Minn Kota Powerdrive 45lb thrust

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
solar
Participant
Participant

Minn Kota Powerdrive 45lb thrust

Post by solar »

After a bunch of research, I went with the Minn Kota V2 Powerdrive, 45 lb thrust. I was out the other day, and found this unit moved myself and a friend, both big guys, with lots of equipment on a 14' V-hull boat. It was calm on the water, and we held at 2 knots trolling speed with no problems.

As I've seen reported in other posts and venues, the digital steering is a bit sensitive, and just takes a bit of practice getting used to. I like the momentary and constant propulsion modes, the constant for covering open water and the other for just inching in close to the rocks. Also, getting the shaft back up into transporting position takes a bit of practice.

These two things aside, we were out for about 5 hours and only used a quarter of my 12 volt battery. We'll see how well the unit endures, but after being out on the water, I have no major issues and would recommend the same to someone in the market.

Best,

Chris
horsehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by horsehunter »

give the shaft a coat of armerol (sp) to make it easier to stow and deploy
I love golf it keeps thousands of unworthy off the water