Trolling motor help??

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
big_ski
Participant
Participant

Trolling motor help??

Post by big_ski »

Hey guys, looking to buy a stern mount trolling motor for my little aluminum.. its only a 12 footer and my 7.5 is a little too quick in slow water.. I want a new motor, but I don't want to spend a lot on it.

If anyone has any suggestions of make/model, size, anything will help..

thanks a lot in advance guys..

Tight Lines.

Ski.
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

Post by Lunkerlurker »

You might go for an minn kota endura 30. It a 30 lbs trust transom mount and avail at CNDTire for about 150$-170$. Cheap and reliable TM.
I used it on a narrow 14' alum boat at it was OK except when there was strong winds.

One more thing: don't buy their Nautilus battery they don't hold charge very much.

Hope that helps.

LL
jmikail
Participant
Participant

Post by jmikail »

For a 12' boat, the "experts" recommend a 30lb thrust motor but the battery will be drained within a few hours of your use it continuously for actual trolling at high speeds.

The Minn Kota Endura (mentioned above) is about $120 at Bass Pro and there is a Bass Pro model (Prowler) that might be a bit less.

If you plan to keep the trolling motor for a few years, then save up for a Minn Kota Maxxum 33lb thrust (or even the 40lb thrust since Minn Kota is not making the 33lb anymore). It uses MUCH less battery power but costs about $340 (more or less).

In short, you only need a 30lb thrust but it would not hurt to get a stronger one. In addition, you will need a quality deep cycle battery and marine charger.

It is definitely not cheap. I learned that the hard way.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Big-Ski, I know where you can get a used 36lb thrust tiller mount minn-kota trolling motor, and I know first hand it works very well. Let me know if your interested and I will tell you where it is. Only used 1 season by the way.

Don