Boat lighting

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Boat lighting

Post by ShawnD »

I was thinking of adding some, maybe do some night fishing, from what I've read it's a blast and if you're well equipped it's even better.

I was thinking of some deck lights and maybe some lights on aswivel of in the rub rail.

http://www.bluewaterled.com/

Looks interesting.. I have no experience with them but they seem to be more affordable then the Rigid Industries lights.. :?: ;)
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Boat lighting

Post by Kerrazy »

The fact you live in Gatineau (blah,blah,blah Hull) and have not up fitted your boat with the standard pink or blue neon lights is frankly surprising. Is it not a right is passage or something?

Look at red or green spectrum to reduce eye strain. It is hard to see obstacles if your look at the deck of the boat and then to water surface for night hazards. Your pupils may not adjust quick enough and you know your self dead heads are something you constantly need to be watching for.
Kerrazy.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

Night fishing or early morning fishing is a blast. Nothing better than slow rollin a prop bait and listening to fish explode on it in the darkness.

Lights Look good, but personally i prefer as little light as possible in boat when fishing at night. I like to allow my eyes to adjust to the darkness. I have a head lamp that i use when i need to re-tie or hook up on a fish.
- Rick Ozga
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

So Dale is back! hahaha

I would go for a blue/white, these lights would only be on while fishing, not running and navigating..
They also sell the dimmer for these lights, for picture quality I believe they crank them up, but I don't think they actually use them at this intensity.

I can get more pictures, but they sell small led strips that light up your compartments and livewells.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Those lights look awesome! I'm looking to get something for my jon boat as well, I've had great walleye bites at night from shore i can only imagine how it would be if i found a better spot on the boat.
Cy
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

You need to be careful about using lights in Ontario

GENERAL PROHIBITIONS – IT IS ILLEGAL TO:

Use artificial lights to attract fish except:

to fish for smelt, or to fish for lake whitefish or lake herring with a dip net

if the light is part of a lure attached to a line used in angling.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

CN wrote:You need to be careful about using lights in Ontario

Thanks, but I wouldn't be using it for that purpose, I just want to see where I'm walking and see the shore line cover.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Kerrazy wrote:The fact you live in Gatineau (blah,blah,blah Hull) and have not up fitted your boat with the standard pink or blue neon lights is frankly surprising. Is it not a right is passage or something?...
Kerrazy.
It is a by-law. I dug it up from the City of Gatineau by-law office:

Translated from original document.

City of Gatineau by-law: 18.2006.09.554

"... whereas the citizen of incorporated Gatineau meets the following status:
a) The age of 16
b) First time grandmother or grandfather (see note i)
c) Tattoo artist in Masson
d) Grade 5 (see note ii)
e) Bellow the 12 tooth threshold.

18.2006.09.555 The said citizen must comply with the following guidelines for the accentuation and beautification of transportation devices:

a) Handlebars on 10 speed bicycle turned upside down OR spoiler on trunk.
b) Use the Guertin Formula for minimum car stereo wattage compliance. (See note iii)
c) Foo-foo lights on all licensed motor vehicles, watercraft, wheel chairs, walkers and baby strollers.
d) Leopard/Tiger/Cheetah/Zebra/Ostrich/Palomino/Trout/Alligator skin print car seat covers for all cougar transport. (see note iv)

Exclusions:
a) Harley Davidson Motorcycles within 5kms of a Tim-Horton's parking lot. (Please see 18.2001.23.121 "You Can Only Drive Back And Forth To A Tim-Horton's Parking Lot No Greater Than 5kms From Your Home If You Own A Harley Davidson Motorcycle" law, otherwise known as YCODBAFTATHPLNGT5KFYHIYOAHDM Law.
b) Block feral grocery carts.
c) Electric bicycles. (See note v)

Notes
18.2006.09.554 to 555 - 1
i - Both generation child support court orders required.
ii - Changed from grade 6 in the BassAddict amendment in 1978.
iii - Please have an immigrant calculate the following: (Car value in dollars X wheel diameter inches) X (Engine horsepower X Number of items hanging from rear view mirror) = Minimum legal stereo wattage.
iv - Cougar as defined as mamma after the 2nd divorce but before she retires from Tigre Geant.
v - Please see subset regulations regarding attire and comportment on an electric bicycle: 18.2012.06.45 "Dress Like A Member of The Sons Of Anarchy On An Electric Bike and Scowl" law.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

City folks get all the restrictions...

If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

cprince wrote:
Kerrazy wrote:The fact you live in Gatineau (blah,blah,blah Hull) and have not up fitted your boat with the standard pink or blue neon lights is frankly surprising. Is it not a right is passage or something?...
Kerrazy.
It is a by-law. I dug it up from the City of Gatineau by-law office:

Translated from original document.

City of Gatineau by-law: 18.2006.09.554

"... whereas the citizen of incorporated Gatineau meets the following status:
a) The age of 16
b) First time grandmother or grandfather (see note i)
c) Tattoo artist in Masson
d) Grade 5 (see note ii)
e) Bellow the 12 tooth threshold.

18.2006.09.555 The said citizen must comply with the following guidelines for the accentuation and beautification of transportation devices:

a) Handlebars on 10 speed bicycle turned upside down OR spoiler on trunk.
b) Use the Guertin Formula for minimum car stereo wattage compliance. (See note iii)
c) Foo-foo lights on all licensed motor vehicles, watercraft, wheel chairs, walkers and baby strollers.
d) Leopard/Tiger/Cheetah/Zebra/Ostrich/Palomino/Trout/Alligator skin print car seat covers for all cougar transport. (see note iv)

Exclusions:
a) Harley Davidson Motorcycles within 5kms of a Tim-Horton's parking lot. (Please see 18.2001.23.121 "You Can Only Drive Back And Forth To A Tim-Horton's Parking Lot No Greater Than 5kms From Your Home If You Own A Harley Davidson Motorcycle" law, otherwise known as YCODBAFTATHPLNGT5KFYHIYOAHDM Law.
b) Block feral grocery carts.
c) Electric bicycles. (See note v)

Notes
18.2006.09.554 to 555 - 1
i - Both generation child support court orders required.
ii - Changed from grade 6 in the BassAddict amendment in 1978.
iii - Please have an immigrant calculate the following: (Car value in dollars X wheel diameter inches) X (Engine horsepower X Number of items hanging from rear view mirror) = Minimum legal stereo wattage.
iv - Cougar as defined as mamma after the 2nd divorce but before she retires from Tigre Geant.
v - Please see subset regulations regarding attire and comportment on an electric bicycle: 18.2012.06.45 "Dress Like A Member of The Sons Of Anarchy On An Electric Bike and Scowl" law.
Fantastic LOL you owe me a keyboard cleaning!!!!!! Got some good distance with my coffee!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

ShawnD wrote:
CN wrote:You need to be careful about using lights in Ontario

Thanks, but I wouldn't be using it for that purpose, I just want to see where I'm walking and see the shore line cover.
Then why are you putting pink and blue neon lights on your boat?
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I always knew you would find a way to Gatineau up your boat. I had a buddy put red led's on his Noma Snow Racer when he was in his twenties so at least you have good reasoning.

It also almost made the JD with green lights underneath look practical.
Adam
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Oh Fish hawk you'll never change :lol: :lol:

Craig you've got too much time on your hands...

I'll be looking into lights next year.. With a morning like we have today, I believe summer's over :(
I want to fish at night a lot next year.
badbass72
Participant
Participant

Post by badbass72 »

I have the bluewaters on my deck, trailer and compartments despite not being from Quebec as well as an LED floodlight from Princess Auto beside my trolling motor and love them. Bought my first set in 2010 and every light is still working which is why I went back to them with the newer boat. May try some of their spotlights although a little pricey I have a feeling they will be brighter and more durable than what I have now. Worth their weight in gold for early season and late season fishing as that is mainly when I fish early and late enough to need them. If anyone is interested I will try grab some pictures before I store the boat.
Thanks to all my sponsors: Urban Ford, Urban Sport, Quick Lane Auto Care, Quantum, Strike King, Gourley's Outdoors, Goldwing Automotive, Amsoil, Canadian Tire Renfrew and Demonic Custom Tackle
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

badbass72 wrote:I have the bluewaters on my deck, trailer and compartments despite not being from Quebec as well as an LED floodlight from Princess Auto beside my trolling motor and love them. Bought my first set in 2010 and every light is still working which is why I went back to them with the newer boat. May try some of their spotlights although a little pricey I have a feeling they will be brighter and more durable than what I have now. Worth their weight in gold for early season and late season fishing as that is mainly when I fish early and late enough to need them. If anyone is interested I will try grab some pictures before I store the boat.

I'd love to see what you've done with your boats!
Thanks/