GPS Info... Anyone?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

GPS Info... Anyone?

Post by cprince »

I know very little about GPS products (and gas stoves...), but from what I have been able to gather; If you get a Garmin, make certain that it is Blue Chart compatible.

This would be for fishing.

That being said; on the Garmin web site, when I look at the model I am interested in, there is a link for additional maps > then click "On The Water" maps. They are all American. I am looking for West Quebec/Eastern Ontario maps.

Am I wasting my time? Or am I just not looking in the right place?

I am looking at a used unit (Garmin GPS V) for $100.

Craig
Méchant Malade
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Méchant Malade »

Do a search with Trak Map
Fishing Family
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishing Family »

Canadian Tire has the water maps
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Merci André! I am a "Know Nothing" when it comes to GPS. But is it normal that the maps are worth more than the unit?

WOW!! That is expensive. No wonder people download them from torrents and pirate boards.

Thanks again!
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

I own 2 Garmin gps units. 1 for my hunting and fishing adventures and 1 for the family van.

The handheld Map 60 is a great unit. It has base maps of north america pre loaded. If you want to use it for hunting and fishing you need to upgrade the software to what is called Topo maps. This lets you load the areas you want to explore in fine detail to the unit from your computer. You will see high detail topograph map data on the unit. If you want to view lake detail such as depths and contours. You need to purchase the software from Trek maps.
Méchant Malade
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Méchant Malade »

For those that need to have the latest trails and upgrade there GPS you can contact: http://www.macarte.ca/
and they can update youre gps with the latest maps. The site is in French but on top left corner you will see a # to call for the English speaking client. They provide a excellent service.
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Northern King »

I just got a Garmin Legent Hcx and it is blue chart compatible. I think you should be able to load in the Canadian Lake maps as long as you are blue chart compatible. So far I only have the topo Canada maps loaded on it but it works really great so far. I will eventually buy the lake maps come the spring.

Cheers,
NK
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Northern King wrote:I just got a Garmin Legent Hcx and it is blue chart compatible. I think you should be able to load in the Canadian Lake maps as long as you are blue chart compatible. So far I only have the topo Canada maps loaded on it but it works really great so far. I will eventually buy the lake maps come the spring.

Cheers,
NK
Mini review of Garmin BlueChart Americas V2008.5:

Keep in mind, this is my first day with a GPS... ever! I am not sure what I was expecting; Google maps quality? Perhaps. Map Quest quality? At least.

So obviously my expectations were too high.

I got Blue Chart Americas - 2008 and loaded it up on my PC.... Not too impressed. Zero detail... all shores are straight and pointy... resolution even on my kick butt PC no better than an etch-a-scetch. No islands, few bridges... half the marinas that I know of (I don't know many) aren't there...

Garbage as a map to guide you into virgin territory. (In my opinion)

Likely a decent way to get back to a way point and marked honey holes. But that has never been a problem for me in the past without a GPS.

.... then I realized I was looking at the Tides and Marine Services Map.

:oops:

What the hell do I know? This is my first day with a GPS!!!

Very good detail. Shows depths, obstructions and buoys and all kinds of stuff. This will take me a while to go through all the detail and what all the icons mean.

My only criticism is a BIG one for me... in fact a deal breaker really... There are NO QC maps. (West Quebec that is...) NO lakes at all. Gatineau River (North of Chelsea Damn) might as well be on Uranus. Same goes for the Ottawa River between Des Chenes and Lemieux Island. But from Britannia north all the way to Temiskaming glorious detail.

Any way... I would say this is great if you are an Ontario resident. If you live and fish mostly in God's country... err... I mean Quebec... leave this one on the shelf and get what Méchant Malade suggested; Trak Map!

That's my $0.02

Craig