Prop repair

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Prop repair

Post by Roblin »

I dinged my prop off my 40 hp. Scuffed up the tips and bent a little but not too bad. I asked my son-in-law to drop it off at Peter's Prop Repair in Belleville. Never used them before so I thought I'd try them. $169.00 for a repair and they send them out to a shop somewhere else. The prop new is only worth 100.00. I'm going to try the Prop Shop in Kingston. I had a Minn Kota warranty repair there last year. Took about 6 weeks which I wasn't happy about. He didn't want to order just my part from Minn Kota so he waited till he had a bunch of stuff to order to save on shipping. Does anyone know anyone else in the Kingston area who repairs props?
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Prop repair

Post by StarTzar »

Wow...... $169.00 (unless it's Stainless), is on the expensive side.
At that price, you may as well buy a new one.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

I went to the Prop Shop in Kingston to see what they wanted for the repair. $65.00 and they did it in an hour. I was expecting the dings to be ground out and a straighten and balance. Got the prop.. New metal added, straightened, balanced and painted. I was super impressed. The guy also told me that after market props don't work well on a 40 hp Honda. To do with the tailing edge of a Honda blade. Told me that when I need a new prop, to get a Honda or I'd be disappointed, which I'm glad to know. I have to say I was super, super impressed and I'm going back with my spare.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Wow... :shock: that is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than the $169.00 ... and within an hour. 8)
I owned a 40HP Honda and I remember being told the same thing about the prop.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
refteck
Participant
Participant

Post by refteck »

This spring I stopped in at the prop shop had a discussion about what I didn't like about my old damaged prop and he made me a offer, I upgraded to a new four blade prop for $100 and my old prop as a exchange, if I didn't like the new one I could return it for my old repaired prop and the cash and it would only cost me $60 for the repair. Excellent service!
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Last week I got my prop hit by a rock in Ottawa river too and I brought it to Marc Marine shop in Gatineau side, cost me $62 but need a week to get it back. No fishing for the whole week! I was playing the new HB 598CI side imaging fish finder and not aware the rock!