Montreal Fishing with Carlco & Manny

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Montreal Fishing with Carlco & Manny

Post by big-o »

Just got back from Montreal.....What a blast i forget the total .....some where around 35 Walleye, two or three ling and A couple of Mud Puppys :shock: :D :D

Met Carlco at his house at 6:00 am, went to Hortons and we were off to Montreal, after a short stop for more Hortons :D , and meeting a buddy of Carls, we hit the big city....a senic drive thru down town Montreal We stopped at a local takle shop for my licence, a short drive from there, We met Manny at the water, a kinda stumble walk and slide down a icey hill :x :x :evil: we were there....now at this point I was a little bit on the worried side, first of all ,this was the first Ice we had come across....and we were only 20 yards from very open ,very fast , very cold looking water :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink: But Manny assured me that it was safe 8) :roll: :roll: Manny drilled about 8 holes and Carl drilled about 8 holes...I watched :D :oops: :lol: About 15 minutes after we set up Manny was releasing his third Walleye 8) Carlco was not long behind him pulling in several walleye and a monster ling...me nothing :x :evil: :oops: Carlco's friend....a non fishermen,was also getting in the action landing a couple of nice walleye....me nothing :evil: :evil: , Manny was putting on a clinic on how to catch walleye....me Nothing :evil: :evil: :evil: The bite had slowed down to nothing around 11, so Carl set up a few tip ups ...as soon as he had one set ...bang fish on....me nothing :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: , and of course Manny was still pullling them in!!! About noon I got my first Montreal walleye a wopping 8" :D :oops: the bite realy slowed down, well in fact it went away, about a hour later, I finaly got another one on, just to lose it at the hole, a few minutes later another light strike and I managed to land a nice 15 incher :D My total for the day was 8, ,My camera was kinda on the fritze, so I have very few Photo's :x
Here's carl setting up a tip up
the Walleye came and went for most of the day...but we did manage to get this creature from the depths
this was the smallest of the two Mud puppys that were caught today :shock: (both released). Manny caught the bigget of the day at Dusk, the pic i took blurred, not worth posting, but it was about 2.5 lbs, the fish had to be realed in real slow so they would blow their air bags....unfortantly, we did lose a few to this problem :? Here is what we brought home, oh yea I get to clean them :( ....just because I didn't drill a hole :wink: :wink:
My Thanks goes out Manny for taking me to this great Spot, although he was dissapointed that the bite was off today :shock: and To Carl for the drive out , both you guys are tops in my books and i can't wait till Feb. when we do it again

Here are the fish that we kept....Like i said My camera froze ...so please excuse the sink shots :oops: ....Carl I'll deliver your fish in the morning :D
Last edited by big-o on Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Sounds like a blast and an awosme day Big-O!!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Nice work boys....

Is that the air bag hangin out of their yaps?

How deep of water are they in that they blow their sacs???

RJ
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

mmmmmmmmmm. looks good :lol:
where abouts in montreal were you guys fishing??
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

WTG guys!!!Awsome report Phil :D Do you speak french??That might have helped you get em today :lol:

Awsome lookin day!

F.F
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Nice work fellas! I'd love to see a few walleye come up through an ice hole.

We have lots of those damn mud puppies here. They're something else. :lol: :lol:

Did ya keep the ling for a taste?
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Good going, guys!

Post by Cancatchbass »

Good going, guys!

Nice to see someone is catching fish. :D

Also curious how deep those fish were. Never had that happen with walleye in water up to 25 feet. Were you deeper than that?

CCB
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Big-O,

Sounds like a worthwhile time, even if the bite was kind of off. Funny you mentioned / posted a pic of the mudpuppy. Brian and I took the kids to our local zoo this morning and we spent a lot of time at the aquarium section...checking out the freshwater fish mostly for me!...but they had a display tank with a mudpuppy. I had no clue they were catchable -- and in Montreal, no less -- and at this time of year? Ya learn something new every day!

That's too bad about the air bladder problem. I've heard this happens when bringing them up from a significant depth too quickly and that it's fatal for the fish. How do you know how fast is too fast?

Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a couple of dinners from the catches. :D

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Awesome job!! I hope you measured them for some points! :D :D
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Snag,

Big-O had trouble figuring out the French measuring tape.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BENLEGER
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BENLEGER »

Nice Fish Guys!

BEN
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

RJ wrote:Snag,

Big-O had trouble figuring out the French measuring tape.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: Now remember, I believe the correct translation is one french inch = 2 english inches! :lol:
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

CCB WROTE:
Also curious how deep those fish were. Never had that happen with walleye in water up to 25 feet. Were you deeper than that?
Tom the fish were on the bottom and were were in about 60 feet of water,the bite was so soft and so deep it was almost impossible to set the hook, I think heavery line would help

SNAG WROTE:
Awesome job!! I hope you measured them for some points!
I measure 5...but they are small I'll cull them in the spring....where is the praying icon :roll: :roll: :wink:

Wolfe ....I told they guys when we released the first Mud Puppy, that we should have taken a pic for you, it was twice the size of this one :!:

MARKUS WROTE:
Did ya keep the ling for a taste?
No...how could you even think of eating them :shock: :? ....besides walleye were on the menu for breakfast :D :D

I forgot to mention ....Carlco is going to donate $42.00 to the city of Montreal....for not parking in the right area :x :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

TIP UP WROTE:
where abouts in montreal were you guys fishing??
I realy don't have a clue...i know we went thru a tunnel , over 2 dozen bridges, past The old Expo site, back under the 2 dozen bridges, over channels, Locks, Rivers....I think the best way to find the place...is look for Ice , it was the only patch in Montreal :shock: :shock: :roll:

RJ WROTE:
Is that the air bag hangin out of their yaps?
Yes.... :( :( :( :? :x :evil: as I said above....i think heavery line would take care of that problem...i was using my Crappie line 3lbs. test...Next time I'll have on 8 LBS test, 3lbs ...is just about impossible to set the hook :?
Buck
Participant
Participant

Post by Buck »

Hehehe!!! Welcome to my world Carlco and Big-O. I<ve been fishing with Manny for about 16 years.... Its my turn next week because I'm heading there!!!

Anywhom, way to go boyz, I'll post my report next week!!!

Buck
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Great day guys...I'll be looking for some measurments from my teammates...Carlco???....lets see them!!! :D :D