Hull repairs on my Tinny - Anyone do TIG welding?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Hull repairs on my Tinny - Anyone do TIG welding?

Post by campnfish »

I've got a 14ft springbok that has a bow leak that I would like to have welded / repaired. Doesn't have to be a pro job, just has to float. The spot to be welded might be 6-8" long at the most, right on the keel as it curves under the boat. Its a slow leak, not a gaping hole, but annoying nonetheless.

Does anyone do TIG welding or know someone who does? I can drive to wherever and I pay cash. That being said, I am also poor. I've checked a few of the local shops and I can't afford the prices they are quoting.

Thanks for the help,

CampnFish
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Hull repairs on my Tinny - Anyone do TIG welding?

Post by fishin mission »

try Keith's welding on power road ask for Keith he welded my boat and did an awesome job cheap
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

Will do man - Thanks!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Save your money if it's not that bad and use the aluminum patch sticks. Not the ones you knead. The one you use a torch to liquify and then spread into the crack. They usually come with a wire brush for prep work. I did the back corner of my 14ft that had a bad crease in it and it still doesn't leak. If you can't find that then J-B Weld make a Marine Weld that should be OK.

This looks like the stuff I used years back but Cabelas doesn't carry it anymore. It's a 3M product. http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/010655/ ... htm?page=5

Good luck with it. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter