Boat slip or Trailer?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Teddy
Participant
Participant

Boat slip or Trailer?

Post by Teddy »

I just moved up from my leaky 12 foot pop can after 10 years of fishing with prune feet, and bought a new boat. The question I have is, is keeping your boat in a boat slip too hard on the boat? I have talked to some people that won't rent a slip because they say leaving the boat in the water is hard on it. Wouldn't putting it on and off of a trailer a hundred times a year be hard on it too? Any help would be great. Thanks.
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

Its all choice and cost.

For me I load mine on the trailer all the time since I only get to use it a couple weekends a month. However I know I will be at the cottage again the next week I leave it in the water.

My concern is more about it still being there when I leave it in the water then the wear on the boat. With a good mooring cover, bumpers and when tied off correctly the only problem you get is the algei build up.
Teddy
Participant
Participant

Post by Teddy »

Thanks. I looked at the cost and the trailer doesn't look so bad. Plus I would have to take the batteries out to charge them all the time.
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jwhite »

Teddy wrote:Plus I would have to take the batteries out to charge them all the time.
Why? Most marinas offer electrical service.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

If you leave it in the water you might have to check the corrosion tab on your motor more often than a boat that is brought up out of the water.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again