Montreal Fishing with Carlco & Manny

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
allan.c
Participant
Participant

where

Post by allan.c »

hello everyone,carlco where did you say you were fishing could it be possibly near jacques cartier bridge :wink: another good spot is along the canal in cote saint catherine and off the wharfs in old montreal the eddys made by the cement walls are the best spots and around the clock located at the end of the pier. BREDOUILLE
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Great stuff, wish I was there! :cry:
Well and truly hooked!
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

ratsotail wrote:I see Manny had his traditional Spring fishing clothes on again. That boy just does not get cold in the winter does he!

Ratsotail
Your just jealous :wink: :wink: . Actually, I think once, '97 I think, I actually had to put a toque on. I try and wear that disgusting old jacket most of the time because whenever it actually gets cold, I wear my real winter jacket and get screamed at by my gf for wearing it ice-fishing.

Apparently it reaks of minnows.

Hate snow pants.

Going fishing 8) 8)

Manny
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Fast water ice fishing

Post by Seaweed »

At what point does it get too scary for you guys to ice fish?

Yes you caught some nice fish... but I know the area you guys are talking about fishing... and... hate to play devils advocate but .... where it is borderline unsafe.

I guess all I am trying to say is that there are safer areas that could be fished and less experienced anglers need to stick to those locations. They need to find nice thick ice away from current and open water.

You guys are vetran anglers and Manny you obviously have done your homework but it worries me when we post here on Fish-Hawk.net about fishing beside fast open water on a shelf of ice in the St. Lawrence over sixty feet of fast moving water.

Our less than experienced anglers need to know that this is the last place they need to be venturing out on in search of fish. They should be sticking to the beaten path where others are already out and stick to those areas until they too gain some experience on the ice.

Don`t mean to sound negative here guys. But we do all owe it to portray the safest and best way for anglers to chase fish on the ice in the winter.

In closing I just want to say .... anyone who can get to this spot and fish for the day then manage to retreat to the car and get home with enough energy to fillet your catch deserves to catch big fish and plenty of them. You guys are wild men for sure. Just wish I still had the energy and was fit enough to follow in your footsteps. I used to fish the St. Lawrence and miss the action some days.... and the Brandy too. :twisted:
Buck
Participant
Participant

Post by Buck »

Seaweed,

Manny and I have ice fished for quite a while (over 15 years). Just to let everyone know, we do our homework, we are not negligent fisherman. When it seems unsafe, we do have an option button that allows us to pack and come back another day. Personnally, alot of you guys probably bring you vehicles on the ice... Which is more dangerous do you think? 2 tons on 18 inch of ice or 200 pounds on 10 inches... Anywhom, please do not worry, and Seaweed, since you mention that they posted some information on fishing close to moving water, why then, in most of the open water pics that are sent out, nobody wears a PFD???

Later,

Buck
Buck
Participant
Participant

Post by Buck »

not to mention the Brandy....
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Seaweed

Where did you read where we were fishing!!!!!!!!, unless you can read my mind you havent got a clue where we were!!!! You must think I'm a fool , I been on ice My whole life...i know what safe ice is and was is not !! no one is telling people to go out on unsafe ice!!!!!!!!!!! And i don't drink, , I don't know where you get these ideas :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Manny wrote:
ratsotail wrote:I see Manny had his traditional Spring fishing clothes on again. That boy just does not get cold in the winter does he!

Ratsotail
I guess the tolerance for cold isn't in my English genes. I see you had your hands in the water again judging by the glistening in the pictures (you looked pretty sleepy too...must have gotten into Sea Weed's Brandy, eh!). You da' man Manny!

Your just jealous :wink: :wink: . Actually, I think once, '97 I think, I actually had to put a toque on. I try and wear that disgusting old jacket most of the time because whenever it actually gets cold, I wear my real winter jacket and get screamed at by my gf for wearing it ice-fishing.

Apparently it reaks of minnows.

Hate snow pants.

Going fishing 8) 8)

Manny
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Quit freaking out... if I want to be Mr. Freaking Safety

Post by Seaweed »

I never said that anyone of you were intentionally pointing anyone to fish in unsafe waters.

What I did say is that we need to be careful that we don`t lead people to believe that it is safe to fish on the ice near open water.

It seems everytime I comment on safety issues here that I am being targeted by people who feel personally slighted by my posts.

I am not responsible for anyones feelings.... and as a matter of fact grow up and don`t read anything into what I am saying. Reread it if you need to but don`t just turn around and think that I am attacking you.

The last time I got this response was in regards to guys making trips down to fish Quinte after working double shifts and the only reason I replied that I thought that was a bit weird was because I was worried for their welfare and the welfare of others on the road with people trailering a boat from here to there. Once again someone totally took that comment out of slight also and more or less totally dissed me then too.

Ok that being said.

I am going to call a spade a spade here if I think there could be newer anglers who could misinterpret what is being posted here and find themselves in touble be it in a boat, fishing from shore or fishing on the ice. If I feel it needs to be spelled out that danger is out there.... I`m going to let them know.

I am grateful to fellow anglers who over the years have helped me to avoid problems while fishing and that has been in many areas .... like where to fish what to fish with and who to fish with.... but more importantly where not to fish , what not to do and who I should avoid like the frigging plaque so that I don`t get into trouble.

Any one having issues with stuff I post here please feel free to let me know but do me a big favor and double read the post first and then let me know... anyone here who has shared time on the water with me here knows that I`m not a person who stirs the pot for something to do. I am a very consentious person who cares what people think and I try to respect everyone for their individual rights to beliefs and practises.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

SEAWEED WROTE:
At what point does it get too scary for you guys to ice fish?

Yes you caught some nice fish... but I know the area you guys are talking about fishing... and... hate to play devils advocate but .... where it is borderline unsafe.
Again , unless Carlco told you yesterday or today where we were ...you don't know, and if you did know ...you were not there to see the ice conditions, ....there was better than 12"of Black ice, so how can you say it was borderline unsafe....FALSE STATMENT

SEAWEED WROTE:
The last time I got this response was in regards to guys making trips down to fish Quinte after working double shifts and the only reason I replied that I thought that was a bit weird was because I was worried for their welfare and the welfare of others on the road with people trailering a boat from here to there. Once again someone totally took that comment out of slight also and more or less totally dissed me then too.
Lets give this Statment a go Shall we....first of All ,I don't work Saturdays
much less pull a double shift on one, Yes i went to Port Hope twice that weekend....Once With John where i drove...the second trip was with RJ where he drove....two trips ...two drivers Now I've read this statment two or three times, and i still come up with , that you are saying that i was putting lives in danger , and i object to you saying that I was..SO FALSE...AGAIN

Remember this statment.....Oh sure RJ and Big-O go fishing for a day , and the first thing we Know the get together is in their own back yard

Again FALSE I live in Kenmore ....you live closer to Arnpior than i do, and RJ at the time was living in Ottawa......so there was another FALSE statment :!: :!: :!:

SEAWEED WROTE:
am not responsible for anyones feelings.... and as a matter of fact grow up and don`t read anything into what I am saying. Reread it if you need to but don`t just turn around and think that I am attacking you.
Now you read the Above Statments that you have come up with....and you think i'm mis reading , I think NOT....It's not I who should grow up...Chris I think you should look at the guy in your bathroom mirror and talk to him .......I will not responed any more on this subject.....Chris you took all the fun out of a great fishing trip Thanks
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Montreal Fishing with Carlco & Manny

Post by Seaweed »

big-o wrote:now at this point I was a little bit on the worried side, first of all ,this was the first Ice we had come across....and we were only 20 yards from very open ,very fast , very cold looking water :shock: :shock: :shock:
In case anyone else wanders on to this discussion string the above statement was the reason I elected to point out to the less than experienced ice fishers that fishing near open water is not highly advisable... and that was the only point I was trying to make.

I have sent Private Messages to everyone involved in this and appoligized and tried to explain that in no way was I trying to say that I thought they were trying to endanger anyones life.

Big O I have trie to explain my point here and obviously you just don`t like my answers... and that is too bad because most of this discussion string has little or nothing to do with the outing you all enjoyed in Montreal and I would like to appologise to everyone for this whole mess.
Icemanstan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

JUST TOO SAY HI

Post by Icemanstan »

HI Seaweed
WE met at baitcasters derby last year we talked a long time, hope to see you there again .

fish-on
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Welcome

Post by Seaweed »

Welcome to Fish-Hawk.net

You will love it here... all kinds of fishing information and also a great way to stay in touch with what is going on in and around the area with everyone who fishes.

Gotta love this place..... :wink:
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Hee Haw :lol: ......I go away for a couple months and nothing changes! :P

Okay...not picking sides here but here's a rather scary story from 20 years ago on Quinte.

We were well out in the middle of the bay in front of Fosters, perhaps 1/2 mile. There was no snow and we had 8 inches of good, solid, clear black ice.....when we got there. It was mid week, early in the season and we were alone but around us were huts. It was a cold day and we felt safe.

Using fluttering Champs and minnow we weren't initially aware each time our lures dropped they fluttered "downstream"

After a couple hours we picked up on the downstream flutter and noticed the ice had eroded substantially. There was 1/2 the ice when we started! We made a beeline for shore. In one area we crossed we could see debris drifting under the ice!

Later we heard alot of huts and one ATV went in that day. Luckily no anglers did.

It was thought a dam was opened up or a thawing took place somewhere many miles upstream on the Trent system a day or so earlier.

Sometimes you never know.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Surely it does happen.....

We walked out at Huffs one day at Quinte....turned the handle of a manual auger once.....and it went thru... :shock: ....no wonder there was noone out there but the huts.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

but we all have to be responsible for our decisions.....if I go out on bad ice and fall thru....I won't look for anyone to blame but myself....I think most people are afraid of ice fishing to begin with.....so anyone heading out KNOWS what they are getting into...

RJ