18hp fastwin has fuel and oil leaking from lower unit

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Weekender
Participant
Participant

18hp fastwin has fuel and oil leaking from lower unit

Post by Weekender »

i recently bought a 1961 crstliner with a 1970 18 hp fastwin. i got it running good but when im running it in a barrel i noticed that the top of the water has a film on it that smells like fuel. is this something i need to worry about? also when dry it appears to have oil leaking from the seal just above the prop. Please let me know what you think
Haybay Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haybay Larry »

The older motors were not very efficient so they would not burn all the gass that runs through them.It's nothing to worry about. Also the seal above the prop may be lower unit lube. I would check the lower unit to be sure it is full of lube and checking the screw gaskets, they may have deteriorated.
...Larry
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

If you are concerned, have it tuned up. Remember though, it will be hard to find parts for an engine that old. Standard oils and lubes etc... are available.
Try and find someone legit who will look at the engine.
The older motors were not very efficient so they would not burn all the gas that runs through them.It's nothing to worry about. Also the seal above the prop may be lower unit lube. I would check the lower unit to be sure it is full of lube and checking the screw gaskets, they may have deteriorated.
...Larry
Probably exhaust - natural for that age
i recently bought a 1961 crstliner with a 1970 18 hp fastwin. i got it running good but when im running it in a barrel i noticed that the top of the water has a film on it that smells like fuel. is this something i need to worry about? also when dry it appears to have oil leaking from the seal just above the prop. Please let me know what you think
Yes, that is the lube gear seals. You should have it checked for proper lube. That will be crucial in the long run.

Hope this helps.
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Daner wrote:If you are concerned, have it tuned up. Remember though, it will be hard to find parts for an engine that old.
:shock:

YIKES!!

I have two of these engines and parts are a dime a dozen Dane. You would think that they are hard to get, but they are not. These engines were SO popular and the parts are interchangeable over a wide HP range over many years ANY Johnny-Rude parts store, on-line or in the middle of nowhere, either has the parts you are looking for or can order them in quickly.

@Weekender
I would get a carb rebuild kit:
Sierra Part # 18-7222 online price - $20.25

Check all the gas line fittings clip things... Change the O rings on the gas line that comes from the gas tank.

And get a lower unit seal rebuild kit.
Sierra Part # 18-2684 online price - $18.05

I mention Sierra as a company because they seem to be the most popular aftermarket supplier of parts and as far as I know, the most readily available.

I bought all my parts on-line rather than deal with any marina :roll: I used marinemanifold.com who are based in BC but shipped to me from somewhere in central Ontario and I had my parts within 2 business days.

If you are too unsure about what you are doing, or not comfortable with your abilities, take your parts and motor to a local reputable shop.

Craig
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Thanks Craig, I stand corrected! :oops:
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Daner wrote:Thanks Craig, I stand corrected! :oops:
All good Dane... I made the same assumption before I got into the 18 hp 'Rudes... I liked the weight to HP ratio, but held off because I did not want to get stuck with a motor I could not get parts for. It took some research for me to figure out that parts for these engines were everywhere, and they are often describe as bullet proof because of, among other things, their electrical system; Solid state and not electronic.

Good motor for the aspiring backyard mechanic to learn on too!

Craig