Eagle Cuda 168 Fish Finder

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
-Smitty-
Participant
Participant

Eagle Cuda 168 Fish Finder

Post by -Smitty- »

just wondering if anyone has experience with the eagle Cuda 168 fish finder

looking to get an affordable portable fish finder for ice fishing and soft water, would like to know if people have any opinions about pros and cons of this model.

thanks in advance for any help

Smitty
jmikail
Participant
Participant

Post by jmikail »

I have the portable version.

It does a great job for my purposes. Last season, I rented boats every other week and went fishing with it. I use it more for sonar and not so much for "finding" fish but it is worth the money. I would not upgrade to anything less than colour sonar/GPS after the Cuda because it serves its purpose that well.

I would suggest that you buy rechargeable batteries because it goes through them after a couple/few full days of fishing.
x-Toban
Participant
Participant

Post by x-Toban »

I also got the portable version last summer but only got to use it on ice for this very short season. So far I like it alot. This is my first sonar device and from what I've read, this is a great begginers machine.

I got rechargable batteries for it (8 AAs) and I only charged them up once this winter!!! Not a heavy user though!!!

I say go for it and in a couple of years you choose to upgrade then you'll have a unit to trade in or a great back-up for your fishing partner.
garzleflop
Participant
Participant

Post by garzleflop »

How about the Eagle Fishmark 320 Portable? It's more expensive than the Cuda but it seems to offer quite a bit more. Cabela has a portable kit which includes a rechargeable battery pack and a zippered carying case.
jmikail
Participant
Participant

Post by jmikail »

garzleflop wrote:How about the Eagle Fishmark 320 Portable? It's more expensive than the Cuda but it seems to offer quite a bit more. Cabela has a portable kit which includes a rechargeable battery pack and a zippered carying case.
I am sure that it has more detail (maybe 16 levels of gray instead of the 4 levels on the 168). If you are buying your first sonar then it probably wont make a difference since it takes a little time on the water to read the screen really well. Oh, and the screen is slightly larger (5" vs. 4").