Trolling Motor Question

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Trolling Motor Question

Post by Billy Bones »

How much thrust would I need for an 18 foot Starcraft.

Thanks
Billy Bones
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

as much as you can afford Bill :) Your boat has pretty high sides....will be affected by the wind a fair bit. I'm sure others will chime in here but i would guess you are looking at 24V 70+ pound (I assume you're talking about a bowmount right??)
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Billy,
I have a 17 1/2ft boat with a 36lb bow mount. It is OK on some days and a boy sent to do a man's job on others.
My replacement will be no less than a 24v. 70lb motor.

Good luck,
DropShot'r
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

Billy,
I have a 17 foot 2 inch boat with a 55lb bow mount. It is OK on most days and a boy sent to do a man's job on others. On real windy days I have trouble because although I can usually hold the line I want the battery drains quick. I'm adding a battery this season and that should help

Mick
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

No one ever complains about having too much power...you may not need all the power but murphy's law will catch up at some point if you under power.

I would agree with what is already posted, get as much power as you can afford. You won't regret it.

orrsey
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Like already said, get as much as you can afford......

If it was me I'd go no less than 24V and 80lbs.

I'm putting that on a 16 footer.... because I use it a lot; sometimes in very heavy weed cover, or strong winds.....
Pike Puncher
Participant
Participant

Post by Pike Puncher »

More is definitely better. I have a 16' Lund w/ a 55lb that is perfect about 90% of the time. The ten percent that I wish I had more power, I REALLY wish I had more power. This is especially true in heavy weeds.

Billy
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

With that size of boat your best starting point would be to look at 24V set-ups. They last alot longer during the day and will give you more than enough power to haul your rig around. As far as brands go pick which ever one best suits you. I have a Motorguide digital 82 lb thrust and it has been extremely good but I know Minn Kota has more service centres and more places sell them so they might suit you better.