemouth shoot up 5-6 feet to grab my little maggot tipped Genz worm. Nice, long battle on 2lb test but he spit it just as I went for a lipgrab. That's fishing I guess.

I'll be back out on Sunday in search of slab crappie... maybe I'll get my big momma too!

bucket
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Pretty amazing catches on both ends there, Justin. :wink:

Nice outing for you!!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Nice fish justin.
Great report.Its good to know the fish are biting im heading there in the morning :D .

Tip-up
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hey Bucket,
Nice work on the pannies and the largemouth! We struggled finding fish today, but seeing Alyson get those crappies was well worth the lack of numbers. Wish I had known it was you out there, and I would of came over and said hello. I did shout a hello over to one guy as we got on the ice (with the two kids playing) but I wasn't exactly sure who it was.
I always fish on the other side (closer to where the huts used to be) so I seem to be away from the crowds a lot.
Going to try to get out again on Monday - weather looks great again!
Good Fishing,
Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Yeah Justin, that fellow with the 2 kids was Kingmann from this board. His big catch of the day was making an impromptu scoop when one of his sons fell into an open hole :shock:

Hope everything is fine with your little one JasonM. What a trooper though - no crying or anything... too darn cold to cry I guess.

see ya
Bucket
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Great job bucket, and justin :lol:
Northamfishing Tackle
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by jazman »

i've not seen one that size down there... very nice
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

The curse has been lifted Justin. What a nice day to be on the ice!

NICE FISH ALYSON :P :P
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Good one!

Post by Cancatchbass »

Good fish, Justin! AND Alyson!

Looks like, despite the fact the bite appeared to be off today, a few Hawk-Talkers managed to get PB's.

Gotta love the true SLABS!

CCB
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

Awesome fish Justin. I was there in the late afternoon and caught a 13" and I thought it was huge!! Beautiful day on the ice too!!!
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Those are some really nice crappie coming out of the bay there!

Good job to you all!
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Nice crappies Justin and congratulation to Alison with her first fish caught
through the ice.

I hope to get some decent perch tomorrow.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Nice crappie folks!! :D :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"