Charleston Lake Report #2 (pic added)

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Charleston Lake Report #2 (pic added)

Post by Dartee »

Well Got home from a weekend on the lake.
Sat June 4
Arrived at the in-laws later then expected but we got to the Prov. Park Launch by 6:30 missed the sunrise :( :( . Boy the parking was full.. Only 2 trailer spots left when we got there. I bet the parking at the village launch was a nightmare.

Launched the boat quickly (hey they changed the ramp and docks. :shock: ..not sure if I like the new setup)
Got to our chosen spot dropped the lines and started trolling. As with DV8,,, had a fish on within minutes, and then another and another but all small. They kept us from getting too comfortable.

By 7:30 we had worked our way up towards the village end of the Big waters and encountered this. Most of the boats are in the back ground and there were just as many to each side of the cameras field of view.

At least 20 boats in a 2 acre area :shock: no way was I playing bumper trollers. We pull lines and head to a new local. Had a coffee and a nibble to eat (2nd breakfast).
More small fish then Bang (or I should say pop)

9.5lbs 27 inch
(only 1 fish pic taken, Father in-law didn't want to take em or be taken with)

Total for the 2 of us on Sat. was 15 in the boat, Largest 9.5, 6.5, 6, 5, 4 lbs and alot of smaller ones. We also dragged a few around the lake. Had a few really hard hits that I would have loved to see but they didn't like the idea. All the fish were caught around 20' down in 70+ FOW

Sun
The morning was much quieter, parking was plentiful and we found the fishing a fair bit slower.. Picked up 3 quick fish with the biggest at 5 lbs.
The fish were really scattered. Went into Runnings for a bit to give it rub and printed fish from 10' all the way down to 168' in 298FOW some of the hooks were huge. Only had one hit there,,it peeled off about 20yards of line and then was gone. No idea what it was (suspect a pike). After that we called it a weekend.. Now I'm at work to rest...
Last edited by Dartee on Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Andre,

Sounds like you did all right. Wow, that pic of all the boats is a far different Charleston Lake than when I was there last week. Don't think I'd have liked to be in the thick of all that.

Can't wait for your pictures. Don't forget to post them. Lakers are gorgeous!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

You've got more patience than me. I'd rather be gobbie fishing than jockying for postion in a crowd like that. :?

Nice work with the laker hook ups!
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

1 trout pic added (had to load off site :( )
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hi Andre

Sounds and looks like you guys had a great day on the water....i hear you about when there are too many boats in the same area (Combat Fishing)...it's no fun, I thought about all you guys out on opening day...while i was in Chruch(wedding), I make opening day next year for sure...any one hear how Xenos did??
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Andre,

From this report and the ones last year I'd say you really know what you're doin or throwin out for that matter! Good Show!

Cheers,

MH
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

MonsterHunter wrote:Andre,

From this report and the ones last year I'd say you really know what you're doin or throwin out for that matter! Good Show!

Cheers,

MH
Thanks MH but I can't take all the credit,,it helps when you fish with someone who has fished the lake for the past 50yrs and is willing to share knowledge. The father in-law is also willing to try new lures as well.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Nicely done Andre,

usually once opening weekend is over, the big crowd's gone I find.

Good report :!:
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Northern King »

Nice fish and report :D Sounds like you guys had a good start to the season.
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Yes

Post by Legend »

:) Great stuff Andre...

A fellow team four member could use all the info possible for when we hit Charleston next month. :wink:

I'm surprised they got that big in that lake! :shock:

:) Legend
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

The worst part of that crowd is the 6 old dudes running 100 yards of leadcore out the back. :lol:
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Looks like you had a blast fishing for laker Andre shure looks like there was lots of boat on that lake Saturday and that laker is gorgeous. I was thinking of you Saturday morning when I get up and geting ready to go fishing in Wendover. All had to go and give a shot on lake trout one of these days never fish them before.
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Yes

Post by Dartee »

Legend wrote::)
I'm surprised they got that big in that lake! :shock:

:) Legend
Legend
There are bigger ones but few are caught..Every year there are a few 12+ caught (had 1 12 lber last year my biggest ever). And from the sonar marks you get in deepest holes I'm sure they are much bigger.
I'm told that years ago before the ice fishing season was closed, 12lbers were common and 20's were not unusual.
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

Markus wrote:The worst part of that crowd is the 6 old dudes running 100 yards of leadcore out the back. :lol:
There were a fair # dragging lead and swinging their arms. There are even a few locals that still drag steel line and bounce the bottom. Not fun when you snag one of their break offs.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Thanks for the update Andre.

May I suggest a flame thrower on your next outting. Great way to clear yourself some elbow room, and cook up a quick shore lunch.

Congrats.

M.T. Livewell