Charging a deep cycle battery

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Charging a deep cycle battery

Post by gonefishin »

Hi Everyone,

I did a search and have seen many opinions on charging a deep cycle but I had one question I was hoping to get opinions on. Once the battery is depleted somewhat do you guys recharge at higher rate of 6amps or do you recharge it only using 2amps?. Normally I recharge the battery at 6amps until it is about 75% of the way done and then let it finish at 2amps.

Any feedback is appreciated.
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

IMHO

Always best to charge a battery as slow as possible. HEAT is the enemy of batteries. The slower the charge rate, the less heat will be created.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Should have no issues with charging at 6 amps ....

6 amps is still on the low side of things
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

I have a minkota charger. Its is rather simple. I hook up the battery, plug it in and turn it on. Its a 10amp charger.

I do this whenever I'm between uses (1 time a day). I will charge it overnight, then in the morning I put it in the boat and use it.

Not sure if this is correct but its just what I do. I seem to get reasonable life out of my batteries. As long as I remember to check the fluid levels.
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gonefishin »

Thanks for the input guys