Warning Buzzer

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
jake
Participant
Participant

Warning Buzzer

Post by jake »

I was wondering if anyone may have a answer for me; I took out my new boat I just got for the first time (2006 Lowe 185 135 Merc Optimax) on the Ottawa last night everything was running great until I hit about 30mph or 4200rpms. Then a buzzer went off from the the side console when I tried to accelerate but would go off when I let off on the throtle by just a hair. Any thoughts?

Thanks
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

What does the manual say?
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

1. Check your oil tank, if you are close to 1/4 full the sloshing of the oil can set the sensor off.
2. If you are not getting good water pressure through the engine an alarm will go off. Is your engine pee pee water well at mid RPM? You may have sucked in some weeds and partially plugged the intake.

JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gonefishin »

I just purchased a used merc (not optimax) and the manual said my merc has a buzzer (horn) for over temp alert as well as for over reving. Not sure if it's the same for an optimax.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

There is a section about warning buzzers here:
http://www.mercurymarine.com/serviceand ... ptimax.php

I'd be checking out your owners manual and calling your dealer. I'd get this sorted out before operating it again.

As a thought, how full is your oil reservior?

Good luck,
DropShot'r
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

I second the idea to check you oil tank. Make sure its got lots of oil. I had that happen with my Evinrude. When I would start bouncing the boat around the alarm would sound. Turned out it was just the oil sloshing around. As so as I topped it up no problem.

On your console when you hear the alarm is there not a lighting system Should show you if its overheat, oil etc. Might have to cover the lights in bright sun to see which one lights up.
jake
Participant
Participant

Post by jake »

Thanks for the suggestions. I am pretty sure it is a overheating issue I through in a gallon of oil to top it off before I left home. The buzzer was a constant one if I held the speed I was doing with out backing off. I don't have a manual yet but will order one on Monday. Going to check the water temp thats pee pee out the motor to see if burning hot or not today. For the Valley boys/ Ottawa has anyone tried White Lk Marina, I believe it is the closest merc dealer around
Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Terry_F »

jake wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I am pretty sure it is a overheating issue I through in a gallon of oil to top it off before I left home. The buzzer was a constant one if I held the speed I was doing with out backing off. I don't have a manual yet but will order one on Monday. Going to check the water temp thats pee pee out the motor to see if burning hot or not today. For the Valley boys/ Ottawa has anyone tried White Lk Marina, I believe it is the closest merc dealer around
I took my 14' Lund with 30HP Merc there for years and always had excellent service.
99 Princecraft 176
98 115 Johnson Ficht
VHF Call terry f 316014005
NPAA 537
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

I've taken different boats there for service, always top notch. (Always Mercs as well) :wink:

Now they were just bought out last fall, not sure if new owners kept the existing staff or not. :? But if they did, I'm sure you'll be fine. :D
jcuts9
Participant
Participant

alarm

Post by jcuts9 »

Also check your water collector, it may be full. Mine did that to me 2 yrs ago and it was full. All the ethonol now is making for problems
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

Jake

if your buzzer sound is intermittent you have a problem but nothing major

a continuous buzzer is a more significant problem and you don't want to be running that engine until you sort it out.

You might check out Michael Lynch Staunton of MLS Small Engine repair, he is well regarded by hte folks on this board.

Mick
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Jake

This sounds like a thermostat issue. Try to remove your thermostat(s) and see if they are being blocked by any debris.