transom repair.

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
xRED
Participant
Participant

transom repair.

Post by xRED »

well it seems the ol lund has a rotted transom.
can see some screws pulling in.

Is there any where in ottawa area that replaces Lund Transoms?
I will check with the dealers around wondering if anyone else had
experience.
2014 LUND 1650 XL
90 Merc 4 Stroke
Elite 9Ti w/totalscan
80# Terrova
LMS-332C bow
lowerunit
Participant
Participant

Re: transom repair.

Post by lowerunit »

I helped my brother-in-law do his. Lund wanted $3000. to repair it. Not much cost in materials mostly labor, have to take it completely apart. We had to use a chainsaw very carefully to remove old plywood as it was water logged and hard to get out.
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

I've replaced a couple. Not too bad of a job. I used white oak for the replacement wood. Got it from a local mill. I cut it to size and then the mill planed it for me. Mine weren't wrapped in aluminum. If your is I would drill out the rivets or remove the screws. Use what's left of the old wood for a template. If you don't have a rivet gun, most boat dealers can rivet it for you, I wouldn't use pop rivets on a transom. Not saying you can't, but I wouldn't. You can get your seam caulking at a auto body shop supply store. I got mine from Benson's. Use stainless steel screws. Remember that pressure treated wood and aluminum don't mix.
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

I've replaced a couple. Not too bad of a job. I used white oak for the replacement wood. Got it from a local mill. I cut it to size and then the mill planed it for me. Mine weren't wrapped in aluminum. If your is I would drill out the rivets or remove the screws. Use what's left of the old wood for a template. If you don't have a rivet gun, most boat dealers can rivet it for you, I wouldn't use pop rivets on a transom. Not saying you can't, but I wouldn't. You can get your seam caulking at a auto body shop supply store. I got mine from Benson's. Use stainless steel screws. Remember that pressure treated wood and aluminum don't mix.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

Thanks for the info on the PT wood and aluminum! I'm replacing the transom on a 14ft tinny and was about to use PT wood for it...i'll use oak now