Ottawa River Report

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Ottawa River Report

Post by nighttroller »

Hit the Ottawa River today to try and catch some walleyes to register in the virtual derby and to... well just catch some walleyes through the ice. Meet Probassing, Iceman, and Iceman's friend Dave (an almost converted new Hawk Talker). Dave wasted no time pulling a small Sauger through the ice which gave us some encouragement. About half hour later as I lift my jig I feel some weight, set the hook and I am in to what I think is a decent Walleye as I the fish thumps his way up t othe hole to my surprise my first ever Sturgeon. Wow what a thrill! MEasured in at 24".

About half hour later after Dave pulled another small Sauger, lift my jig again, feel weight, set the hook. I have a good one on. This guy takes some line, goes for a couple decent runs... I am thinking good Walleye... unreal another Sturgeon. This time 36".

Things get quite for a while Iceman missing a few, I miss a few. It is now noon and Iceman packs up comes over to say bye and as we are talking, bang! Big hit!!! Well I fit this fish for about 20 minutes and we are all speculating as to what it is. I get it close to the hole and then it screams off a long run and wraps around a line 20 ft away. We cut that line, I still have the fish. Then it wraps around another line in the other direction, we cut the line, I still have the fish. After another 10 minutes we finally get the the fish to the hole. A big sturgeon. The head is twice the size as the 36"er. We tried for 5 minutes to get it through and on the third try we lost our grip and away she went. We figure it was over 4' based on the size of the head but we will never know. Here is the best pic at the hole.

All in all a great day but no walleye for me. Probassing got 2 small Sauger and Walleye.

Image[/img]
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

Hey Rich,

I bet those were a real surprise.I have'nt heard of strugeon being caught through the ice but then again I'm not mister icefishing.Great pics and I wish you guys had got the big one through the whole.

Mike,did you put the scale on the Sauger or were you afraid if you put it down you might lose sight of it.

We got out today first time ever and had a blast.We'll be out again tomorrow.Mikey took some pics.

Ron
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Now there's a fishing day you dream of. 3 Sturgeon in one trip :shock:

Holy caviar Batman :!:

Well done nighttroller :!:
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Nighttroller,

You better go buy a lottery ticket soon. Way to go...I'm really happy for you...wish I could have been there to see them, but I had a date with some yellow perch at Clayton today. What were you jigging with?

Ratsotail
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

What stretch of the Ottawa were you guys on?... :shock: PM me if ya want....

that's awesome!

RJ
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

I would also like to know where on the ottawa you were !!!
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by jazman »

NICE - that is sweet
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Awsome report Richard. Wow, most people dream of catching one of those in a life time and u get into 3 :shock: :lol: :lol: 8) . Great job.
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Richard, that's the last time i tell you where to go to catch fish! Kidding aside, well done on the sturgeon. I'll meet you there in the morning for a few hours of fishin.

bucket
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Congratulation Richard on those sturgeon you nice fish. Today I saw a guy ho catch a 5 lbs sturgeon at the Wendover derby it was my first time that I saw a sturgeon close and its quite a thing.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Nice sturgeon!! You don't hear about those through the ice too often!! :shock: :o
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Awesome fish guys,

didn't know it was possible, better take a 16 inch auger next time.

Couple great shots for the photo album too. :wink:
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Oh eah I know where you guys were.
Sturgeon...fantastic...guess we have to start drilling bigger holes..LOL
Tony
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Tony »

Hey Rich, it's too bad about your luck with the no walleye... :roll: