Derby Day....activity!

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

RJ wrote:Geez.....I didn't know Charles Manson was at the derby yesterday!... :shock:

Smile Float!!!!!!!!!... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe he was still in shock from the loss of 19 little friends :!: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I wish someone had snapped a pic! :lol: :lol: :lol:
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Got to thank Rox and Kev (Float Fishing), great time thanks for the hospitality.We were treated like family! Had a great time and met a lot of Hawk talkers. Can't say enough about you people, you are great! Thanks to the committee that put it all together, greymist and I have to help out on one of these outings, so we can give back to you people. Mike you should be a stand up comic you had Greymist and I doubled up in the van. bobber, ploughjock, BTS, seaweed, Slush. Bowzog, HOF, Salmon, Johnathan, Hoover, snag and so many others we met thankyou! What a good time. A few pics.
Bait shop bay.
Well just one, I'll download the rest later
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Wolfe,

No not mine....he was one of the workers that was at the Marina.....

Jazman, John and I.....we couldn't resist!

RJ
topwater
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topwater »

Was a real pleasure meeting and fishing with Shane (legend) I had a great time and caught my biggest crappie this year to boot :) the fish wern't exactly co-operative but we did manage to ice a few and Shane managed to increase the team 4 score by more than 1100 points over the two days :) :)

didn't get out to take many pictures (to warm in the shack) but heres a few I did get

Legend with his 11.5 inch crappie

crappie bay

the field of tip-ups
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Just wanted to add it was great meeting Legend as well. We tried saying goodbye to you before we left but, you had just left yourself apparently!

Nice meeting you Shane :!: Glad to see you made it up :!:
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

RJ wrote:Wolfe,

No not mine....he was one of the workers that was at the Marina.....

Jazman, John and I.....we couldn't resist!

RJ
Ah, not just a funny man, but the 3 stooges! :roll: :lol:

Well, you all gave me a laugh, regardless!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Oakborne
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Oakborne »

WHAT A GREAT DAY!!! Zory and I would like to thank everyone involved in running and setting up the derby for a perfect day. WE had a really good time and would also like to thank MT and Misses Livewell for there hospitality after dinner.
Heres the pike i got on Crappy bay
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Jeff..that is the best pic of you ever!! :lol: :lol:
Oakborne
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Oakborne »

Canadian Bacon wrote:Jeff..that is the best pic of you ever!! :lol: :lol:

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTT :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Well think im goin to get the # "19" tattooed tomorrow :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes this will be another tarnish on FF's glory cup :oops: :wink: Geeez I wore 16 in hockey, think he could have showed a few minutes later eh :lol:

TY Salmon for the pic!!!Sry I looked like RJ in the mornin, but I had to drill his holes you know :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WIG, where my "orange rap" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I want one :lol:

F.F
bosc
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bosc »

Great report and pictures.
6 hours is a bit out of the way, BUT oneday I hope to show up for a FH weekend.
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: indeed a cold day

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

It was a good day on the water. Got out on Walleye bay just after 7 am. Got 7 hits but only managed 2 small saugers in the morning. Moved over to crappie bay with Markus, Skumking, peng, and nighttroller at 9:30. Had a hard time hooking into the panfish but once I figured it out the fish just kept coming out the hole. I found with a panfish rod you don't actually feel the fish. You need to hold your rod and watch the spring. Any little bounce of the spring, set the hook.
icescool wrote:To the person that helped me: I can't remember your name but if you remember helping me please reply to my message so I can thank you directly.
Bucketmouth was the guy. I was the other guy watching you too struggle to get the auger through.

Cheers,

Mike
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Oakborne,

that's a good looking pike. Good for you!

I guess you really lost your head over that one. (ugh...that was bad!)

:lol:

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

Sorry I'm just getting around to adding to this report - as soon as the Derby was over my alter ego, Mike Lilly, had a restraining order on computers placed on him, and family duties prevailed.

The first person I would like to thank is the person who helped me learn something about my own courage and ability to deal with fear. I'm talking about the individual at the Tartan Pub who flicked the bathroom light switch on his way out. I was sitting in the only bathroom stall, one not entirely familiar to me, when my world was plunged into darkness blacker than Hades. I kept calm though. When it was clear that my cries for help were not being heard, I got a grip on myself and made a plan for getting out of my predicament. Hmmmm, let's see now... you've done this a million times with the light... just relax and let the Force guide you... 8)

It had also occurred to me that I wanted to get the light turned back on before someone else came in and found me alone in a pitch black washroom. Kind of a tough thing to explain away. :roll:

It was indeed a great day considering the cold. We sold about 130 Derby scorecards before 08:00 and I was thinking that we were going to have to print a whack more. But between 08:00 and 14:00 we managed to sell just another 10 scorecards. Obviously the cold kept people inside... but it sure didn't prevent those who came out from having a good time.

I can't believe the great pictures and reports that you guys have already come up with. WIG was on fire with his first post and I don't even think I was back in Stittsville before he had posted. Nice job of letting everyone know what was going on on Derby Day, WIG. You've kicked off a great thread. And thanks to everyone else who added pictures andreport. Fantastic!

I would have to say that the day ran incredibly smooth. Everyone who helped out was ready to do the job and even though it was -23 C when we first arrived, Jazman, Bobber, Kim, RJ, Bacon, and John worked through it no problem. Thanks a million gang.

While there is still a little accounting left to do, I am going to estimate that we managed to raise just a little shy of $3000 for Christie Lake Kids. That is pretty darn good for a day that was as cold as it was. Thanks to everyone who came out and bought a scorecard. Heck, there were those that bought scorecards and weren't even on Continental North America. I'm talking about a derby entry fee from Nassau Frank who lives in the Bahamas. THen there was Steve G who lives around Caledonia (probly right in it). That is tremendous spirit if you ask me. Thanks a million.

The Derby supper was fantastic. Thanks to Bacon for putting that together. And thanks to Shimano for sending Big Jim to talk to us. Was Big Jim on a roll or what? That was the longest inspirational seminar I have ever seen him give! Afterwards I was helping Jim get his stuff out to his truck and he was very enthusiastic in complimenting you guys as a group. He loved the questions everyone had and the more the better. I have to admit though... it was a small room to have so many people breathing in. At one point I had stepped outside and when I returned I am sure that you guys only had about 30 seconds of oxygen left and Jim was consuming that as quick as he could speak. And thanks to Ed Puddephat (Paddletales) and Crystal Brown(Baitcasters) and Yves Grandmaitre (Petrie Island Bait ad Tackle) for joining us for supper. We sometimes refer to us Hawk Talking anglers as a community, and it was a nice addition having the people who we buy a lot of stuff from in the same room this time around. Thanks for accepting our invitation.

And thanks again to everyone. I hope to post some of my own Derby Pictures in a story of some sort later this week.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"