how deep should my prop be in the water?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Gravelguy4
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

how deep should my prop be in the water?

Post by Gravelguy4 »

I have a 14ft starcraft utility fishing boat. I used to have a short shaft 15hp motor but recently my father in law has given me a 25hp long shaft motor. Obviously there is a difference in how deep the prop is in the water now and depending on what notch i have the motor position in, this can be down right dangerous. So I need to get my transom built up, which i am planning to have done by a professional but I would like to hear your take on how deep the prop should be. On the old short shaft motor, only the lower half of the cone on the front of the prop was below the boat. Should my new motor be in the same position?

i'm so confused.. :lol:

Thanks for sticking with the long read.

keith
bass ackwards
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

motor height

Post by bass ackwards »

I believe the cavatation plate should be at the level of the bottom of the boat. :roll:
Haybay Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

motor

Post by Haybay Larry »

Gravelguy,
Bass ackwards has it right. With the cavitation plate in the water it will maneuver correctly and be easy to use.
It seems that if your old motor was only barely submerged[half the cone] you might have had some steering issues as well as inadequate cooling because at that point you barely have the water inlets submerged on the cone assembly....larry
Gravelguy4
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gravelguy4 »

Thanks Guys,

I thought the old one was a little shallow. Atleast i can get this one set up to run well.

Thanks again.
I appreciate it.

Keith