Finally Did Some Downriggin.....And I love it!!!!

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Finally Did Some Downriggin.....And I love it!!!!

Post by skooter »

:D :D :D

I was just workin on my planner board post last nite, ...when Geoff got a hold of me, He was going out in the the morning with his dad, uncle, and one other fella. The other fella couldn't make it and he wondered if I would be interested, ......do fish swim? :shock: :lol:

This would also give me a chance to see if my "new" FH hat was any "luckier" than the old one.... :wink:

The only down side, .....had to be in Dalhousie by 5:00AM sharp,.....Some quick mental calculations told me that sleep would be at a premium, ....rushed to finish up my post,....(you may have noticed that it was not up to my usual literary standards :roll: ) ...to get some shut eye.

Having never been to this place, ....I wanted to get there a bit early, so I could look around a bit, and know where I was goin....sort of :roll:

....Didn't wake up till about 10min. past my anticipated departure time, :shock: .....ever seen anyone running around in the dark, .....cursing & smiling at the same time? ....Glad you haven't, .....Its not pretty.... :lol:

Luckily traffic was not heavy,
....and many thanks to the trucker that I followed down the QEW, ....travelling 125 or so.... :wink:

Arrived in plenty of time, ......cranked the tunes and cruised for a bit..... 8)

As the sky was just beginning to lighten, I met them at the ramp ....and we were off.... :!:

After a nice "Brisk" run, (she's still a little cool in the morning), we start setting up, Geoff is just putting the line out to attach to the downrigger and wham,...fish on, ...pulls in a 3 or 4 lb cohoe, ...first fish in the boat and we're not really "fishing" yet.....could this be an omen? :D

Start over and get everything set up, ....now it's waiting time.......

I've always wanted to get my own sunrise pic, like the ones I've seen posted here before..... 8)

Not long after, ...solid strike on the dippsey, Geoff's uncle takes the rod, .....and the battle is on,

A while later, ..... and fish #2 is in the cooler....

I'm up next, .....okay, ......probably all the fish will get lockjaw now.... :roll:

Wait!!! .....My new hat, .....c'mon baby, .....be there, .....don't want to have to buy another one.. :roll: :lol:

Zing, ....the dippsey again, ....whoa momma, ...this ain't no perch... :shock:

Fought that puppy for the better part of the weekend, ...or so I thought, ...finally, ...my first salmon, ...I take solace in the fact that "he", ...I think,(didn't see no boobs) looked as tired as me.... :oops:

weighed in at 17lbs....what the heck, ....two pics... :wink:

Geoff's dad was up next, ....couldn't get any pics of his fish, since every time he was up, I was drivin the boat.....

Geoff got a beauty on after that, ....probably over 20lbs, .....we had been greedy and left the other lines out when we had a hook up, ....this one wrapped around a rigger cable and left the building
....after that the lines came in with a fish on, ...."You've got to let them know who's boss Geoff", (private joke, ....not at the time though)

Geoff's uncle hauled in another beauty,...

Yours truly is up one more time, ....Is this really a lucky hat? :? .......yupper.... :D

Geoff's dad got one more too, ...guess who's drivin the boat again....... :roll:

I know Geoff has some pics that he will probably put up later, ....he was headin back out, .....with Mark and the girls this time, ....when I left.

We packed it in just after noon, .... :cry:

This is our final haul for the day, (Geoff's uncle was there first, .....so he grabbed the biggest fish) :lol:

Left to Right Geoff's Uncle, Geoff's Dad, "Lucky Hat" :D

Geoff's boat, ....You notice the added accessory in the back of the boat, .....wasn't there when we went out, ....I guess he wanted to keep distractions to a minimum for us .... :shock: :roll: :lol:

Can't wait to boat a fish with my riggers, ....now I've got my feet wet, .....and that's all I got wet today.

A lot of laughs, ....a few digs, .... a wealth of knowlege, and some fish, .....what more could you want?

Thanks for the invite Geoff, ...to fish, ....and meet some of your family, .... Lookin forward to the next time....you said my boat....right? :wink:

skooter
Last edited by skooter on Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roughrider
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

excellent read

Post by roughrider »

Yep,another troller/rigger for life. Great tale Scooter,roughrider
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Great report Skooter :!:

Man I'm jealous....once again :!: :roll:
Ladyfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Ladyfish »

:D Congrats Skooter
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Hoover, I really like the latest accessory you added to the boat. :wink:

Shooter, great fish, and as always, great prose. :D

M.T. Livewell
packrat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by packrat »

Good report Skooter and great pics as well. Guess who's green with envy :D Later, Gord
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Skooter, thx for the heads up to this post.

CONGRATULATIONS on your first (and second) salmon! Good going!

Enjoyed the fun report, in typical Skooter fashion, and the great pics.

Glad to hear you had such a great time and successful outing.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D You did better than we did today..or should I say I...Jonathan got a coho. :lol:
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Awsome report and even better pics! Well done!
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey Scooter .....Congrats on your first Salmon, nice fish, Way to go Hoover, you have hooked another Big Lake fishermen :lol: :wink: Scooter, you have the best Picture reports on the board , When reading them and looking at the photo's , makes feel that I'm the boat with you...way to go :lol: :D :D
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Congrats Skooter. I must have just missed you...the seat o the boat was still warm when a sat down. :lol:

Sorry I didn't make it out your way to drop the minnow pail off. We'll find a way to get it back to ya soon enough.

Great report and good looking catch! :P
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

Markus wrote:Congrats Skooter. I must have just missed you...the seat o the boat was still warm when a sat down. :lol:

Sorry I didn't make it out your way to drop the minnow pail off. We'll find a way to get it back to ya soon enough.

Great report and good looking catch! :P
Actually, ...I saw you stuck in the QEW traffic going the other way, ...I left just after you called Hoover, ...so I was watchin for ya,....FH hat stuck out like a sore thumb,.... :wink:

I honked, but you didn't look, .....and the guy in front of me gave me the finger to boot, :shock: ....oh well :lol:

Maybe I can talk mama into buying some plants tomorrow....if you get my drift,... :wink:
bosc
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bosc »

Nice report Skooter.......somehow this might convince me to put riggers on one day. :D
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

skooter wrote:
Markus wrote:Sorry I didn't make it out your way to drop the minnow pail off. We'll find a way to get it back to ya soon enough.
Maybe I can talk mama into buying some plants tomorrow....if you get my drift,... :wink:
Well, my plan worked to perfection, ....except, .... no one mentioned that Markus doesn't sell to the public....... :shock:

So, ....I got my minnow pail back, ...and prepared to settle down in the "dog house" ....again, :cry:

...always thinking though, ...I remembered passing another place. .... on this side of Delhi,
.....stopped there, ....and said that this was the actual "retail" outlet, :roll: .....close to $100 later, ...I think I'm back in the house again.... :lol: :lol: :wink:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Sorry I couldn't take you for a tour or something today. We ship out about 50-70 tractor trailer loads a day, so it was way to busy down there to bring someone in. If it was after hours or on the weekend, we would have been ok.

Good seeing ya today anyway! :P