Kicker vs electric bow mount

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Wrexxer
Participant
Participant

Kicker vs electric bow mount

Post by Wrexxer »

I currently have a 52 lbs motorguide bow mounted to my boat but it is the type of motor that mechanically turns from side to side and is not turned by motor. Wich means when used for trolling my feet has to be on 100% of the time, this setup works well when bass fishing but not for trolling.

now on my 17.5 the suzuki 140hp pushes it way too quickly to troll. So I need a Trolling solution so I have narrowed it down to 2 option:

-get a kicker motor 4hp to 9.9hp and keep my electric motor
-get an electric motor like minn Kota with a better piloting system and upgrade to a 2 battery system

Would it be worth it considering a trolling plate?? seems like the cheapest option but I'm not sure if it will slow me down enough...plus I'm not a fan of drilling holes in bottom part of the motor...

curious to get opinions and experiences, Anyone trolling 100% on electric motor?

I have tried drift socks, they slow me down but they are a pain to drive.

Thanks
If you ain't snagging...you ain't tryin
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Get yourself a kicker and you'll be happy!....why drill holes into your motor for the trolling plate and why chance fouling your plugs on your 140HP??

You never have to worry about batteries going dead or re-charging and you can tie the fuel line of the kicker into the main line..if you do decide on a kicker, make sure it has a built in charging system so that you can run your electronics all day and not worry about draining your cranking battery
Astro-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Astro-Mike »

Minn Kota also makes a engine mount trolling motor.

M
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

I do all of my trolling with my Minn Kota Power Drive I-Pilot and have no complaints. Trolling hands free on a previously recorded course allows you to focus on netting fish.

no complaints so far
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

I also have a 140Hp Johnson 4st (Suzuki) on my boat and a 9.9 Hp 4st kicker as well as a bow mounted Min-Kota. I troll a lot, and would not be without my 9.9 - put over twice as many hours on it last year as the big motor. The 9.9 was a great investment - I can troll as slow as I want, easy on fuel, and not near the frustrations.
Wrexxer
Participant
Participant

Post by Wrexxer »

I' m thinking the kicker is the way to go as well...I'll be on the market for a good deal on a four stroke kicker hehehhehe....

thanks guys
If you ain't snagging...you ain't tryin
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

I run a motorguide 24 volt on the bow,those batteries never drain down,and a motorguide wireless 55 lb beside the merc xr4,that motor is easy on the battery also, and both trollers will leave a wake behind the 18' Cajun bassboat,if the old 24 volt ever dies all you need is another quick mount plate and the wireless can run either end of the boat. I have fished with gas kickers but it depends on your boat style,they suck on a bassboat but are better suited to a walleye or tracker kind of boat