Tremendous Day at Petrie - Pics!!!

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Tremendous Day at Petrie - Pics!!!

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hello All,
Decided to head down to Petrie Island today, specifically Crappie Bay. Picked up some minnows at the bait shop, and was on the ice by 9:45am. Ice surface was quite slushy, but weather was warm with a bit of a breeze. Set up a tip up with a spreader rig, baiting each hook with a large 4-5inch minnow. Turned the Strike Sensor on, and turned my attention to my primary jigging hole. Within minutes the sensor was shouting its alarm, and I rushed over to the tip up. The line was peeling off the reel pretty quick, leading me to believe that it was a decent sized pike. Nope - a jumbo perch to start the day off!
Set up the HT hut and began to jig. Was using a chartreuse and green Marmooska jig, tipped with a Berkley Power Maggot. Was also using a small silver Forage Minnow tipped with a minnow tail. Didn't take long for the panfish to show themselves.
The action was steady for the next couple of hours, with plenty of jumbo perch and gills coming to the ice. Landed a nice largemouth on the ultralight offering, giving a decent fight for sure.
Plenty of big crappie landed, with my biggest of the season coming to the surface. Nearly lost this big girl when the hook pulled free at the hole - the arm down the hole trick saved the day for that one. 12.5-inches in length, but a huge girth on her....
Many of the crappie were suspended today, some 3 to 4-feet off bottom. They were falling for both aggressive and subtle presentations, although many were hitting on the pause.
All in all, probably got around 30 panfish for the day. Not bad to say I only saw one other person out on the Bay.
My girlfriend decided to join me after she finished work, getting on the ice around 3pm. (Called her on the cell to tell her about the action..) Sadly, the fish shut down when she arrived (bad omen) and she didn't get bit at all. Saying that, I only got three between 3 and 4:45pm. Definitely a morning and early afternoon bite today...
A heads up on those interested in buying bait. I bought my minnows right at Petrie today, and the quality was very poor. Most minnows died within 20 minutes on the tip up, causing me to go through a lot. Not sure if it is a bad batch, or the stock is of poor quality. Just some advice for those fishing the tourney this coming weekend...
Enjoy the pics and good fishing,
Justin Hoffman

The days creel..

The big three..

The big girl..
Oakborne
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Oakborne »

Nice crappies Justin :!: :!: :!:

Bucketmouth, Bacon, Tony, My wife and I were on baitshop bay, a few Walleye and sauger but nothing too big.

Except for this !!!!! Congrats Bacon!!!!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Looked like a great day on the water for sure!

havin a snack of bass Justin?...that'll draw some attention... :roll:

RJ
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Great day JH,

nothing like steady action :!: Great report :!:
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hey RJ,
Nothing wrong with a cold-water, in-season bass to snack on...they taste great to me!!
Now, time to start cleaning the damn things!! lol
Good Fishing,
Justin
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

No problems out of me Justin.... :wink:
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Oakborne wrote:Nice crappies Justin :!: :!: :!:

Bucketmouth, Bacon, Tony, My wife and I were on baitshop bay, a few Walleye and sauger but nothing too big.

Except for this !!!!! Congrats Bacon!!!!
Hey CB!

Nice Sturgeon, way to go :!: Was it a first for you :?:
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Great pictures!!!

I wish I could have headed out there, but didn't get off work til 6:30ish...

I love the big crappie and sturgeon!!

Sturgeon have to be the coolest looking fish, I cannot wait to target them this summer!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Nice mess of fish Justin.

And Bacon! Congrates on that little beauty! :P What a great surprise!
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

As you can see above I am pretty happy tonight.
Met up with Bucket, Oakbourne and Mrs. Oakbourne...along with a few of my buddies Lyle and URL.
Lyle and URL had to leave but were gracious enough to leave the shack for me to use!! Bucket joined me in the shack and I started to get lucky with a few Walleye..small ones the two largets were 13.5 and 14 inches.
Tony showed up and when Bucket left he joined me in the hut...when whamo a big hit...biggest on the ice for me this season. the rod bent over and I set the hook. As I was bringing it up I knew it was stonger than the normal dinks and when it came through, there was my first ever Sturgeon. :D :D
Man I love it!! It was 25 inches long but man are they strong..and they feel like sand paper. they also have very sharp dorsal and lateral lines.
Not long after mine Tony gets whammed and same fight is on. He gets it to the whole and into the shack....DAMN....Oakbourne and the Mrs. are gone..no camera.....no measuring tape....I think it was biger than mine though by an inch or two. We left two happy anglers!!!

Thanks for the Pic Jeff!
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

Great to hear the action is heating up, good news for the derby.

Funny, the last warm front that moved through the fishing was great also.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Hey CB!

Nice Sturgeon, way to go Was it a first for you
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Bacon, serves me right for leaving early eh? Congrats, that's a beautiful fish. You going back out any evening this week? I'm there Wednesday night and Thursday night as well.

bucket

Post by Guest »

Justin, great report! great day on the water. Enjoy your dinner!!

Bacon.. Nice baby Sturgeon! I snagged one while trolling for musky this fall, fought like a bandit
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Nort sure I'll get out again bucket....work calls sometimes....