Derby Day....activity!

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

Hey Wolfe,

NASTY COLD :shock: ,That definitely describes it.At one point the Sun came up when there was no wind and we thought it was going to be great.Then came the wind and that was it, only the brave souls like Wig and the gang stuck it out.Myself, Markus ,Nighttroller and Peng headed for warmer pastures in Crappie bay.

A great time was had by all.

Scumking(Ron)
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

AHHHHHH A GREAT DAY!!!!!Cold yessssssssssss!!!

I 1st off have to thank FH, and Bobber, for the best site on the net, and let alone the times we have had!!!!

I also would like to thank (Sry if I miss anyone)FH, Bobber, RJ, Kim, Jazman, John, Markus, MT, Hoover, Big Jim, And no doubt CB Bacon!!!!

You guys put us into a frenzy of freindships(New and old) and your, Hard work, planning, set-up, and all around will be a time to be talked bout for a lonnnnng while!!!

Hats off to ya's all!!!!!

Bacon, was a QB in this and would like to thank him esp for all his hard work in getting us there and making this derby what it was!!!!THX BRO!!!

Fishing was slow, got a small eye, a few nice monsters were pulled by WIG :wink: HOF gotta nice little eye aswell.

Lost a few "Fish" ya thats it fish :lol: Will be left off the board what happened for me and a few others(PM if you would like)I feel this will be posted by another B4 I go into details :lol:

The derby was awsome all!!!!!The food afterwards was awsome!!!

I would like to congragulate the "Little Guy" who took 2nd place!!!Well deserved big guy!!!!!!Also to all who won and also most of all attended!!!

I had the pleasure of having FFF(Fishforfun) and Grey mist stay with Roxy and I for the weekend aswell.I must thank them , and have to say, anytime anyone has an opp to fish with them, trust me!!!These folks were a blast to have, not only on the ice but at home aswell!!Hard to imagine meeting 2 better people out there!!!A absolout pleasure to have them as our guests, and as our freinds!!!!

Met ED (Toobinator) for the 1st time, Crystal from "Baitcasters" again always a pleasure to see new and familliar faces :D (P.S to Crystal..........Tell Mike we are goin floatin!!!!)

I thank Salmon, and the greatest fishermen on this board"Jonothan" for takin a pic of my "Monster" and all others who came in from the long drive in!!!Legend came up, was a treat to meet him aswell!!!!

Many names to mention, and I thank you all!!!!

Big Jim gave us a great talk, and was hands down alot, I mean alot of info that will be used and shared for sure!!! THX JIM!!!!!

In closing I would also like to thank MT for being a great friend, and a better sport to let me catch a few fish while he napped in the van :lol: Bacon again for his hard work, and everyone involved!

The very thankfull F.F, and Roxy :D
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Here's a pic of my dad's monster for the day!.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

More pics to follow...

RJ
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

It was totaly awsome. great to meet some fish hawkers
Northamfishing Tackle
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I'm happy to have another fish-hawk road trip experience to remember! :P

What a good time. My buddy Hoover made the 6 hour drive to Ottawa with me. We arrived late Friday night and after accepting an invite from Bacon to stop by petri island bait shop and say a hello, we soon found ourselves setting up the bobber dome in the dark and enjoying -22C temps! :lol: That only took 1 or 2 hours and was a good laugh.

MT Livewell and Misses Livewell were our hosts for 2 nights.

Saturday morning wasn't as cold as Friday night, but compared to the winter weather we get in SW ON it was still plenty cold! I started off on Bait Shop Bay, but I soon found myself making my way to Crappie Bay.

After a little wait, I managed to ice some bluegills. It was great watching the Hawk Talkers pull gills and crappie out. I even got to watch about 5 pike come off the tip ups. I really enjoyed it.

I'd never be able to thank everyone for making this weekend a great time for me, but I do want to say thanks to a few. First to MT for housing me for 2 nights. Your hospitality is always a welcome treat. Secondly, Hoover, for giving me company in the van for 12 hours. Thirdly Nighttroller, Pro Bassing, Peng and Scum King for showing me around the bays. And lastly Bacon, Bobber and Mike for hosting another great event.

I meet so many new faces. It was a pleasure meeting every single one of you for the first time as well as all the other folks I meet in SE ON in the past. Hawk talkers truly are a unique and friendly bunch.

I regret that I didn't get a pile of pics. :( I only managed one of Hoover knocking a hole through with HOF's power auger.

I can't wait until the Spring adventure weekend so I can enjoy hanging out with you folks again. :P
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

Just another reason to be a proud Hawk-Talker.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

here's a few more....

Kim at the Bobber Dome....

And this one is for Wolfe and Slushy.....I know how to hold a dog.... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a great dog!

Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Wow

Post by Legend »

:) What a great couple of days! :D

I drove to Ottawa on Friday to ... ahem... pre-fish the petrie area and was guided by none other than Topwater himself. The man knows his ice fishing! :D It wasn't long before the bluegill category was history and I was given an opportunity to check out what a Vexilar can do. (My wife thanks you for that!) After getting a good sense of the area we knew where to be on Saturday.

Saturday morning was indeed colder, my winshield washer was turning to slush. :? And I was thinking multiple layers of clothing and a thermos full of Tims finest. After some brief introductions at the registration booth, I hooked back up with Topwater at "the secret spot" and we were right back where we started... hauling fish out front, left and centre.

Topwater needed, and deserved a break... seen here gently warming his cinnamon bun on the gas heater.

On this day, the Crappie were respectable and even the Perch were keepers. Thanks to Topwater for keeping things lively and warm!

After the Derby was over I met many of you near the "Bobber Dome" and was able to put names to faces.

The food and fellowship at the Tartan pub was super... I'm not sure if it was so cold my eyes were playing tricks on me, but I could swear I saw Markus eating Salad adorned with a nice raspberry vinigrette. :D Probably my imagination.

All in all, the derby was excellent and was worth the drive to the nations' capital... Good job, and thanks to all for making such a great memory.

:) Legend
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by jazman »

A great day for me as well... nice thing about hanging around the Bobber dome is you get to say hi to everyone at least 2x :)

Nice to see the guys who made the run up for the derby, that says something about them, and the gang they are coming to hook up with.

Sounds like the fishing was ok for some, at least the panfish stock is pretty strong.

Learned some new stuff from Big Jim... always appreciate listening to his stories. Ed and Crystal showed why we like them and their shops... they are real folks.

I am sending my pics onto Mr Fishhawk and Bobber for their telling of the tale... have seen some great shots so far.... nice hold on that pooch RJ :)

Thanks for another great memory.

J
Jonathan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jonathan »

:D i had a good time and want to thank Seaweed for letting my dad and I stay at his house. I slept very well. :D Also thanks for the frog I will send you a picture of the first bass I catch with it. It was a little cold some times, but I stayed in the tent a lot with the heater. i guess I could have let my dad catch a fish.. :twisted: I did get one fish,it wasnt big but it was a fish. I liked listening to Big Jim and got him to sign my fish-hawk hat. i will see everyone another time. thanks for everything.

Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Had a great time yesterday! Met alot of hawktalkers but not all of 'em! Too many! Twas a busy spot I tell ya! And cold, man was it cold!!!! I'd do it again in a second though! Awesome!! :D :D :D
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D It was a great time. Good weather for a road trip and good company when we got there. I would like to thank Seaweed for hosting us and supplying us with great company and some fishing tips. Jonathan now wants to stock up on rubber frogs and wouldnt you know Bass pro shop was on the way home. He was carefull to select one with a white belly. :wink: It was great to meet everyone and even though he most likely only lives 20 mins away I met Legend down there as well. We had a good time despite my inability to beat Jonathan :shock: Next time I will catch a fish. :lol: The main thing was it was a good outing ,good folks and we learned some things from Big Jim. Thanks for having us over as well M.T. and Misses :wink:

And I learned a new finesse technique for these fish. It would appear that constant attention to detail may not always be required. Leave line alone..let hole freeze..come back and kick at hole and bingo out comes your fish.. :lol:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Geez.....I didn't know Charles Manson was at the derby yesterday!... :shock:

Smile Float!!!!!!!!!... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Wow

Post by wolfe »

Legend wrote::) Topwater needed, and deserved a break... seen here gently warming his cinnamon bun on the gas heater.
Oh my, Topwater, I hope your "cinnamon bun" didn't freeze out there! :oops: :lol: :lol:

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

RJ wrote:And this one is for Wolfe and Slushy.....I know how to hold a dog.... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RJ!! :lol: :lol: Funny man!
(Gotta agree with you, though; that's the way to do it!) Is the husky yours? Gorgeous!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.