Bonehead boat blunders

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Bonehead boat blunders

Post by CNs »

After my recent launch experience I thought maybe some of should share our most delightful boat moments.

I will start with the aforementioned missing boat plug and will add to it

1) forgot to release tie down straps
2) forgot to remove motor sticks (transom saver)
3) forgot PFD's
4) forgot keys
5) tried to load onto trailer with Tm down
6) tried to start boat without kill switch attached (motor won't fire) at busy dock.
7) pull boat out with motor all the way down. scraped the skeg (just a bit)
and the best one
First time I launched the boat, ran out of gas in front of hurst marina and the gas pumps were closed!

Can anyone add to this list???? Does not have to be strictly boat related.

Could be stepping out of boat into water instead of dock/land.
Forgetting TP and needing some.
dropping cell phone in lake
dropping car keys in lake
dropping car in lake with trailer attached
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Bonehead boat blunders

Post by Bass Addict »

CN wrote:

:D :D :oops: :roll: :oops: :oops:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
nanaposo
Participant
Participant

Post by nanaposo »

On my first attempt at taking my boat out of the water, I forgot to attach the trailer safety chain and did not lock the winch clip properly. After taking the boat out, I realized that the boat had back up a lot from the trailer and was just about to fall off... I guess I was really lucky... and I gave a great entertainment to the watchers at the Aylmer marina; I am sure the old folks who are spending their days there are still talking about it :-)

But now I am an expert at launching :-)
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Had the Talon down at the launch while I got the trailer. Forgot to raise it when I went to put the boat on the trailer. It makes a lot of noise when it's down and you're moving the boat. Unfortunately there was another boater there to point out my error. :oops:

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Launch boat, with 6 yo in it, and realizing at that incredible crucial moment of 'too @&$;($& late' that I did not attach my launch line.

Child who I love dearly, and my beloved boat are now slowly moving away from me!

Fortunately, was able to keep my head, and calmly explain where the paddle was, and explain how and where to paddle! He was a champ!
The best part, is he did NOT tell Momma!!!!

New addition to back of truck - pre launch check list!

Only a mistake, if you don't learn!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

Forgot to unstrap boat from trailer on a windy day. i backed in....trailer stayed a float....wind blew it parallel to the bank. While still hooked up to the car.

Also my brother decided not to hold onto the rope when launching it. He had to swim after the boat, while i parked.

And a few weeks ago as i pulled away from the ramp i realized i didn't have my licence on me, but thought since i hadn't seen a CO in over 15 years i should be OK. And sure enough a few hours later a CO showed up. He was nice called in my drivers licence to confirm I actually did have my licence and let me off with a verbal warning.
- Rick Ozga
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

#1 Getting boat ready just after ice out. Put the boat in the water to run the motor and get the fogging oil out. Had to go to work shortly, so in a rush. Not going anywhere so no equipment just a life jacket. Motor wouldn't start. Off shore wind. Before realizing the motor wasn't going to start, about 300 m off shore. Had to use the motor cover to paddle back to shore. Not fun.

#2 Late fall fishing, snowing out. Launched boat and forgot to tie the boat to the trailer. Strong off shore wind, boat drifting away. Wearing a floater suit, ran out into the water to grab the boat. Grabbed the boat but now the water is too deep to get footing. Floater suit too heavy and gunwale too high to climb into boat. Now drifted way off shore. After much pondering, worked my way to the stern and dropped the motor. Used the cavitation plate for a step to climb over the transom.

Haven't repeated either mistake.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Forgot to u strap one side of the boat and say there wondering why the boat was spinning in circles...
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

CN I remember meeting you on the river the first time you tried your boat out. You were sure glad seeing your old boat show up hey!!!!
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Wallyboss wrote:CN I remember meeting you on the river the first time you tried your boat out. You were sure glad seeing your old boat show up hey!!!!

Yes I sure was. :oops: saved a long TM Ride back to the launch
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Bass Addict wrote:
CN wrote:

:D :D :oops: :roll: :oops: :oops:

Paul, Paul, Paul... he said BLUNDER.

You did that on purpose each time!!