Any resident four stroke mechanics on board?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Jimmy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Any resident four stroke mechanics on board?

Post by Jimmy »

Nice weather yesterday... so I decided to finish the oil change in my 05' 115hp Merc 4/s...
Done the fogging and drained the lower unit in the fall just didnt get to the oil change.

Undid the oil drain plug yesterday... noticed what I think was water :shock: :shock: (or could have been fuel from when I turned the motor over while fogging)come out first then some perty black oil. Unforutnatley was not ready for the volume the oil poured out at.. so some of it hit the floor, so I could not inspect the pan for water. The oil was not milky or anything... nor was it milky last fall when I would check it...

Would condensation make its way to the crank case and seperate over the winter? Motor ran as smooth as glass... dont think I have a cracked head or broken gasket...
What do you think?

UPDATE:
Think I solved my own mystery... used a heavier grade of oil (20w)to fog my engine in the fall. Sounds like it settled to the bottom of the crank case. Was still pretty clean... Looked like water...
Thats why the oil wasn't milky..

DEAR MERCURY:
I PROMISE TO CHANGE MY OIL MID SEASON!
Last edited by Jimmy on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

I'll be interested in the follow up of this one. I have the same motor on my new boat. I had mine winterized at a dealer because of the waranty so they changed the oil.

Interesting that your oil was black, can you remember roughly how many hours you put on it??
Jimmy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jimmy »

ady wrote:I'll be interested in the follow up of this one. I have the same motor on my new boat. I had mine winterized at a dealer because of the waranty so they changed the oil.

Interesting that your oil was black, can you remember roughly how many hours you put on it??
If it wasn't so damned inconvienient (I'm about an hour and a half away from my dealer)I would have gone to the dealer also.. but I checked the manual and followed the instructions and winterized it myself ...

Hours... would be close or slightly over the 100...
Think I solved the mystery anyway... recheck my original post.
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mikemicropterus »

:? Jimmy I'm confused now. What did you do to winterize your engine. I have mercury outboard certification na d am a bit bewildered by your explanation. Did you drain the oil and not replenish it? I have read and reread your post. I am trying to figure out how the oil you used for fogging could get into the crankase. I think what you saw was condesation not oil. I suspect you put some oil in each cylinder and turned over the engine. Now if that oil got into the crankcase that would mean that crankcase oil will get into the combustion cahmber and thatn is not good. Was all the water drained out of the motor beforing storage???
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Read my Blogs on http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/auth ... rstorm-ca/

Listen to Podcasts on http://www.spreaker.com/show/lanark_county_confidential
Jimmy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jimmy »

mikemicropterus wrote::? Jimmy I'm confused now. What did you do to winterize your engine. I have mercury outboard certification na d am a bit bewildered by your explanation. Did you drain the oil and not replenish it? I have read and reread your post. I am trying to figure out how the oil you used for fogging could get into the crankase. I think what you saw was condesation not oil. I suspect you put some oil in each cylinder and turned over the engine. Now if that oil got into the crankcase that would mean that crankcase oil will get into the combustion cahmber and thatn is not good. Was all the water drained out of the motor beforing storage???
Trying to reach you by phone... whats a good time?
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

got my boat ready for the water test - and noticed the oil was a little high - probably from the winterize by a dealer. So I thought I would take alittle out just to be safe. On removing the drain plug I too noticed what looked like water come out before the oil. The rest of the oil was clean as expected. I shall be watching this and maybe contact Mercury.

2005 Mercury 115 4s
Jimmy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Way to coincidental!

Post by Jimmy »

ady wrote:got my boat ready for the water test - and noticed the oil was a little high - probably from the winterize by a dealer. So I thought I would take alittle out just to be safe. On removing the drain plug I too noticed what looked like water come out before the oil. The rest of the oil was clean as expected. I shall be watching this and maybe contact Mercury.

2005 Mercury 115 4s
Kinda funny coincedence...
I would call the dealer and ask him... would like to know what he says.
I did the winterize mine myself... so I have no one to call. Mike thinks it was condensation. Would be interested in hearing what your dealer or Mercury says.

I ran my motor for the first time yesterday in the drive way.. thing purred like a kitten.. checked oil again.. looked good.

Maybe a little paranoid :? Better safe than sorry!
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Way to coincidental!

Post by ady »

Jimmy wrote:I ran my motor for the first time yesterday in the drive way.. thing purred like a kitten.. checked oil again.. looked good
Did the same. All looked well. Will contact the dealer I took it to and get back to you.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Dropped into the dealer on the way home. He said it was probably condensation given the small amount of water concerned and the fact that the boat had not been anywhere near water since the new oil went in. I guess this is one we will have to check on after future winters. Another reason I guess why we have to use marine grade oil - I believe it can handle more water contamination before problems occur. I think I shall me monitoring my oil on a very regular basis from now on just in case.
Jimmy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Oil

Post by Jimmy »

ady wrote:Dropped into the dealer on the way home. He said it was probably condensation given the small amount of water concerned and the fact that the boat had not been anywhere near water since the new oil went in. I guess this is one we will have to check on after future winters. Another reason I guess why we have to use marine grade oil - I believe it can handle more water contamination before problems occur. I think I shall me monitoring my oil on a very regular basis from now on just in case.
Mike was telling me that he believes the Mercury Oil is synthetic or a synthetic blend. Thats why the price and its ability to hold up.

Also... is your motor and boat stored in the garage in winter?
Mine is.. and it is unhaeated... so ... cold ... then warm.. the cold... hence the condensation..
But as you say... will be watching close
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Oil

Post by ady »

Jimmy wrote:Also... is your motor and boat stored in the garage in winter?
Mine is.. and it is unhaeated... so ... cold ... then warm.. the cold... hence the condensation..
But as you say... will be watching close
Same, in a garage, unheated. this has been a great post for the 4s novice that I am. I have lots to look for now to keep her sweet