RU buying a new boat? BRAND PRO vs CONS

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

RU buying a new boat? BRAND PRO vs CONS

Post by 1lastcast »

Like so many of you hard working people. I made the big boat purchase in spring of 2007. I saved a few pennies and bit the bullet in making a very large boat purchase. She was to be the do all boat. Everything from fishing the big lake Ontario. To pulling the kids around on a tub.

My wife and I went to all the shows and dealers around town. Even travelled as far as Toronto to take in a few shows. We decided to purchase a Canadian made LEGEND XCAL 18'.

The boat fitt the bill. many great family friendly options. hull lifetime warrenty. many extras. ie. full stand up top, fishfinder, radio, tie downs.

Motor needed to be upgraded as the package deal 50HP was just to small!!! Always go min 75% of the boats motor max capacity. I upgraded to a 115HP OPtimax (2 stroke). Its lighter then a 4 stroke cheaper and provides more hole shot.

Now my boat is going on her 3rd season. I fish mostly weekends from ICE to ICE on Lake Ontario and during the summer I spend most weekends fishing a local smaller lake for Bass.

Now the point of this post is to share with everyone the pros and cons of your boat (brand). Let me start :)
  • 2007 LEGEND 18XCAL 115 OPTIMAX

CONS:
    -Fastners become lose!!! everything from the windsheild to the floor mounted seat bases are fixed with SS wood screws :evil: Im replacing each and everyone with nuts and bolts.
    -No electrical panel. makes installing new electronics fun. I added one under the dash along with fuses.
    -No Access panels to run wires. everything is very very hard to access!!!
    -Bilge Pump is manual only! Very cheap!
    -Fuel Tank fill location is just plain stupid! Its located in the splash well on the very back of the boat. This location is always wet. with water over top of the cap at times. It also makes filling hard on the water and on the trailer. place it along side the boat like other builders!!!!
    -In floor Rod locker is always slimy? I dont even like using it. But paid $500 extra for it :evil:
    -Steering is very stiff. GO WITH UPGRADED HYD. steering next time! I was not offered this from the dealer???
    -Trailer fenders are plastic. I had a blow out and now the fender is junk! $85 to replace
    -Glove box storage is not water proof.
    -Cover snaps always pull out of the canvas. Im constantly replacing the snaps.
    -Cover does not fulling keep water and dirt from spilling into the boat when stored. It collects along the windsheild area and runs into the boat? Always stained and dirty along the carpeting in that spot.

PROS:

-PRICE. very good and forward pricing. no salesmen amping up the costs!
    -HULL thickness. SO far so good. all welded no leaks.
    -Folding rear deck and paded bow area. nice for the family
    -MADE IN CANADA!
    For the most part im Happy with my boat. It seems every company from vehicles to TV sets is always finding ways to save a buck and build it cheaper. Its up to us the consumers to find the best for our money. Are all the cons I listed a general problem on boats? lets find out! Next time the salesmen is telling you that the seats are made of plastic so they dont rot. Ask him/her if the bases are bolted or screwed to the floor. lol.

LIVE AND LEARN! :D
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
    HaZarD
    Bronze Participant
    Bronze Participant

Post by HaZarD »

Thinking of going Legend myself but probably just the 16 Prosport SC or the 151 angler. I like their boats. Alumacraft is reasonable as well.
    horsehunter
    Bronze Participant
    Bronze Participant

Post by horsehunter »

The Legend hull is made in Indiana by the same people that make Smokercraft and Sylvan the interiors are done in Canada.
    I love golf it keeps thousands of unworthy off the water
    Dan Smyth
    Bronze Participant
    Bronze Participant

Post by Dan Smyth »

I suppose that boats are like cars in the sense that a lot of buyers are dedicated to a certain maker for whatever reason. My personal history with boats is varied (due in part to age).
    I have owned a Carver tri hull fibreglass, a Misty River 16' aluminum side console, a LUND 16'aluminum adventurer and now am the proud owner of a 19' Grady White fibreglass.
    The LUND was the first new boat that I bought. Bought it 10 years ago and the purchase was an interesting story.
    I was doing a lot of fishing out of Lancaster at the time and was always looking at the selection of Lunds at Raisin River Marina. Finally had looked long enough and made the plunge. Went through all the shopping catalogues and put the package together and BAM the dealer told me to go home. She said she would not sell me the boat until I had done more research and shopped around and made comparisons to other packages. She said that she knew that I knew what I wanted and had enough knowledge of boats and motors that I would find my way back to her. WOW!!! she had confidence in her product. She was right. I looked at many different types of boats and engine packages and found the Lund met all my requirements better than the rest. The Lund name obviously meant a bit more money but the quality in manufacturing was worth it in my opinion.
    Well ten years later the boat was still going strong and the Evinrude 90 HP was absolutely trouble free for the entire time. Only problems with this package were self inflicted such as stumps ice etc.
    My point being that a major financial investment for a boat has got to be for the long run and the extra dollars for a proven product usually proves out in the end to be money well spent. Mine certainly was.
    I sold her yesterday to make room for the new one and I did feel a moment of sadness remembering all the fantastic trips we had made together.
    I am hoping the new boat and I get along as well as the Lund and I did.
    tombiosis
    Participant
    Participant

Post by tombiosis »

Gotta luv a lund!
    Billy Dee
    Participant
    Participant

Post by Billy Dee »

About 4 years ago I purchased a 16’ Starcraft runabout. It’s a 1967 model. The previous owner did not take very good care of it and it is a quite battered and weathered, but amazingly it doesn’t leak a drop. I can’t speak to other manufacturer’s products cuz I’ve never owned them. But if Starcraft still makes their product to the standards of my ’67, I’d say get one.
    Mr.J.
    Gold Participant
    Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

My 2 cents

I own a Legend 18Xcalibur

Sure there are some things that could be better

Will I dislike my boat because of the cover? NO!

Would I dislike my bott if it DID NOT have so much storage? Perhaps.

I was going to do along reply but I think I will just go right to my point

I LOVE MY BOAT

I shopped and looked at many boats. I also was very fortunate to have fished in other peoples boats.

All had good points and all had bad points.

The Legend 18Xcalibur is perfect for me regardless of some small things I wish could be improved upon. All boats have something good about them and something that may make you scratch your head.

Do I wish it had real 8 foot rod lockers? You bet but how many boats do not have any rod lockers?

Would I still have bought this boat even though the cover sucks? You bet I would.

All of your list is small things that all boats have. Ok so lets say the glove box was water proof but the casting deck was too small? Ok lets say the bildge pump was auto but the rear casting deck and rear seats were too small?

Trust me...spend a day in other model boats and be just as critical and you may just find yourself with a great big smile on your face.

I love my boat :D

P.S. This post is not meant to be anything but usefull and in no way meant to be negative to you or anyone else in any manner.Post like this are a great resource to everyone and desirves all points of view.

P.P.S. I LOVE MY BOAT.
    HaZarD
    Bronze Participant
    Bronze Participant

Post by HaZarD »

Would love a lund if I could afford it. Legend is really nice too. Been in a couple of em.

Just lookin for a decent $10k boat roughly and will probably go new with a floor on it not just plain jane. Side console, trolling motor, livewell and storage. AND SEATS! being my size isnt good for flat arse hard seat.. not comfy at all.
    horsehunter
    Bronze Participant
    Bronze Participant

Post by horsehunter »

I have a 25 year old Tracker Tournament 17.5 It doesn't leak a drop and after looking at boats all winter I think I will get it recarpeted ( possibly vinel) and repainted and put a 4 stroke on it. I havent found anything I like as well.

Though in november a high windshield and a stand up top would be welcome I guess one boat cant be all things.
    moonshine
    Bronze Participant
    Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

There is something to be said about older boats. I think they were made better for a while. I have a '92 Pro 169 with a 50 4stroke and I love it. And yes HH, a vinyl floor would be awesome, thats my aim for next year
    SkeeterJohn
    Diamond Participant
    Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I know of 3 legends that have had cracked hulls due to bad design. That's enough for me to suggest you look elsewhere. I think princecraft's are put together a bit better and that would be my choice.
    horsehunter
    Bronze Participant
    Bronze Participant

Post by horsehunter »

I helped a friend put bracing under the front casting deck of a 3 yeas old Princecraft (60 thousand dollar outfit). What I saw made me decide To keep my old boat. He didn't send it to the factory because he guides and didn't know how long it would be away. Another friend had 3 rivets fall out of a new Sylvan and had to have it sent back to Indiana over the winter.

I guess every mfg. makes the odd lemon
    SkeeterJohn
    Diamond Participant
    Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Yes they do but some make more than others.
    HaZarD
    Bronze Participant
    Bronze Participant

Post by HaZarD »

Tracker Pro 16 with the 30 ELPT 4 Stroke $11,000
    Dan Smyth
    Bronze Participant
    Bronze Participant

Post by Dan Smyth »

Well I can attest to the fact that my Lund went to places and down roads that it probably should not have for 10 years and not one leak or loose rivet. She had a few dents and was certainly well sandblasted by gravel but was as sound when I sold her as she was when I picked her up. I replaced some plywood on the floor but again that was due to my lack of indoor storage for a couple of years. I got the boat the EX got the garage ha ha. Can't blame the boat for my love life.