Portable GPS Advice/Opinions

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
digitalchef
Participant
Participant

Portable GPS Advice/Opinions

Post by digitalchef »

Hi All;
Well the season will soon be upon us and the wife gave me the ok for a new toy!
I'm looking at the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx Portable Navigation System at BestBuy for around $300. Anybody have any experience with this model or somthing similar?
I really want somthing thats colour, usb & allows for waypoint input. ( gotta mark those honey holes)

Thanks for any help
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

I purchased a non mapping Garmin 76 six years ago and have been satisfied with it. Garmin GPS units are easy to learn to operate. I purchased mine from Prairie Geomatics - see http://www.prairie.mb.ca/index.php in Manitoba due to good pricing. They're selling the Etrex Legend HCx at $229 according to their web site. GPS City Canada (Calgary) - see http://www.gpscity.ca/handheld-gps is advertising the Etrex Legend HCx at $209. Delivery from such places is normally 3 days after you order.

You might consider spending a few more dollars to get a Garmin GPSMAP 76Cx model (bigger display and floats). GPS City Canada is advertising it at $299
Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Terry_F »

Digtalchef

I'm guessing that you're using it mostly on the water.
Get one that supports Navionics maps with depth data.
I have the Lowrance H2O and the Canadian Chip.

I used to run a Garmin a few years ago, it was great for getting back to the dock, tracking where I'd been and marking waypoints, but now that I have the Nav chip I have depth data right at my fingertips as well as tracking, waypoints etc.
H2O B/W unit, plus map chip for around $400.

Hope this helps.
gkehoe
Participant
Participant

Post by gkehoe »

Before you buy I would suggest you look at the Garmin 60CSx. Available many places and I would recommend checking out the price at GPS City Canada.

Bought one last year, plus the Garmin Bluewater charts for eastern Canada (specifically use the Ottawa River section, used it for river travel and muskie fishing. WORTH EVERY PENNY! Bought a RAM mount that works in my boat and in the car. Just purchased the Topo maps for Canada for it for land/canoeing use.

I am certain there are many great products out there but you will not be unhappy with the 60CSx.

Gary
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Handheld gps

Post by Joey Rat »

I'd have to agree with the Garmin advice and I have a Lowrance H20c.

It's okay but I have had some trouble with external power. If I was starting over I'd have a more serious look at the Garmins.

Check out the Garmin 60 CX. Its a model down or maybe the previous year from the 60 CSX but my buddy got a real good deal on one. The retailer was selling them off because everybody wanted the CSX which wasn't that much more expensive.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Some great advice here so far, the only thing I would add is try to figure out what unit you will use in the future. If you are looking to add a large scale SONAR/GPS unit installed in your boat - like an LMS520c the upgrade from Lowrance H2O is straight forward. Same menus/interface, same data, same mapping data and charts that are easily transfered via a SD card that can be purchased anywhere.

Once you pick a manufacturer like Garmin or Lowrance you will need to stick with it over time as the cost to purchase new maps is the most expensive part of your purchase.

Fish On.

-sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
digitalchef
Participant
Participant

thanks for the advice!!

Post by digitalchef »

Thanks to all who replied.
I'm gonna be using which ever unit i get primarily for chest wading and for canoeing on the rideau.
I'm also getting one of the humminbird wireless castable sonar systems...pretty neat device for my purposes.