Lower Niagara - Mar 13th - Morning

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Lower Niagara - Mar 13th - Morning

Post by Markus »

Big O and I were up bright and early and on the road at 3:45 am. Big-O was flying back to Ottawa this afternoon, so todays morning fish would bring an end to our Niagara outing.

Our day started off with a great laugh. :lol: Passing though Delhi at about 4:00 am...the cherries start flashing behind us! :shock: We pull over and the officer approaches my window. He can't believe we're actually going fishing and wants to know what we're doing with a boat at 4:00am on a snowy winter morning. :lol: After he reviews all the paper work and runs all his checks, he laughs at us and wishes us luck. I had a few fillets in the back, so I offered him a few. He says "really?" Big-O says "ya, take some!" He accepted, we fixed him up with a bag of fillets and we were on our way!

We drive about 15 minutes and just about reach the next town - Simcoe....and a set of red and blue fires up behind me again! I look at Big-O and say "Word must be out that we have fillets for the boys!" :lol:

The officer approaches the truck and finds 2 grown men laughing like two kids. He too wants to know what our agenda was with a boat in the early morning hours. We explained our recent events and he had a chuckle with us. He said he'd call ahead to the next town and let the cruiser know we're coming. :lol: He also declined our fillet offering. :lol:

We arrived at the ramp just a tad late and met up with fishforfun. We went right to work salting the ramp and chipping/shoveling away the ice. We lauched and headed for the bar.

Fishing was tough. We had a brisk NW wind that was creating a few nice waves for us. :lol: Determined to catch a laker, we worked the area anyway and didn't have much luck. We missed a few hits and finally landed our first fish. A little laker.

Niagara Laker - 23 inches

The bar would prove to be too much for us, so we decided to use what little time we had left and fish the river. As we made our way in to the mouth, the waves where tough to negociate...one big wave lifted us up and then sent us sailing down the other side of it....only to meet by a 6 foot wall of water! :shock: We took the wave right over the bow and Big-O and I ducked behing the windsheild. Fishforfun on the other hand was up front and had no where to hide! :lol: :lol: He took the full wave head on! I don't know how he didn't get washed away. :lol:

The temp was colddddd today. any moisture froze instantly and our gear constantly seized up.

We only managed to hook into one more fish and we ended up losing this mystery fish before it got to the boat.

I wanna thank big-o and fff for joining me for a couple days. You guys are great to fish with. A true test of a good fishing partner is enjoying yourself even whrn the fish aren't cooperating. I had a blast today fellas! :P See ya both again soon.
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

great read.

Post by muskymuskymusky »

Great read. Thats some funny morning for sure. :lol:
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

Great report Markus, too bad the river did'nt co-operate with you this trip. Good to still see you guys getting out there though.
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

What were you guys really hauling to be pulled over twice :roll:

Looks like another fun day on the water for you guys.

Really wish I could have joined.

Still writing that darn essay....

Carlco
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re..

Post by BBRich »

Bribing the cops with fillets eh?? I see how it works! :lol:

Sounds like a fun morning, even though it was uncomfortable! Good work on the laker too!
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

Nice going guys.Sure sounds nasty out there today.
Well the OPP were out. where were the C.O.s
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

:D :D :D :D

Nice fish, ..again, ...nice to know "our finest" are on the job, ....twice though... too much, :lol:

Thinkin of bringin my ride home Friday, when are you heading down there again?, ....be nice to get her out once before I start workin on her for spring... :wink:

So FFF,....didn't you see that wave comin with your new glasses, .... :lol:
roughrider
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

mounties

Post by roughrider »

Phil seems to attract the fine men of the law. Lets see,pulled over on the road to Quinte, Got the once over on the water ,now twice in one morning,and thats all I know about . roughrider
squig69
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by squig69 »

im still laughing at the story of the first cop and offering him some fillets, and nearly pee'd my pants laughing when the second cop stops ya for the same thing. :lol:

nice job on the laker guys

chris
Niagara Nick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Niagara Nick »

That must have been cold at the mouth , glad to see ya got some.

Is that frozen old C4 forsale :?: :?: :?:
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Little Laker! I would love to catch one of those up here in the park!

Great stuff guys, and thats hillarious about the po po''
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

It was a great day on the water. The waves were up at the Bar, all 3 of us have fished in a lot worse, but the wind was cutting me like a knife! We wanted a fish off the Bar this morning and we didn't leave till we got one! The wave was something else, Markus was trying to fight the strong current of the river and the waves were driving in behind us, as we crest a wave all I hear is Markus say OH NO! Beautiful porpoise, just buried the Stripers bow into the next one! Skooter I saw it but couldn't get out of the way. Well I was washed head to toe but still laughing, we all got wet on that one! Gotta get me a survival suit! Big O had his propane heater on board so 10 mins later I was drying out and back fishing. Who cares if they are biting with company like that, they keep you laughing!
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

They are a shady lookin' crew :!: Image

Too bad about the fishing today guys! Surely yesterday makes up for it :!: Unreal it was that cold there today!

Not bad here :!: :lol:
Sleded
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

mmm fillets

Post by Sleded »

Sounds like u guys had a good time out on the water! What kind of fillets did yu have? :D :D

sleded
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Markus, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Equiped to say the least :lol:

Read all reports, and guys..........Just AWSOME!!!!!!!!

Glad to see the fish were there, and all had a great time :D

FFF, even with the new specks you didnt see that wave comin :shock: :lol:

Glad to hear everyone is ok!!!!

F.F :D