Any boat deals to be had this spring?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Any boat deals to be had this spring?

Post by Mr.J. »

It would be great to upgrade my ride this year

Because I have a boat and there really is nothing wrong with it I figure I am in the drivers seat, so to speak

Right boat at right price is what I am looking for

Anyone figure with the economy the way it is there may be some great deals to be had this spring at the boat show?

I want a boat with a bit more room (beam width) a full windshield (cold fishing in November/December) and a stand up canopy

I have a buddy who wants to sell me his boat but he paid 32K for it 2 years ago and I figure he' going to want a lot of that 32K back and I would like to be around 20K for my upgrade
Prairieboy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Prairieboy »

If you have time start trolling :lol: the US dealer sites on eBay or directly through their home sites.

I picked up my boat (Sylvan 1800) new out of the showroom last year in New Hampshire (6.5 hr drive through the hills in Vermont...nice drive) for about 60% of what our local dealer was asking. All in all I got a two day road trip :D out of the deal while saving myself over $14K.

I hate to say it but if you have $20k to spend it is a good time to take advantage of the slumping economy, especially in the US.

One thing to note if the boat is made in the Us the warranty should be transferable but make sure you get a Mercury or Evenrude motor because the imports do not transfer their warranties from the US to Canada.

Importing it was a breeze and if you have any questions drop me a PM. I bought my truck in the states in July 2007 as well so I have been successful twice.

Cheers,
Prairieboy
Prairieboy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Prairieboy »

Here is an example of what I mean, The dealer is selling this LOWE fishing boat and Merc 90 with 60 hrs on it for $12K. It is a bit of a haul to MO but there are many more closer and in NY, NH, CT State once you start looking.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-Lowe- ... otohosting

This is where I bought my boat last summer. Monadnock Boat Store
Phone: (603) 532-5911. He has a bunch of new and used 17/18/19 ft boats for under $20K
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Some things to think about before going state side for bargins. Yes man toys are getting cheap down there but our dollar sucks compared to 6 months ago. Also you should verify if any warranty is transferable to canada.

ATV's are dirt cheap down there but, if you bring it back to Canada, no warranty.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Holly crap :shock:

Don't know too much about Lowe boats but at those prices who cares.

Can you put into a brief note for all of us to read about getting a boat into Canada from the States?

I suspect most here are like me and probably think the hassle wouldn't be worth it.
Prairieboy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Prairieboy »

The choice is yours but unless there is a fire sale around here soon the prices in the US can't be beat. Last summer was awesome and I did luck out a bit and got the exchange and virtually 1:1.

The hassle is minor for a boat and realistically it will take no more than a couple hours of your time to do the prep work before going...that is once you find what you’re looking for. Warranty is the only big thing to think about and I know firsthand that Mercury honors their warranties across the border. I know Sylvan does but you'll have to look into the other hull manufacturers once you find the boat you are looking for.

I also had a cracked bunk on my Karavan trailer this summer. I called them up, registered my ownership and in a week I had two new bunks couriered to my door. I did have to pay the UPS brokerage fee but nothing for the new bunks.

The exchange has slumped a bit and hurts some but have a look at what the asking prices on similar units are around here and there is lots of room still. I forgot to mention earlier that I paid no PST on the boat/motor only paid it on the trailer so there is another 8% in your pocket. If you secure the sale through eBay you are also guaranteed for up to $50K so there is a more confidence there as well if you don't go through an authorized dealership. The guy at Monadnock Boat Store was great and knew exactly what was needed for me to import to Canada before I even asked. When I picked up my boat there were three other Canadians picking up their new boats that weekend.

I'll put together some details and post it later, so stand by No.1. I got to get ready for this New Years Thingie now :D

Happy New Year !

Cheers,
Prairieboy
Prairieboy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Prairieboy »

This is where I started my research and I suggest that you do the same so that you are confident going into this.

http://boating.ncf.ca/buy-usa.html#apr06

This is my recollection of the events and necessary hoops to jump through but like I said before it is only a few hours of your time to save big dollars. It may be wise to give the border crossing you are planning to use a call first to verify the transactions as the rule may have changed…after all it is government. :lol:

IMPORTING A BOAT

US Dealership
• Bill of Sale for Boat
• Bill of Sale for Trailer - This is important as different rules and taxes apply to trailers vs boat & motor
• Temporary Plate for trailer from dealership
• Statement of Origin for trailer and boat so there is no confusion about duty
• Make sure VIN plate on the trailer and S/N on the boat hull are legible as Canada Customs folks look at these.
• Bank Draft and get receipt of payment in full

USA Border Control Service
• Do not send title to boarder services as they only need this for self propelled road vehicles see IMPORTING A VEHICLE
• Drive Right Through for importing a boat

Canada Customs - Canada Border Services Agency
In Canada: 1-800-461-9999 (English) ; 1-800-959-2036 (French)
Outside Canada: (506) 636-5064 (English) ; (506) 636-5067 (French)
www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca
• Bill of Sale(s) - (Trailer one is Faxed to RIV)
• Statement of Origin to avoid paying duty
• Vehicle Import Form (FORM 1) - ( Faxed to RIV)
• Pay GST, Federal Inspection Fee (RIV Fee) for boat and trailer – (Proof of Payment Faxed to RIV)

RIV
Tel:1-888-848-8240
Fax: (416) 626-0366
email:info@riv.ca
• Verify Form 1 was Faxed by CBSA
• Verify Proof of Payment from CBSA
• Call RIV 3 days later
• Request to have Federal inspection (Form 2) emailed to you otherwise wait for the snail mail version

Canadian Tire
• Go to Canadian Tire to have trailer inspected with forms 1 & 2 and have Form 2 - Federal Inspection/Provincial Form Completed (Double Stamped) and then faxed back to RIV

Motor Vehicles Branch
• Transit Permit if US dealer didn’t give you one
• Insurance - get it for the journey home
• Title – if used
• Bill of Sale for trailer. Don’t take the one for the boat near these guys as it is out of their jurisdiction
• Federal inspection Form and Form 1 &2 (double stamped)
• Pay for plates, annual registration and PST for trailer
Canada Services Branch
• Register Your Boat – Take Bill of Sale and Proof of GST Payment

IMPORTING A ROAD VEHICLE – (Mine was a GM)

US Dealership
• Title Transferred
• Bill of Sale
• Fax send message/confirmation number

USA Border Control Service
• Send title by fax (Detroit allows Fax but NY state crossing do not and you’ll have to courier original - required by some crossings) 72 hours prior to export
• Call USA BCS office to confirm date stamp
• Original Title
• Original Bill of Sale

Canada Customs - Canada Border Services Agency
In Canada: 1-800-461-9999 (English) ; 1-800-959-2036 (French)
Outside Canada: (506) 636-5064 (English) ; (506) 636-5067 (French)
www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca
• Released/Stamped Title - (Faxed to RIV)
• Bill of Sale - (Faxed to RIV)
• Vehicle Import Form (FORM 1) - ( Faxed to RIV)
• Pay GST, A/C Tax, SUV Tax, Federal Inspection Fee (RIV Fee) – (Proof of Payment Faxed to RIV)

GM Canada
(888) 467-6853 – (905) 440-7689 – (905) 440-7644
• GM Vehicle Inquiry Systems Summary - (Fax Recall Clearance Letter to RIV)

RIV
Tel:1-888-848-8240
Fax: (416) 626-0366
email:info@riv.ca
• Fax GM Vehicle Inquiry Systems Summary (Recall Clearance Letter) if not done by GM
• Verify Form 1 was Faxed by CBSA
• Verify Proof of Payment from CBSA
• Call RIV 3 days later
• Request to have Federal inspection (Form 2) emailed to you

Canadian Tire
• Go to Canadian Tire with forms 1 & 2 and have Form 2 - Federal Inspection/Provincial Form Completed and then faxed to RIV

Motor Vehicles Branch
• Transit Permit
• Insurance
• Title
• Bill of Sale
• Federal inspection Form and Form 1 &2 (double stamped)
• Pay for plates, annual registration and PST

Happy Importing
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Holly Cow :shock: :shock:

Thanks PB

Wow what a great post
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Mr J

Importing a boat is very easy. The only thing that Prairei biy left out is get the vin of the trailer first and cal RIV to make sure that you can bring it in.

Other than that separate bills of sale for boat motor and trailer. Have cash cheque (up to 4 k) or credit card for payment of taxes at the border.

Took me 30 minutes to process through last may when I brought my boat up

this was done a 1 am. They never asked for me to unwrap the boat cover either.

Even with a 20k premium you will save money. especially on a used boat.
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Exactly what i did last spring. Went across the boarder and picked up an 05' at a great price especially since the dollar was at par. It's technically worth even more now the dollar has slipped. If i did the same today it'd cost me another 5-6k+ :roll:

The import process was very easy and as long as you feel comfortable with who you're dealing with, AND you do all your homework it can be a great choice. :D

Another point, don't stop at the US customs on the way back.. you don't need to. Just stop at canadian customs... tell them you bought a boat/trailer and then pull over t ofill out the papaerwork.
Prairieboy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Prairieboy »

Importing a boat is very easy. The only thing that Prairei biy left out is get the vin of the trailer first and cal RIV to make sure that you can bring it in.

Other than that separate bills of sale for boat motor and trailer. Have cash cheque (up to 4 k) or credit card for payment of taxes at the border.

Ahhhh....yes I forgot that one. I knew I was getting a new trailer from a authorized manufacturer (Karavan are also sold in Canada) so it was without issue. I have heard of guys not being able to get the trailers through customs because the VIN plate was not legible but the RIV also as to approve it as importable. They have a good section on what is and isn't importable on their website so check the link I provided above. They are also really good to talk to and will answer any questions you may have.

BTW: Champ, $4K what kind of boat did you buy? :shock: 5% GST on $20K CDN is $1000 plus $200 for RIV is $1200. But yours is a really important point. The CBSA folks need to collect the GST right there and then or they will not let you go nor will they fax the forms for the trailer off to the RIV.

Cheers,
Prairieboy
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Prairieboy wrote:
Importing a boat is very easy. The only thing
that Prairieboy left out is get the vin of the trailer first and cal RIV to make
sure that you can bring it in.

Other than that separate bills of sale for boat motor and trailer. Have cash
cheque (up to 4 k) or credit card for payment of taxes at the border.

BTW: Champ, $4K what kind of boat did you buy? :shock: 5% GST on $20K
CDN is $1000 plus $200 for RIV is $1200. But yours is a really important
point. The CBSA folks need to collect the GST right there and then or they
will not let you go nor will they fax the forms for the trailer off to the RIV.

Cheers,
Prairieboy
The cheque limit I quoted may be high as I had to pay by credit card. I had
been drving for 13 hours so I was a little loopy when I got to the border.

It may be 2000$ as I seem to recall that they would only take a single pay
method ( cash or cheque or credit card) not a combination of cheque and credit card.

I had to pay PST on the boat and motor. it was a new boat. so I ended up
paying 13%. I paid PST on the trailer when I picked up the license.

If CBSA does not collect PST you will eventually pay it after the boat is
registered through services Canda as they will inform Ontario of your
purchase.

Although I am unsure about the rules on used private boats sales.

Adding to the cost of trav eling 1500 miles for my boat was an overnight
stay, food and gas when gas was going way up. Total travel costs was 400$
fasttroll
Participant
Participant

Post by fasttroll »

If buying in the States, make very sure that you retain the receipt that border services will give you acknowledging payment of the PST at the border. I bought a boat worth 50k plus a few years back, paid thousands in PST at the border, registered the boat provincially with no problems, then received a nasty letter from the provincial government more than a year later, demanding proof that I had paid PST, otherwise I would face financial penalties. Amazingly, there was (and I'll bet still is not) any meaningful communication between the federal border services, who collects the PST, and the province, to whom the funds are delivered by the feds. The feds simply give the province lump-sum amounts with no information as to which honest taxpayers paid it and for what item. I wouldn't hesitate to buy again in the States, but you have to keep your paperwork!
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

boat prices

Post by Mick »

fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

Hey Mr. J,
If you decide to stay in Canada to buy your boat I would try to find an 08 or even an 07 model left over. Any of the new 09's are alot more than last year because of the dollar taking a dive. I am hearing about 20-25% increases over last year from alot of dealers. The same is true for new gear and tackle as well :cry: I have seen a few left over 08's at some good prices within a few hours of where you are. Alot of the dealers are also having a hard time right now with the economy(especially in southern ontario) and they may be anxious to get rid of some stock at good prices. Take your time, shop around and you should be able to find a great deal close to home.