Derby Day....activity!

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Derby Day....activity!

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Well what a day :!: Once again, thanks to Hawk, Bobber and Canadian Bacon, or CB as we know him, for a job well done :!:

The cold was absolutely insane on Baitshop Bay :!: It was blowing steadily, and coldly for the better part of the morning. Just ask my young lad, who spent a pretty good part of the day staying warm in the truck :!: Hard to catch ‘em in there :!:

Well I picked a hole and decided to work it, since it was strategically behind the truck to block the wind. Wasn’t long before the first hit came, got it up to the hole, and off it goes :!:

No matter, we’ll try again, about 15 minutes later, I get another, this time, the little fella doesn’t get off :!: This would prove to be the standard for the day. Couldn’t find a decent sized Walleye even with all the effort and sacrifice I put out :!:

These two are typical for the day

I ended up with 5 for the day, and ALL were released actually, considering I was not fishing much in the afternoon, as I was fulfilling my obligation to Wolfe to get lots of pics, I did pretty well :!:

Here’s a couple, of some of the boys standing around gabbing, BTS, RJ and Ron (RJ’s Stepdad I believe), sorry if I got that wrong

Here’s M.T.Livewell, Bucketmouth and BTS.

Here’s ICEMAN and Paul H, two guys I’ve had the pleasure of working with for about 15+ years!

And as was the case for much of the day, visitors could drop by anytime, here’s Float Fishing, Fishforfun and Bucketmouth on their way to visit HOF (Hooked on Fishing).

Speaking of visitors, here comes Salmon, to deliver my bells! Thanks again Salmon

Now, in case any of you ever wondered who the former Dick Hertz is..he does exist. Here he is under his new persona, none other than DUCK GUNNER .

A little later in the day, DV_8 and his son showed up….

After slaying a couple Crappie on Walleye Bay, Slushpuppy and Bowzog decided to try their luck out on Baitshop Bay!

Again, here’s RJ who looks a tad cold, while in the background, Float can be seen chatting it up with HOF !

My fishing partner for the day, BTS, yells over “Hey WIG, I’m not skunked”..beauty!

After the days fishing, everyone gathered in the parking lot for the prize draws…

Here we have “Big” Jim McLaughlin saying a few words which Bobber and Hawk absorb…In the background, Peng, Scumking and Salmon listen intently !

As do Markus, CB and Hoover !

This gentleman, I believe his name was Gaston???, thanks Slushpuppy, was the first prize winner. ( A random draw) Congratulations!

And finally, the gang settles down to listen to another informative session from the “BIG” man himself! Very informative indeed !

All in all, what a great way to spend a day! Managed to introduce myself to a few more Hawk Talkers…

Until next year!
Last edited by Wall-I-Guy on Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Great pictures, looks like a good time was had by all. The derby and some of the Hawk talkers made the last few minutes of the CJOH news (late edition) tonite.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Good to see there was a good crowd, wish I could have been there. Oh well there's always next year.

Well done fish-hawk team!!!

JimW
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

Thx for sharing with those of us who couldn't make it out. Looks like a good ( but cold ) time had by all.
Icemanstan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

indeed a cold day

Post by Icemanstan »

Well i'd like to say nice meeting you Wall-I-Guy, DUCK GUNNER, WIG and the boys names i can't remember. I'm not good at remembering names but i'd like to say thanks to the guy that helped me with my damn auger. It was brand new and didn't cut well through the ice. But we made it go through the ice anyway. He had his shack out on baitshop bay. I had to leave because i was not feeling very well after i tried to drill by myself. To the person that helped me: I can't remember your name but if you remember helping me please reply to my message so I can thank you directly.
DV_8
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DV_8 »

Nice pics WIG!
It was a fun day, can't wait to go next year. I think I'll take up ice fishing again. Later in the afternoon, "BIG" Jim was showing us how to use the Vexilar Flasher. I couldn't believe how accurate these things are. Getting one of those babies for sure. All in all it was a fun day. Now I'm looking forward to the Westmeath Weekend. :D
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

A must have tool for any serious ice fisherman indeed. It was funny how i was fishing 10 feet from jim and he was pulling up the panfish one after another.Amazing . He was telling us a story about fishing with Izumi last week on the big rideau and the bluegills they were gettin were 10 to 12 inchers and in the one , one and a half pound range . WOW. I couldnt catch any that were past 7 inches. :shock: :D :x
Last edited by Tip-up on Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

Hey Wig,

Great pcitures,I definitely had a great time.

Ron
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Another great Fish-Hawk.Net event!

Glad everyone had a great time.... :D

RJ
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

I tell ya a great weekend and an even better organized event!! Well done lads and lassies!

I tell you I was happy about buying the new portable yesterday! That wind was howling at some points!!
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

What a great day! I was sooo tired when I got home! I talked so much my voice is scratchy today.

I got skunked (again!), but Bowzog caught 2 nice 10" crappies on Walleye Bay.

It was really nice meeting everyone again (and some for the first time!). Way too many names to mention. Thanks to Bobber, Fishhawk, CB, Jazman, RJ, Kim, John (I know I'm forgetting some) and all the other organizers, helpers and sponsors.

It was great to see Hawk-Talkers who made the long trek here from other parts of the Fish-Hawk world. Hope you enjoyed yourselves and y'all come back now, ya hear!

It may have been cold out there, but you could feel the Fish-Hawk warmth everywhere! Group Hug!!
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Re: Derby Day....activity!

Post by slushpuppy »

Wall-I-Guy wrote:
This gentleman, I believe his name was Gaetan??? was the first prize winner. ( A random draw)
I believe his name was Gaston.

Great pics WIG! Thanks for sharing!
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

It was a great day.

Met a lot of people on the ice and even more after at the dinner.

Way too many to keep track of but most people seemed to be able to pick me out.

I knew the Laurentian weekend was going to be good but now that I have met some of the other who are coming it should be a real hoot.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Thanks Slushy,

I've updated the post :!:
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

WIG, first to you a big THANKS and a "high achievment award" for taking so many great pictures!! :D I really enjoyed them. It's always nice to match up a face with a name.

I heard it was nasty-cold, so good for all you hearty souls that got out there and enjoyed the warmth of a fun gathering! Wish I could have joined you all...

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.