Reason for concern

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Reason for concern

Post by Bass assassin »

Ok, so I just bought a boat trailer and 9.9 motor and I know nothing about motors. I have had it in the garage for the past few days and noticed that there is a little bit of oil on the concrete under the motor. Looks like some of the seams in the shaft of the motor where the lower unit attached to the upper has a tiny bit of oil. There is a tablespoon sized amount of white cloudy (water and oil) coming from the inside rim of the prop housing. Is this reason for alarm? I don;t want to be leaking into the waters while I am fishing. I am guessing it could be the seals, but how expensive a repair is this and how much should I be worried?
BA
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Inside the prop housing, that is where the exhaust comes out of my 15 Merc.
But enough to drip on the gound? I am not sure of that. If you just bought that motor and you are as mechanically inclined as I am, do your self a favour and bring it in to a mechanic and get it serviced. For a couple of 100 bucks, he can have it running like new.
Last edited by Wallyboss on Sun May 06, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

I would be taking a look at the lower end lube. My small outboard doesn't exhaust at the prop.