Muskrat.. the sequel!

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Muskrat.. the sequel!

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Well it was dam coooooooold :!: We hit the ice fairly early :!: Muskiemagnet and I were right on the perch immediately. While I set about setting up, he was nailing them one after the other. Brought home a nice meal of them. Got a couple 11 inchers. And a bunch of nine's and tens!

We spent virtually every moment in the shelter! What an experience. Fishing out of the same hole the whole day :!: :roll: But it was just comfy enough, a lot better than being outside for sure :!:

Well, the first fish was this Pike I nailed.

Things quited down for quite a while after that. Other than the Perch we were pulling, must've nailed somewhere between 50-75 fish each, easily. Most were little guys 4"-6".

A little later, I nailed a beauty Smallie :!: Another quick photo, and another quick release.

That would be it pretty much for the day. Now we did stick around for the dusk bite but, having to fish out of the same hole constantly, and we couldn't even set up a second line all day was a bit of a drag:!: :roll:

Only one wallie caught and that was just after sunset by me.

It was quiet for the rest of the gang except Slushpuppy, who managed a nice hammer handle that, I couldn't get a photo of as it was just too dang cold to get out of the shelter for a hammer handle :!: :lol:

Bucketmouth
Nighttroller
Oakborne
Zory
Tenline
Tenline's buddy, Jeff?
Ransome
Muskiemagnet
Slushpuppy
Last edited by Wall-I-Guy on Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

WIG,

looks like you guys had a good time. Did you have your new toys with you?? Great reprot and nice smallie.

Manny
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Good fishing..if you didn't go outside it must have been cold!!
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Well done Wig!!

It must have been soooo cold! I froze my butt off waiting for the bus at 10am... must have been even worse on the ice at 6am! brrrr... can't wait for soft water!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Good stuff WIG.

Seeing that carcas on you head is just one more reason I can't wait for Spring! :lol: :lol:
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

This was definately a a new experience for me! I sat in the Clam 5000 all day. A big thanks to Jighead and Tipup for lending Bucketmouth and I the Calm Shack because without it we wouldn't have lasted 30 minutes with the wind howling down the lake. We were nice and toasty in the shack though and you could see the bottom looking down the hole which was a new experience for me as well. Bucketmouth and I caught perch after perch and after about 50 or so each we decided to try for some bigger fish. It wasn't meant to be but it was still a fun day. Ransome had a big Walleye (he cold see it down the hole) called for help to land it but it stripped his minnow and was gone :( . Unfortunately it was too cold to do much exploring, we moved the shack twice all day!! To make matters worse when we packed up in the dark I left my polar tipup in the ice! :oops: Never caught a fish on it and I guess I never will!!! Oh, and thanks to WIG for the BBQ hot dogs, they hit the spot on a cold day!
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

You guys are on fire! Just keep on fishin and reporting OK? Reports like that with the pictures are the stuff I like reading about the most.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Manny wrote:WIG,
looks like you guys had a good time. Did you have your new toys with you?? Great reprot and nice smallie.
Manny
Actually Manny,

I had the Vex out for the firt 10 minutes, that's it! Once we found the depth we wanted, we stayed on those two holes, it wasn't needed as we weren't bouncing around :!:

The auger got a pretty good workout though as I drilled some holes intitially then a few others for a couple of the guys! Worked like a charm :!:

And the Mr. heater saved our butts :!: :shock:
SALMON wrote::D Good fishing..if you didn't go outside it must have been cold!!
Exactly :!:
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

Hey WIG,

Great shots,looks like everbody had a good time.The clams definitey were worth there weight in gold today.Saw one on sale at CT last week and was tempted.

Tried heading out today but all I did was get the Van seriously stuck.Check how stupid was that?

You guys have to come east so me and Mikey can meet the gang half way?

PS: Where's nighttrollers giant fish? LOL

Great report
Ron
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Yup lol thats the awsome part of that, you can see straight down the hole. It looks like you guys had a good day, Nice smallmouth. 8) 8)
Northamfishing Tackle
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Scumking wrote:Hey WIG,
You guys have to come east so me and Mikey can meet the gang half way?
Great report
Ron
Sounds like a plan sometime :!: Any ideas where :?:
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Just had that Wally and some decent perch for supper tonight. Absolutely delicious :!: :D

Is it me or does the 'eye I'm holding have great colours or what :?: Must be the flash :!:
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

Wall-I-Guy wrote:Just had that Wally and some decent perch for supper tonight. Absolutely delicious :!: :D

Is it me or does the 'eye I'm holding have great colours or what :?: Must be the flash :!:
I think that is the colour they turn when they know they are going to be eaten. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Re: Muskrat.. the sequel!

Post by slushpuppy »

Wall-I-Guy wrote: It was quiet for the rest of the gang except Slushpuppy, who managed a nice hammer handle that, I couldn't get a photo of as it was just too dang cold to get out of the shelter for a hammer handle :!: :lol:
OK, hammer handle was what Bucketmouth called it. My pike was just as big as WIG's , wasn't it Ransome? :wink: :wink: Sledge hammer handle, maybe. Pike envy! :!: :wink: :lol:
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Slushy, I'll fess up. It was bigger than WIGs I'm sure. I'll go as big as an "Axehandle". There, that better? :wink: Is it just me or do you catch a pike every time you go ice fishing? I've only seen you out there maybe 3 times this winter but it always seems you're jigging up a pike...

bucket