Another Muskrat outing!!!

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Another Muskrat outing!!!

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Well once again we managed to get to Muskrat, after a rather lengthy tour of Renfrew :roll: looking for the Stinson's we finally found our mark, courtesy of some locals working at the Timmy's there.

We hit Muskrat about 8:10 or so and immediately set up to start fishing an area where BTS' buddy, tenline was doing pretty well a few days earlier! Well, not sure what they had going for them, but we fished from 20-120 ft of water with not so much as a decent bite or hookset...Most of the gang took off around 2:30 to go over to our regular spot, as it has now become known, while my son Kyle and I stayed an extra hour or so, trying for the Lakers!!

Well, our time wasn't well spent, as we eventually conceded, we were "poop" out of luck. So we headed over to meet up with the rest of the gang! Saskie, Float, HOF and Tony!

It was another exceptional day out on the frozen pond with another quality group of individuals!

Here they are hard at it! Tony can be seen way in the background there....

Well after Kyle and I decided to try a slightly different area for some Wallies, about 100 ft or so away from the group. Again, after an hour plus of nothing happening, we decided, the boys were having a lot of fun with the Perch and "at least they were getting something" so we headed over.

By this time, the crew had a pretty good pile of very nice Perch! I believe a couple 12 inchers anyway! But quite a few beefy fellas! Well about 45 minutes before we dicided to pack it in, I get a hit and nailed this beauty! HOF's scale brought it in at 2 lbs 7 ozs.....Finally, a Laker through the ice!!
there's hope boys!! :lol:

Float, I hope Roxy enjoys the Trout!!! Bon Appetite!!

PS... I have to say, watching Float run for his rod is priceless, but damn scary! On one dash he gets about 20 feet from the line and....zooooom, feet out from under him! Scares the crap outta ya for a minute, wondering if he's cracked his head open, then you remember it's Float! :shock: Probably hard as a rock :!:

It was a fun day, hopefully tomorrow will be more productive for everyone however!!

Thanks again guys!!!
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

I've been waiting for this report all day/night.

Yippeeee.....!!!!! WIG got his laker. Nice, where did you get the fish?? at the spot we were last time..??? Looking out the window today I was a little upset I never made the trip. Maybe I'll head up there this Friday for another go at it. At least I know I can get a limit of big perch anyway.

Great job guys, a little more comfortable weather this time around eh..??
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Great post WIG! Hmmm.... that shoreline looks mighty familiar where ya got that laker... and some of you guys looked at me funny when I said I saw a laker down my hole!

Congrats guys! Sounds like another great day out at Muskrat :lol:

bucket
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Great to see a laker out fo the "Walleye Spot" WIG!!!

I hear tony had a few missed hooksets and a few rbreak offs which left him cursing on the phone! After I gott off the phone wiht him I wondered to myself why he didnt ask to uses somone elses rod!

Anyways great job! What did you get the laker on if you dont mind me asking?
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Muskiemagnet wrote:I've been waiting for this report all day/night.

Yippeeee.....!!!!! WIG got his laker. Nice, where did you get the fish?? at the spot we were last time..??? Looking out the window today I was a little upset I never made the trip. Maybe I'll head up there this Friday for another go at it. At least I know I can get a limit of big perch anyway.

Great job guys, a little more comfortable weather this time around eh..??
Pat,

Yeppers!!

Right in the same spot Bucket saw the Trout in the hole :!: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Definetly in the area we always fish though!!! And the great thing is, there's a road you can take instead of driving down the middle of the lake!!!
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Ransome wrote:Great to see a laker out fo the "Walleye Spot" WIG!!!

I hear tony had a few missed hooksets and a few rbreak offs which left him cursing on the phone! After I gott off the phone wiht him I wondered to myself why he didnt ask to uses somone elses rod!

Anyways great job! What did you get the laker on if you dont mind me asking?
Pat will appreciate this!!

A week or two ago when I was getting minnows at Als at the Galetta side road, I saw a Swedish Pimple I didn't have, thought to myself, oh that's a sure fire winner! I believe I even mentioned that to him!...but I did take the little red thingy off it today!!!

Yes you're right about Tony's hit's, and I beliueve he had 2 bite offs! Saskie also was sure he had a good hit at one time, I was even looking at him thinking he had one, next second...gone! :shock:

That's fishing :!: :x
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

Anyone want to head back up there Friday...????
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

Great report WIG!

I'm really starting to miss fishing...

Which means I'm really starting to hate school but then again there's a student strike on now!!!

Carlco
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

What an awesome day!!! I'm really beginning to like Muskrat.
Wall-I-Guy wrote:
Ransome wrote:Saskie also was sure he had a good hit at one time, I was even looking at him thinking he had one, next second...gone! :shock:

That's fishing :!: :x
It's that "mystery" fish again Same thing happened last time to me twice,and to Bucket(?) and Tony. This time it was me Tony and HOF. Both times same thing....I'd been jigging away for an hour or more. All of a sudden there's weight - BIG weight. 'Set the hook and it's like you've hooked a log - can't even budge it. Keep the pressure on - just in case waiting for a headshake or something....and then in an instant it's gone.

I'm sure its a fish of some sort - we were in the same area but not the exact same spot. If it was a log or rock you'd think we'd have hooked it more often. Plus the same thing happened to more than one of us in the same area but several yards apart and within a fairly short time span... I'm sure there's bejeebus big "something" cruising around there

I'm just glad it happened to someone else so I have witnesses that I'm not making it up.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Muskiemagnet wrote:Anyone want to head back up there Friday...????
Can't do Friday - but we might be able to to do Saturday afternoon and stay for the evening bite...
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Looked like a good time!
Well and truly hooked!
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Maybe it is that Muskrat Lake Monster... :shock:

Clip from the web...

Mussie has been described as “serpentine, prehistoric, and resembling a giant seal.” Reports of Mussie can be dated back to 1916. Two of these creatures were also caught on film. Detailed accounts are available in John Kirk’s book ‘In The Domain Of Lake Monsters’ and Michael Bradley’s ‘More Than A Myth: The Story Of The Muskrat Lake Monster.

-et
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Last I heard about Mussie is that its a gigantic sturgeon. I camped there for 10 years, you hear some great stories from the locals!
Duck Gunner
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

That's what they say Snag...

Post by Duck Gunner »

SnagThis wrote:Last I heard about Mussie is that its a gigantic sturgeon. I camped there for 10 years, you hear some great stories from the locals!
Well that's what they say Snag...
My family had a cottage on Muskrat for many years and I grew up on tales of Mussie.
They say she's a big old sturgeon hiding in there.
Up arond the cliffs, there a ledge tha goes back in under the rocks and then down deep.
I have heard of a couple of SCUBA divers that went in but did not reach the bottom of the hole.
Sounds like the perfect place for something big to hide out in...

Anyhow, nice fish WIG!!!
I was out on Muskrat Friday to Sunday this weekend with very little success.
Lots of perch, no wallies though.
Friday, my brother and I were the "crazy bastards" who drove down the center of the lake to break trail through the snowdrifts. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It was only tense in one or two spots.
We were fishing down past Birdshat rock, off the sunken island.
There was a stack of people out on the weekend fishing once the trail was broken.

DG. 8)
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Congrates on the laker through the ice WIG!

I was just discussing Muskrat Lake with a gentlemen I work with in TO the other day. He was inquiring about it and I said I've been there in the spring and have a few friends that hae been ice fishing it.

I'll let him know how you made out.

Great Pics!