Loose Screws????

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Loose Screws????

Post by 1lastcast »

Hey guys.

I need some help in fixing my lose seat mount bases?

Im not sure why a boat builder would fasten seat mounts with only wood screws? I think already now the answer :roll:

Problem is the existing stainless wood screws are only fastened to the boats plywood flooring. They seem to come lose in a few hours of use. I know the best fix would be use bolts. In a perfect world that would work. But I have now way to get to the underside of each screw to mount a nut in its place? Im thinking maybe some type of fastner used for hollow walls? Anyone else run into this problem? Im looking for any suggestions.

BTW - Boat is a 07' Legend xcal.
"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

Anyone use TOGGLER fastners before? I think this is the best way to go?
"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Legends are terrible for screws coming loose, either by wave action or rough roads. I had a severe problem with all of the screws on the boat coming up and even with loctite they would not stay screwed. I finally got fed up with the customer service or lace there of and I made the dealer take it back.

Not sure why they do that or what you can do to prevent it from happenening again.
Good luck
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

I noticed most everything else on the boat is bolted?
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Thats a significant improvement over the one I had. It was 6 years ago and it was a v-151 sport
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

While I haven't had any problems with loose screws on my seat bases, floor screws, seat screws, window screws, and just about anyplace else all seem to vibrate loose after a season of pounding water. I usually spend a full day when my boat comes out of storage each spring doing a thorough cleaning and retightening every screw I can find.
Piker
Participant
Participant

Post by Piker »

Yeah, Snaptoggle will do the trick. You probably need the 1/4X20 size, which you can get without the bolts so you can use your own stainless steel hardware.
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

If there is no way at all of getting under and you don't try toggle bolts, try this stuff as it is great for many types of fixes. I know I've used it for loose screws over the years as well as other fixes and works great ---- not sure about a seat base but never know. Should find it at Cdn Tire

http://www.starbrite.com/productdetail. ... at=Epoxies
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

A lot of boats on the river last weekend, that had loose nuts behind the wheel!!!!
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Wallyboss wrote:A lot of boats on the river last weekend, that had loose nuts behind the wheel!!!!

Not just the weekend Dan!
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

Thanks guys. I just placed a order here in ktown from Fastners. 12 stainless steel snap toggler bolts for just over $55. I will post a few photos of the install and report back with the results.

I did notice that the bow and stern seat bases are bolted :lol:

http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

I think this should fix the loose seat issue for good. A few photos of the simple install.

The only problem I had with this system is that the foam under the floor was preventing the toggle bolts from seating flat on the underside of the floor. I was able to remove some of the foam.

Total cost for 12 toggle bolts in Stainless steel was just over $80. Purchased as FASTENAL.

Image[/img]
Bitsmith2k
Participant
Participant

Post by Bitsmith2k »

thats how i did mine.. they work brilliantly..
Piker
Participant
Participant

Post by Piker »

An excellent repair done in a very workmanlike fashion. Really good instructional photography as well. Congratulations.