St. Lawrence Carpin' with Fish-hawk and Topwater

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

The bug

Post by Legend »

:) WTG gentlemen... I see you've found the big girls! :D

Forget the upgrade on the equipment John, it's now time to target them with ultra-lite tackle. In the Great Lakes section, Skeiner grabbed a dandy out of the Grand river on a float rod / reel and a 3lb flourocarbon leader! :shock:

Now that would have been insane.

Good job guys!

:) Legend
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I love these carp reports John. I know topwater is hooked on catching these big cows! And it's great to see Fishhawk with a rod in his hands. :P

John, JoeOD is your sterotypical britt with a huge carp fetish too. We were thinking about trying your area sometime this season. Typically...how long does the bite stay hot for the piggies?
Astro-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Astro-Mike »

sweet fish guys...
Hoss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hoss »

Great report guys. Congrats
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

I am always amazed at how "GINORMOUS" those carp can get. And looks like you boys found the weight watcher's flunkies! Big Bloats!

Congrats on a great outing and love those fantastic pics.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Markus wrote:Typically...how long does the bite stay hot for the piggies?
I'd say the very best fishing is going to be within the next 2 weeks before they spawn but a few days after that they'll get on the feed again. The big catches come while they're all grouped together. Once the heat hits they tend to spread out and become harder to locate. It's strange sometimes you'll see the fish sunning themselves in groups of 10-20 in a bay but for the most part they find those bays too warm and go deeper.

In about 6 weeks it will start to become more difficult and days of 4-5 fish or less will become much more common with the odd good day mixed in.

The 32 i had was full of spawn so that fish will probably be 28lbs later in the year... Ideally you're looking to catch those regular 40lbers who could be in the upper 40's at this time of year.