petrie (again) today!sunday

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

wolfe i think your right about the owl being a barred owl. im goin to look around to find out for sure.
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Hi Tip up
I was out Saturday within a half mile from where you guys were fishing and we saw three owls that looked a lot like these birds
http://huskertsd.tripod.com/species_pho ... ay_owl.htm
The birds we saw had yellow eyes , did the one you see?
I believe the barred owl has black eyes.
Here is another owl site I found
http://www.owlpages.com/species/strix/n ... efault.htm
Well and truly hooked!
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Here's a clearer picture of the same owl ccb.

Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

thats the one iceman ,were there 3 ??. nice pic john.

tip-up
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Thanks, John.

Post by Cancatchbass »

Thanks, John- solves the puzzle.

Great Grey!

CCB
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

I agree with CCB. That's a much clearer image. Also, hearing "yellow eyes" knocks out the barred owl hunch as they have brown eyes.

Great greys sound like I'd imagine a big monkey to sound like. Single, loud HOO! repeated... When I listen to them on a birding CD I have, my son and I call them "ape owls"!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

thats the one iceman ,were there 3 ??.
Yup saw three off them while we were walking/fishing all the back channels @Petrie.
I don't get the chance to see owls very often and to see three great gray owls in the same morning it was something else :shock:
If you see some one in a fish trap it may be me stop and say hello, I'll keep a look out for you too!
Well and truly hooked!
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

il be sure to come and knock on your fish trap iceman . how was your fishing that day??
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

ICEMAN wrote:Hi ratsotail,
So you got out Sunday as well must say I am jealous.
You were right the three owls we saw were great Gray owls there was a blurb in the birdwatcher section of the Ottawa Citizen in Saturdays paper.
It was great fishing with you again wasn’t that a hoot catching bass through the ice, mind you with the miles we walked and holes we drilled we earned them!
Aren’t our game wardens special they have such a way with folk? I wonder if the read stuff of this site. They have been to Petrie three times this year that may have something to do with the amount of chatter about Crappie bay!
Dave will find out about his winter holidays in the next day or two I should have no problem getting the same time, will PM you dates when they are confirmed.

Nice pictures tip up, got to get me a digital camera, I was about 10 feet away from one of the owls and would have loved a picture, plus pictures of the fish caught to post would have been nice.
Iceman,

I really enjoyed scoping some new water out with good company. It panned out in the long run and was worth the effort. My shoulders are going to be huge by the time this ice season is over.

I had a camera with me (not digital) when we fished and should have snapped some. I always get pics on CD and hardcopy since it's pretty cheap.

I look forward to a day or two with you and Dave in Feb. if you can spare the time.

I don't know why the encounter with the conservation officer bugged me so much...I think it's the fact knowing you are totally legal and you are being treated like a potential poucher that bugs me...and I hope they do read these posts to learn a better bedside manner. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Keep in touch,

Ratsotail
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

il be sure to come and knock on your fish trap iceman . how was your fishing that day??
Pretty tough we spend a good part of the day walking and drilling but we caught several large mouths :o , crappie and a bunch of perch. Tried for pike with enormous baits, but no luck for them this time :roll: . Still need to find spots that have seen little pressure, while this is a great place to chat it can put lots of pressure :evil: on a small spot with a single posting!

I will be out in the area next Saturday but doubtfull to be in the same spot for long, plan on covering lots of water :shock:

Ratsotail will PM you towards end of work week!
Well and truly hooked!