jiffy model 30 ice auger gad flooding

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lenb12
Participant
Participant

jiffy model 30 ice auger gad flooding

Post by lenb12 »

Hi Everyone :

I just bought a new jiffy model 30 and I managed to tune the carb for low and high idle. This auger is very temperamental - I found that I would have to open the throttle while pulling the cord (I know it's unsafe, but it wouldn't start most of the time). I am using the correct oil:fuel ratio which is 40:1 menaing that for 500ml of fuel, Iam putting in 12 ml of castrol 2 stroke oil.

Now get this - if I lean the auger down on the spark plug side - IT FRIGGIN FLOODS !!! Also, if I loean the auger slightly toward the plug end while it stands upright, it will start puking ! This will be a pain in the butt when I have to load the auger on my sled - I shouldn't be expected to make sure that the auger is always oriented a certain way !

What gives with this auger anyhow ?

Len
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

I have an older Jiffy 30 and it works fine for me...I throw it in back of the truck or sometimes on the rack of the ATV and drive out on the river and it usually starts within a few pulls.....I'm surprised your Jiffy is 40:1??? :shock: ....my Jiffy mixture is 24:1 and it's clearly marked on the label on the auger.....
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

auger

Post by bottom feeder »

Hi Len
Plowjock and I went in on a Jiffy 30 the winter before last and at first he put gas in from the boat gas can and it was 30:1.It worked like crap
WE put 24:1 in and it has worked fine since. Starts first pull (well almost).
I would suggest changing to 24:1 first and if this does not help, return it for another.(warranty)
Not using the right mixture can foul a motor bad as any boater can attest to.
My input
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

If you mean that it dies when you lean on it's side, I think that is normal for the Jiffy 30. But if the first thing youneed to do with an auger is when it is started let it warm up properly (at least 2 minutes).

My Jiffy when I took it out of the box and put gas in it, recommended is 24:1( why did you use 40:1??) it started on the 2nd pull and I haven't touched anything since. and it always starts on the second pull.

It starts on the first pull with choke on fully, then dies I put the choke halfway then it starts for good I let it warm up properly.
A new Jiffy usually comes with a bottle oil that you mix with 1 gallon of gas and it is the right ratio plus it has fuel stabilzer already added.

besides that Jiffy's are JUNK so I'll give you 75.00 for it!!!!!! and take it off your hands.
Last edited by Wallyboss on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

gas

Post by plncrzy »

1)Make absolutely certain that you have FRESH PREMIUM (NO ETHANOL!!!)gas and a GOOD 2 stroke oil and while youre at it, put in some fuel stabilizer.

2) Its my understanding that Jiffys are really tight when new and take a while to break in. Some motors may be a little tighter than others when new.... so You may need to run a tank ot two through it to get it loosened up so it can run better.

3) I would take the auger off and run the motor somewhere that the neighbors wont complain about the noise, run a tank at varying throttle levels. Then try tunning the motor with it warm at operating temp.... when starting cold after that... you should just need to prime it well, with the choke at full... It will start rich and yopu may have to keep the choke partly on until it warms up.... after that it should be OK.

I have a Eskimo and never had that problem from the start... but I have used/operated some jiffys that were very tempermental. My understanding as I said is that the reasoning is because they require a lot of break-in time before they will run smoothly.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Same as all other guys Len...Mine uses 24:1 as well and it was bought three years ago...We also found that with the Jiffy 30 if you tilt it toward the plug it stalls out like you said so yeah we have to make sure it is always the right way...and when moving it around while running we make sure the plug is up in the air. We have used ours many many times and still to this day runs like that. We just grew used to it like that :lol:
Priorguy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Priorguy »

Same.. 24:1 was a good mix.. Mine I found I never touched the throttle and set the choke 1/2 way.. pump it at least 10 times and every time it starts on the first pull. Before doing this I had a lot of trouble with it.

Once it started I would then push the plunger a couple times to keep her runnin and she chews ice fantastic....

I think the heavey mix oil your doing is part of the trouble your having becuase the piston is really having to work.

Priorguy!
lenb12
Participant
Participant

!

Post by lenb12 »

Thanks for all the information guys !Why do I come to this site ? Because there are so many great people willing to share their information and experiences. When I get more experience with fishing and the hardware associated with it, I will try to help too !

Now, back to my auger issue. It's spinning like a top now(but the side tilt toward the plug is still a problem which I will get to below). Once I got the auger running, with the help of research on the internet, I found that adjusting the low idle screw(why do they have those plastic knobs which don't really don't work well on the idle screws ?) 1 1/4 turns makes it run smoothly. Also, the high idle screw has to be adjusted to 5/8 turn. I am running a 40:1 oil:gas ratio (this is written on the fuel tank and in the manual) on my new model 30 Jiffy. I am using castrol 2-stroke oil(synthetic is not proven to be more effective).

To almontefisher : thanks for telling me about the engine cut-out on your auger when tilted towards the spark plug - it offers a little bit of moral support in terms of me not bringing the auger back to Canadian Tire(or even bringing it into a repair shop with the hope that I won't be charged labour even thought the warranty says otherwise). I am disappointed in the carb engineering in this respect.

From my research, the new Jiffy's (especially the model 30) may not operate well out-of-the-box and I think I just got lucky in the carb tuning process, but time will tell. I found a lot of internet postings from people who said that they had a lot of problems with the new model 30 "out-of-the-box".

I am confident now that I have a dependable auger.

Len
lenb12
Participant
Participant

Post by lenb12 »

I should also mention that running a tank of gas probably helped "break-in" the auger,as you guys suggested....Len
MJY25
Participant
Participant

Jiffy 30

Post by MJY25 »

I would like to buy a new carb for my Model 30 Jiffy ice auger? I can not find a place on line. Any ideas? MJY
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Jiffy 30

MJY25 wrote:I would like to buy a new carb for my Model 30 Jiffy ice auger? I can not find a place on line. Any ideas? MJY
Welcome to Fish-Hawk...

The guys below can order the part you want:

Benson Engine Marine. 34 Stafford Road, Nepean, ON K2H 8W1 Telephone : 613-828-4340
MJY25
Participant
Participant

Jiffy Model 30

Post by MJY25 »

Thanks for the address. MJY
kenc
Participant
Participant

Post by kenc »

This is a mystery all right. The www.jiffyonice.com site operating manual lists the fuel mix as 24:1. yet, when you read the FAQ it clearly states 40:1. I am as much in the dark as the rest. I have asked Jiffy to clarify this abnormality.
kenc
Participant
Participant

Jiffy Model 30 gas mixture

Post by kenc »

I visited the Jiffy site www.jiffyonice.com and find while the model 30 operating instructions state a 24:1 fuel mix and the model 30 itself has a label that says 24:1. the Web site FAQ states emphaitcally to use 40:1 mixture.
I have sent the web site an inquiry to strighthen this out and will respond when I get a reply.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

I've owned my Jiffy 30 for over 9yrs now and I'll stick to the 24:1 mix ratio.....I change the spark plug maybe every 2-3 yrs...why would i want to run a leaner mix and chance blowing a piston.... :shock: