navionics

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

navionics

Post by tbone1088 »

hi guys,
my uncle has a car gps that I believe is a portable unit, and I was wondering what we would need to do to get it to show lakes and rivers? Navionics chips seem to be what everyone buys, but do they work in any old gps, or only specific models? Also, we only really want 2 or 3 maps, one of them being shirleys bay, so do we have to buy a whole bundle package to get only those maps, or can I download them somewhere for free?
Scaini33
Participant
Participant

Post by Scaini33 »

If its a garmin, then try www.ibycus.com. I got my map for my garmin off this site and its awesome and best of all its FREE!
fishboch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishboch »

But this is only topo data not hydrographic data. It may show me how to get to some backwoods lakes but I think what Tbone is looking for is lake contour information. So again the question is if I put a Navionics chip into my Garmin car GPS will it recognize it and will it now function like your GPS on your boat ? I think it should but I haven't tried it either. It would be great for icefishing and save me from buying another GPS just for that.
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

I believe the answer is NO...it will not work. The only 'car' gps unit that i heard of accepting navionics brand of chip was a unit made by Lowrance the XOG...and some of the Lowrance iMap units.
Shepherd
Participant
Participant

Post by Shepherd »

First off, Garmin does not support Navionics. Garmin uses their own software, Bluechart G2. This can be purchased via CD or downloaded. Once it is on your computer you will be provided an unlock code and will be able to unlock a very specific set of maps which you will be able to transfer via cable to your portable Garmin unit. If you would like more maps then you will have to pay for more unlock codes. A Lowrance portable GPS unit such as the H2O has the ability to insert sd cards from Navionics and yes you will have to determine which maps you would like. If you go to the Navionics website they have all of the selections there. Radioworld.ca has all the GPS units and maps that you can compare and get more info. Good Luck with your search.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

The Navionics "chip" (it's an SD card) only works in Humminbird and Lowrance fishfinders and Lowrance handheld GPS units.

Garmin has their own marine maps.

But if you have an iPhone, you can put the Navionics maps on it. I did this a few weeks ago and it's pretty cool. See here for more info.....

http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic.php?t=42657

HTH,
Doug
fishboch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishboch »

Thanks for the responses. I kind of figured this would be the answer. :(
I have an iPod Touch but not an iPhone so I'm out of luck there too. :cry:
Oh well someday soon they will come out with a cheap all in one device.
I know I can upgrade my cellphone but at the moment for the amount I use it I can't justify paying those crazy monthly fees for the few times I may want to use it on the ice.

Thanks again.
Shepherd
Participant
Participant

Post by Shepherd »

Just to add to my previous post. I won a Garmin Nuvi 550 from OFAH last year and because I already have a Garmin portable and the Bluechart G2. I was able to download the marine maps onto 3 garmin devices with one unlock code so I downloaded it onto the Nuvi 550. I don't know if any other Nuvi models have this ability but it works on the 550. I also have an Iphone and the Navionics app is incredible. The only downfall I have seen so far is that the Bay of Quinte is in meters instead of feet but I heard that they are working on an update to fix this. GPS technology is getting better all the time.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

I have a lowrance x67 ice machine, do they sell an addon that would fit with that unit thats gps ? If not, whats the cheapest portable on the market