convert to electric start

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
LouisD33
Participant
Participant

convert to electric start

Post by LouisD33 »

I have a 2004 40 hp mercury four stroke that I want to add an electric starter to.
It already has a charging system on it, and there is a place to bolt on the starter.
What do I need to do the job and how would I wire it up?

Also, would anyone have a starter for this unit?
MikaelaLinnea
Participant
Participant

Re: convert to electric start

Post by MikaelaLinnea »

Adding an electric starter to your 2004 40 hp Mercury four-stroke outboard is certainly feasible, given that it has a charging system and a mounting location for the starter. Here's what you'll need and how to wire it up:

**Materials/Parts Needed:**
1. Electric starter motor compatible with your Mercury outboard model.
2. Starter solenoid.
3. Wiring harness compatible with your outboard model.
4. Battery cables (positive and negative).
5. Mounting hardware for the starter motor.
6. Various connectors, terminals, and wire insulation (if not included in the wiring harness).

**Installation Steps:**
1. **Mount the Starter:** Bolt the electric starter motor onto the designated location on your outboard's engine block using the provided mounting hardware.

2. **Connect the Starter Solenoid:** Mount the starter solenoid nearby and connect it to the starter motor using the appropriate terminals.

3. **Wire the Solenoid to the Battery:** Connect the positive terminal of the battery to the input terminal of the starter solenoid. Connect the output terminal of the solenoid to the positive terminal of the starter motor.

4. **Connect the Ground:** Connect the negative terminal of the battery to the engine block or another suitable grounding point on the outboard.

5. **Wiring Harness Integration:** If your outboard already has a wiring harness in place for an electric starter, simply plug in the new components according to the wiring diagram provided with the harness.

6. **Test:** Before fully securing all connections, test the starter to ensure it engages properly and that all wiring is functioning correctly.

**Sourcing a Starter:**
To find a starter for your specific outboard model, you can try contacting Mercury Marine directly or checking with authorized Mercury dealers. Additionally, you might explore online marketplaces or marine parts retailers specializing in outboard motors.

Remember to consult your outboard's manual and wiring diagrams for specific instructions and compatibility information. If you're unsure about any step of the installation process, it's always wise to seek professional assistance to ensure safety and proper functionality.
LouisD33
Participant
Participant

Re: convert to electric start

Post by LouisD33 »

Thanks