Small Outboard Lower Unit Lubricant

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
worm31
Participant
Participant

Small Outboard Lower Unit Lubricant

Post by worm31 »

Hey,

Just wondering what the members of fish-hawk use for lower unit lubricant in their small outboards? I have a 5hp Honda that should be changed before the spring.

Thanks, Ian
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I use Merc gear oil . But if you store your motor in unheated garage you should do it in the Fall
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

don't use cheap oil

Post by mikemicropterus »

:D The cost of gearcase far outwieghs the cost of GOOD gear oil..I use a synthetic blend that is comparable to merc and BRP high performance oil...It will give you better protection ot watre intrusion better than what honda recommends for oil.....A gearcase is not an area that you need to neglect nor use cheaper brands of oil...Change it once per season if you do less than 50 hours with OEM oil but on synthetic you can go for 100 hours... :wink:
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Wallyboss wrote:I use Merc gear oil . But if you store your motor in unheated garage you should do it in the Fall
Listen to the boss on this one.....

waiting until spring can be too much too late if water made it into the lower unit last summer.The water will freeze and break stuff.

For the few dollars that it costs to change your lower unit oil, even with exspenvise top quality oil, it is a bargin comared to repairing or replacing the unit.