hitch // tow bar question

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

hitch // tow bar question

Post by Mick »

Hey Guys

I just bought a new vehicle that came equipped with a trailer package. I had to go out and buy the two bar and ball. On my previous vehicle, the tow bar fit was a very snug fit into the hitch. I had to use wd 40 to get it in in the spring and out in the fall. This new one is actually a bit loose. It seems to me that the two bar is maybe 2 millimeters smaller horizontally than the hitch it is fitting into (it is the right size unit). I've got limited experience here - is this amount of play an issue? My only previous experience was with the old one and it was very very snug.

Appreciate your thoughts

Mick
miker
Participant
Participant

Post by miker »

mine was a little loose as well...from what I know at least, there is no safety concern around this...but it can cause a bit of a rattle when not towing something. I wrapped the draw bar with a bit of gorilla tape to snug up the fit, and stop the rattle.
mblaney
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mblaney »

I would rather loose than too tight. Your old one might have rusted on so bad that it would never come off. A little play is ok (yours sounds about right), proper tongue weight should prevent most rattling.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

i have a 2" receiver and when i put the ball part in it's loose also so no worries i towed a boat the other day and not one issue ,,,,,,,like someone said better a little loose that super tight,,,,,,,,,,tow away buddy !!
solar
Participant
Participant

Post by solar »

Mine is a bit loose as well, but after changing out the position of the tongue so that the trailer sits a tad higher, a lot of the rattling on the road has disappeared. Better the tongue bar is a wee bit loose, easier to remove.