Opinions on my new (to me) boat

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
solar
Participant
Participant

Opinions on my new (to me) boat

Post by solar »

Hello all:

I finally got my boat, after much searching, a 2001 Lowe Sea Nymph, AN140S with a power tilt 35 HP Johnson 2 stroke. I bought it from a colleague at work who was the original owner, bought from G&G Lalonde Small Engines in Orleans (no longer in business I believe). The vendor reckons he's only had it on the water about 35-40 times since he's had it.

Its 14', with .064 gauge aluminum in a deep V hull, 67" beam, carpeted floors, raised casting deck, console, aerated livewell, bilge pump, locking storage, with a Lowe trailer. I couldn't find a mark on the trailer or motor (inside and out), and only a small scuff on the hull, all apears in order.

I have tried Googling Sea Nymph, since I didn't know too much about the Lowe brand when this boat came up. I haven't been able to find out too much about the Sea Nymph (nice name... :? ) on the net.

In my hunt for a new/used boat, I had been thinking Legend, since the hull material is .100 gauge vs the .064 I have on this boat, and I've read internet posts about lighter boats being pounded loose on the Great Lakes, etc, but since I don't plan to fish for cod 200 miles off the coast of Newfoundland :wink: I hope this make and model will give some years of solid service.

So my question is, does anyone have any opinions on this make and model? If I can ever figure out how to post pictures on this site, I'll put a few up.

Best,

Chris
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Seabass81 »

I have seen quite a few sea nymph's . Most have looked like they where well made. Sounds like a nice boat for sure and with that motor she will rock !

John
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

My first boat was an angler 140T (Tiller) that boat would run at 28 mph with a 30 merc 4 stroke.

Its a nice boat for smaller waters but it was tippy. Not much storage for tackle and gear. Again for smaller bodies of water with little boat traffic its a nice boat.

If it is a choice between this and a legend 151 I would take the Lowe.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

I am fishing out of a similar set setup 1996 Lund Rebel 14' with a 30 hp merc, casting deck, aerated live well with console, Minn Kota 55lb thrust I-Pilot, and 2 Humminbirds. Top speed with 2 men in the boat is about 25 mph and slowest trolling speed is about 2 mph at idle.

The great advantage of the 14' over a 16' or larger, is that you can launch it almost anywhere, and get into shallow bays. I only need 2' feet of water with the motor trimmed up.

They are a great one man setup, 2 is ok, 3 rock the boat.

Only down fall is that you really need to watch for the wind picking up and producing white caps, you will get wet.

Enjoy your new to you ride.
solar
Participant
Participant

Post by solar »

Thanks for the info gents. Roger that MLR, about the ease of one-man use with the smaller boat. Since it'll be just me most days, the smaller boat would be easier to launch and recover I figure. I'll be keeping it to smaller lakes and rivers, but your point about the whitecaps is well taken, because even on the smaller lakes, the wind will pick up even on the calm sunny days.

Any experience here with mounting fishfinders? This rig is lacking a fishfinder and a trolling motor; there's an auxilliary power outlet at the bow which would accommodate the trolling motor, but if I mount a fishfinder by the console, I might want to opt for battery powered instead of trying to wire in the finder to the boat's power supply. Also, how tricky is it to get the transducer puck mounted on the transom of the boat?
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by waynerb66 »

I can personally vouch for the whitecaps comment. My boat is deep and wide, but I still get wet. The lake is usually not a problem. It is when I fish on the Ottawa on Lac Duchesne. The wind really whips up pretty quick there. I remember last year I left the marina and it didn't look that bad. By the time I got to the middle I was being tossed around pretty good. I ended up turning around and going back to shore.